Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Daley

55 minutes ago, abc said:

Bran problems...

Sansa: Can we trust Cersei to honour her word?

Jon Snow: I think so.

Sansa: Let's ask Bran. Bran, what did Cerseri do immediately after the meeting?

Bran: She met with Euron to instigate an epic back-stab against us.

Jon Snow: Ah. Well, we'd better deal with that turn of events then.

Jon Snow: Any news from the wall while we've been away?

Sansa: No, we haven't heard from Eastwatch. But let's ask Bran. Bran, is it all quiet at the wall? And can you send some ravens to go and tave a look at what the Night's King is up to?

Bran: Oh dear.

Jon Snow: Well, we'd better deal with that turn of events then.

If they don't ask Bran for info constantly, they all look like idiots. If it does, that's all intrigue ruined from now on.

Are there any outstanding mysteries left from the past that they could clear up by asking Bran?

The Night King thing he'd be able to help with and that would make sense and will probably happen.

The Cersei thing would presumably be harder as there's a reasonably large window for him to try and get the dirt on her, seeing as he wouldn't know exactly when and where to travel to. He also quite possibly wouldn't be concerned with trivialities of the Iron Throne anymore.

12 hours ago, Escaped said:

@Gommy

Reveal hidden contents

I've always wondered why Allam didn't return. I guessed it might be because he was filming Endeavour at the time, but he must've been available again at some point hence. Arya's the only one who might know that Varys was a bit shifty (and Operation Newtree), but as viewers, we've latterly been led to believe that everything he did was realmsmanning for the good.

Can anyone think of anything he's done that might be open to interpretation? Onscreen, that is. My memory's not what it was, but I can't. He was wonderfully grey in that first series.

Chekhov. ;)

Heh, fair cop. Turns out I talk about Star Trek more than Russian literature as my autocorrect only knows the former :lol:

4 hours ago, abc said:

I did find it a bit odd when they said King's Landing had more people in it (1 million) than the entire North. I don't have a problem with the actual numbers: while most medieval cities were tiny by modern standards, the larger ones (e.g. London) were huge.

However, in terms of the show's events, it gave me pause. I thought the North posed a serious threat to Cersei (even after being devastated by civil war). Surely if King's Landing had so many people, surely the Lannisters would have an incredibly strong power base (taxes, manpower), in addition to their own lands, they would have stomped the North long ago?

It's numbers of fighting men, I would guess. It's grim up north, so every northerner is a fighting man. There's more money and jobs in the south, so only actual soldiers would be fit to fight. Your average Northerner can easily batter the shit out of your average southerner and make the southerners bird hold his pint whole he did it, essentially.

Can't imagine where they got the ideas for that from...

At the risk of this turning into a chains argument

Spoiler

Why did they need Cersei's army to begin with? Jon's already held off one attack on the wall in an earlier season with next to no men, and they were capable blokes rather than shambling corpses. Just take all the armies to the wall and have them properly man it until it gets warm again. Instead they send a tiny team on a long trudge North without any dragonglass, get fucked up, and then leave 2 blokes guarding their best defensive asset while they fly off to convince Cersei there's trouble brewing from where they just came from. Course there bloody is, they just left a dragon corpse right next to the bloke who they already know "leaves no corpses on the battlefield".

It would have made more sense for Dany to become a believer in the walkers (or at least, in Jon's word) and place all her armies protecting the wall. Then end the season with the cliffhanger of Cersei's army (commanded by Jaime) making a surprise approach from the South as the walkers approach from beyond the wall. Which would leave Jon and Dany pinned between two armies. C'mon, that's a waaaaaaaaaay better predicament.

The plot of season 8 could then be about convincing Jaime of the danger North of the wall, and eventually merging Cersei's army with theirs to fight off the invasion. You can still do the whole frost dragon smashing through the wall bit, in a far less awkwardly reaching and silly way, and have the armies retreat to Winterfell to meet up with the Starks/Brienne etc. This would put almost everyone in the same place, back where the series started, with no fast travel required.

The plotting is a catastrophe the more you think about it.

5 hours ago, abc said:

I did find it a bit odd when they said King's Landing had more people in it (1 million) than the entire North. I don't have a problem with the actual numbers: while most medieval cities were tiny by modern standards, the larger ones (e.g. London) were huge.

However, in terms of the show's events, it gave me pause. I thought the North posed a serious threat to Cersei (even after being devastated by civil war). Surely if King's Landing had so many people, surely the Lannisters would have an incredibly strong power base (taxes, manpower), in addition to their own lands, they would have stomped the North long ago?

Difference between occupation and wiping out their armies I'd imagine. Always took the North to being analogous to Scotland with sheer distance and the terrain making it difficult to hold. The other option might have been a harrowing of the North, that doesn't come without consequences though.

3 hours ago, abc said:

Bran problems...

Sansa: Can we trust Cersei to honour her word?

Jon Snow: I think so.

Sansa: Let's ask Bran. Bran, what did Cerseri do immediately after the meeting?

Bran: She met with Euron to instigate an epic back-stab against us.

Jon Snow: Ah. Well, we'd better deal with that turn of events then.

Jon Snow: Any news from the wall while we've been away?

Sansa: No, we haven't heard from Eastwatch. But let's ask Bran. Bran, is it all quiet at the wall? And can you send some ravens to go and tave a look at what the Night's King is up to?

Bran: Oh dear.

Jon Snow: Well, we'd better deal with that turn of events then.

If they don't constantly ask Bran for info, they all look like idiots. If they do, that's all the intrigue ruined from now on.

Are there any outstanding mysteries left from the past that they could clear up by asking Bran?

Nah, not really. Bran has said that he has little control over his powers and he is learning as he goes. I am certain that he can't just see whatever he wants at will, which is also proven by the fact he hadn't gone back by himself to find out what happened with Jon's father and Lyanna. He needed extra information. We still do not know how the powers of the three eyed raven work or what is his purpose.

As for secrets, well, no one but Bran knows that it was Jaime who pushed him out of the window.

My predicted dead by the end:

Spoiler

Cersei (Tyrion, after trying to kill her newborn daughter born a dwarf who he saves and names Joanna), Jaime (killing The Night's King), Jorah (saving Dany), Daenerys (childbirth), the Mountain (in the horriblest way possible), the Hound (saving Brienne), Dondarrion (like a BOSS), Euron (Theon), Theon (saving Jon), undead Ghost (by Jon :( ), Qyburn (eaten).

I reckon

Bran will be dead before the end of next season. Cant have someone that powerful being left alive. He'll probably die after telling Jon and proving it all somehow, then kick  the bucket. Possibly dragon warging somewhere in-between it all, for the fan service.

I got the impression Bran needs some kind of anchor to see what's going on around, at least at his current state of power. He knew Ned and he is there in winterfell with littlefinger. He needs Sam to tell him about the event with rhaegar, then he can visualise it. With the undead he wargs the crows to spy on them, not uses his visions. But yeah, he's a bit of a wildcard when the only reasons he can't see things are so vague. But c'mon, compare that to a billion other stories with visions and seers and its no different, so it doesn't bother me that much.

Love that tweet from gingernut and mr.notdead. I'm personally praying for the next season finale to feature Gingernut finally getting to boff Brienne after some brutal battle.

I was just thinking the Dothraki are gonna fking hate the north. They'll be useless up there and I bet the undead scare the crap out of the horses making the Dothraki only half as good.

I love the idea that the series will end with another kind of cycle, personally I'd be really surprised if everything is nice and sorted out. I can imagine the possibility of the undead reaching kings landing and fulfilling Danys vision, all the best fights for survival are when the heroes have their backs against the wall, and in this case even the wall's fucked. I guess the big question is whether the undead dominate the whole rest of the story or if there will be a period of infighting after they are dealt with (if they are dealt with!). Although I can't see it happening imagine an ending where the undead have pretty much won and the survivors have to scatter to the islands abandoning westeros. I'd be up for a game of thrones version 2, where next summer the remnants squabble over retaking the continent. Ah well, let's enjoy the rest of the show whilst we have it.

Bran is a big target for the Night's King, isn't he. 

I think Jaime's gonna save him. Story arc complete. 

And the Hound goes down saving Brienne so she escape with the girls. And Nymeria helps him. Theon will sacrifice himself for Jon. Jon will have to kill undead Ghost. Beric will go down in a blaze of agonising glory.

Oh god, it's going to be utterly nail biting!!! I'm welling up already...!

HAVE THEY FINISHED FILMING YET??

Edit: omg, Jamie uses Oath Keeper on him - the sword to protect Catlyn Stark's children  :omg:

ARGH! I need to go to sleep! (Maybe I should email GRRM first to tell him how it ends....)

Nothing to happen to our Tormund other than he'll have the option to style himself with a new title: "Dragon's bane".

And Davos is Gendry's hand of the king! BOOM! I'm done. Sleep. 

(edited my predicted dead to tweak Cersei's demise...)

19 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Hide contents

Considering that they didn't know the undead was going to be unboxed, how would they know to stage Euron giving up? The only way that makes sense is that she goes to him afterwards and convinces him of her plan. Whatcha reckon?

E7

Euron was always under orders to collect the elephant army, so I guess we're to assume that he played it by ear when a great excuse for being absent presented itself.

19 hours ago, scottcr said:

Hide contents

I was partly expecting at some point this series for Littlefinger's body to be discovered or something as he was still walking around Winterfell and going OH HOLY SHIT!

E7

Jaqen's Rentals actually bought his face after he died in season one, but his customers all had tracking issues. He should definitely go to King's Landing now with a Bristolian accent.

19 hours ago, abc said:

No, it's just that Arya couldn't stand next to the tall crenelation because she wouldn't be able to see, and Sansa refused to budge along.

Sans_Ar.png

18 hours ago, Andy_Why said:

Please, PLEASE let this happen. I'd like his entire army to explode as Ned lands the pile-driver, ideally. Then fade to black. FIN.

And can we have Ned shouting GRITTY BAFTA as he does it?