rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

1 minute ago, Alan Stock said:

Why do people want the dragon to rise up from the lake by itself? The white walkers gotta touch them to make them undead anyway.

Do they? I thought in the last season when Jon first fights them and the free folk get butchered. Then Jon and co escape by boat, didn't the night king just raise his hand and all the dead on both sides rose up? Or have I misremembered that.

2 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Why do people want the dragon to rise up from the lake by itself? The white walkers gotta touch them to make them undead anyway. 

This has not been established, and wasn't true for the wights at castle black or at hardhome.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Oooh, no, don't do that. While I agree that some of the nit-picking is unnecessary/a bit anal (and some really isn't), the 'could write/sing/play/paint it yourself better then, could you?' is such spurious reasoning that it makes my teeth hurt. 

I am only saying that because if you (well, not you specifically, you know what I mean) start calling the creators stupid and incompetent writers and that they have ruined the show because they could have done this and that, sounds like you think you know better.

They could have written a reason for Daenerys to already be at Eastwatch - e.g. she realises she has a serious bonk on for Jon and rides off to stop him going north of the Wall, but arrives too late. Then have it be more of a surprise that rescue comes.

1 minute ago, sir shrew said:

This has not been established, and wasn't true for the wights at castle black or at hardhome.

My mistake, I thought the wight at castle black was already turned. And yes hardhome but that was kind of proximity and I figure the little minions are pretty easy to turn. It didn't really bother me here, because apart from being for dramatic purposes I kinda figure that dragons are these huge beasts and probably magical in some way, so they require extra effort to turn.

2 minutes ago, Alask said:

Do they? I thought in the last season when Jon first fights them and the free folk get butchered. Then Jon and co escape by boat, didn't the night king just raise his hand and all the dead on both sides rose up? Or have I misremembered that.

The reason he touches the dragon is to show how different it is from simply raising people. It makes sense that this great beast would need a personal touch by the NK.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, BlinkyBear said:

Part of the problem is that it doesn't feel like an enjoyable exercise at all to "dissect " things in this manner. It's like those horrendous YouTube channels that decry the quality of a film because a glass moved from one shot to the next. Joyless, proto-analysis that only succeeds on a personal and innane level. 

Nope.  I'm terrible at noticing these details and don't set out to dissect anything.  But my natural response to the sudden appearance of the biggest chains in the world was, 'oh, where did they get those?'

• Upvote 2

Just now, SpagMasterSwift said:

The 'Hold The Door' thing was stupid tho, at least we can all agree with that right?

I was thinking yesterday that Bran has to have some major role still to play, or all that shit they went through up there was for nothing other than a few visions.

Dragon warg and possibly starting the whole thing and being connected to the NK, or becoming Max Von Siddow. 

His scenes this season have been so pointless with his dialogue having no impact on the plot despite him knoI don't knowing everything, I don't know why they didn't just have him permanently eyerolled/spazzed.

1 hour ago, abc said:

So if Jon Snow's head flew off, flew round the moon, landed back on his shoulders and he carried on talking, and no explanation or comment was ever offered, then that would be fine...

It would work in Twin Peaks but then I suppose that kind of thing is established lore in that show.

• Upvote 1

Worth a quick rewatch at this point I think. 

Daenerys in the House of the Undying

Bran's visions

36 minutes ago, Garibaldi said:

Oooh, no, don't do that. While I agree that some of the nit-picking is unnecessary/a bit anal (and some really isn't), the 'could write/sing/play/paint it yourself better then, could you?' is such spurious reasoning that it makes my teeth hurt. 

Well why don't you pull them out yourself if you're such a good dentist? That's if they even really are your own teeth.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Camel said:

Nope.  I'm terrible at noticing these details and don't set out to dissect anything.  But my natural response to the sudden appearance of the biggest chains in the world was, 'oh, where did they get those?'

Indeed. People will accept anything if it's clearly and consistently established within the rules of that world - that's why they're cool with dragons and magic zombies - so when a lot of people react with "where did they get those giant chains?" in a scene where they're supposed to go "holy fuck, were gonna get a zombie dragon!!1!" it says the makers fucked up there.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, sir shrew said:

Two completely different beasts. If they aren't touched they seem to come back as wights, but when he does lay hands on them like he did with Craster's Kids, they turn into white walkers and can still age and grow.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BlinkyBear said:

Other things to consider: where did Danny get her new coat from? What is it made of? Did she just have a winter coat lying around or have one made really quickly when the raven arrived?

Where does all this wine come from? I've never seen a grape in the show, so where does all the wine come from? Do different regions produce their own variation? Do they have vintages? Why do they only drink red wine?

Have you tried white wine? 

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, BlinkyBear said:

I cannot fathom people who are essentially complaining that the episode was ruined because we didn't get a long explanation about some fucking chains. 

Absolutely mental. 

Other things to consider: where did Danny get her new coat from? What is it made of? Did she just have a winter coat lying around or have one made really quickly when the raven arrived?

Where does all this wine come from? I've never seen a grape in the show, so where does all the wine come from? Do different regions produce their own variation? Do they have vintages? Why do they only drink red wine?

How do they build the big castles? I haven't seen a quarry where stone is being mined so how do they make the castles? 

I could go on, but fuck that noise. 

That's some olympic level false equivalence dude

13 hours ago, The Fox said:

All this is pure book stuff though. I know the 'The books don't exist' thing has rightly been relaxed a bit these days but idk, seems potentially confusing to talk about stuff from the books that the show specifically omitted, without explicitly stating as such.

I'll be honest, I thought the Cersei flashback scene in season five mentioned something about a valonqar. My mistake, I must be thinking of a different TV show. Apologies.

1 minute ago, Benny said:

Am I the only person who didn't even notice or care about the chains until reading this thread?

No.

Spoiler

I did notice that they put a blanket over Thoros' body and then burned him immediately.  What a ridiculous waste of material - it looked pretty nippy out there.  You'd think they would have kept that blanket.  #episoderuined 

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

Am I the only person who didn't even notice or care about chains until reading this thread?

Probably not

10 minutes ago, Moz said:

I'll be honest, I thought the Cersei flashback scene in season five mentioned something about a valonqar. My mistake, I must be thinking of a different TV show. Apologies.

Nope that bit wasn't in the show but if a parallel book existed it would probably be in there.

2 hours ago, BlinkyBear said:

I cannot fathom people who are essentially complaining that the episode was ruined because we didn't get a long explanation about some fucking chains. 

Absolutely mental. 

How do they build the big castles? I haven't seen a quarry where stone is being mined so how do they make the castles? 

I could go on, but fuck that noise. 

Everyone in Dany's entourage is besotted with her, including loads of useful civilians I would imagine. Either that or she teleports to Marks and Sparks every now and again.

The wine mostly comes from Dorne, they've mentioned it a lot of times. If not, characters usually grimace when they swallow and say "fucking hell mate you ought to get wine from Dorne instead".

Bran the builder built Winterfell, I think they talk about it in episode 1.

The real question is...

Spoiler

Why didn't they both get on Benjen's horse and ride off?

Why did John hang about long enough to let the dragon get killed in order to kill a couple of easily reanimated wights?

Why didn't Dany just fly them all beyond in the wall overnight on a dragon to find a wight in the first place?

etc

Spoiler

Did The Hound stick the walker in a boat or did I misunderstand what was going on in that scene?