Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

3 hours ago, Danster said:

If Arya had only been stabbed once or twice, I could perhaps accept that she was lucky and the wound(s) didn't damage her intestines etc.

But she was stabbed multiple times, by a professional assassin.

All those violent stabs by the Waif, and not one managed to hit a vital organ?

Plus, don't forget the other bullet points from that link...

1.    Your stab wound is immediately treated. This is important to keep your systolic level and body temperature. Stabilized systolic level and body temperature will prepare your body at the best condition what if a surgery is needed to treat the wound.

2.    The stab doesn’t affect major blood vessels. As stated, a stab wound will only affect the path it gives a trauma to. When the knife or another stabbing device stab your major vessels, you will experience profuse bleeding and eventually run out of blood stream.
    3.    The stab wound doesn’t get infected. There are some kinds of things that can cause infection to a wound. In case of a stab wound, improper treatment can worsen the wound and produce the pus. Besides, the possibility of getting stabbed with dirty or rusty knife will heighten the risk of getting infection. Thus, you have to make sure your stab wound is properly cared so that it won’t get worse.

So, as well as missing her vital organs, Arya's multiple stab wounds that were created by a professional assassin also missed her major blood vessels, and also managed to not get infected despite her jumping in the manky water and despite the generally shitty medieval conditions, and were belatedly treatable by some cloth bandages, soup, and a bit of opium?

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

Next can we have the science behind Dany's asbestos skin and how the mountain survived his severe poisoning

Both of those easily fit the universe of the show, whereas Arya's survival just makes no sense.

Dany's of Valyrian ethnic origin - the same place the dragons came from - and implied to be some sort of "chosen one". Given that and the magical and

mystical stuff in the series, I think it's believable that she's fireproof in some way.

The Mountain was resurrected by some form of medicine/alchemy performed by a disgraced maester who has a reputation for human experimentation.

Arya wasn't ever implied to have a Healing Factor, or any other ability, nor was she healed by magic or freakish science... she was apparently just wearing some handy plot armour that enabled her to survive being stabbed in the gut multiple times by someone trained to kill.

The faceless men turned out to be pretty fucking useless didn't they? I mean, when we first saw them all you had to do was name someone and that person would be dead with seemingly no limits imposed on the logistics of the assassination. Now it seems that they cant even kill an actres without causing a huge ruckus in the streets. And these guys are more expensive than hiring an army right?

As for the rest of the episode i had no clue who 90% of the people  were or why they were doing what they were doing.

I guess there will be a big fight soon and some people will die. And then there will be another series. 

1 hour ago, Tezcatlipoca said:

Both of those easily fit the universe of the show, whereas Arya's survival just makes no sense.

Dany's of Valyrian ethnic origin - the same place the dragons came from - and implied to be some sort of "chosen one". Given that and the magical and

mystical stuff in the series, I think it's believable that she's fireproof in some way.

The Mountain was resurrected by some form of medicine/alchemy performed by a disgraced maester who has a reputation for human experimentation.

Arya wasn't ever implied to have a Healing Factor, or any other ability, nor was she healed by magic or freakish science... she was apparently just wearing some handy plot armour that enabled her to survive being stabbed in the gut multiple times by someone trained to kill.

I'm sure people survived knife crime in the past. It is really not *that* big of a plot hole.

They went for a knive wound that looked cool rather than realistic. 

10 hours ago, K said:

Are you sure about that? I'm no medieval weapons expert, but I reckon an arrow through the chest would make you bleed all over the shop. They're generally agreed to be pretty lethal, cf Agincourt, the Mongol hordes, Ralph Cifaretto's son in The Sopranos, King Harold, etc.

The archers at Agincourt were effective because they induced panic in the enemy (and goaded the French into a stupid charge) and then went around stabbing people; the Mongol hordes were effective because they were highly mobile and totally brutal so inspired fear and surrender; dunno about The Sopranos; it is now widely accepted that Harold was hacked down by sword. Also, there are different types of bow, and arrow, and armour, and all of those things will affect the lethality of arrows. Just FYI. 

We just have to. People on videogames forums can watch things for years on end and suddenly get hung up on some minor continuity error or suspension of disbelief. In fact, a lot of online commentary often degenerates into lists of such "problems", apparently unable to judge less mechanistic elements of the work.

I strongly suspect that people would be complaining less about Arya's ability to fight and run after being wounded if she were one of the Stark boys. Not Bran, obviously, Being stabbed would probably not improve his ability to run.

3 minutes ago, K said:

I strongly suspect that people would be complaining less about Arya's ability to fight and run after being wounded if she were one of the Stark boys. Not Bran, obviously, Being stabbed would probably not improve his ability to run.

Are you implying that there's an element of sexism involved? It's all about ethics in gastro-entestinal wound care now? 

It's not like she gave birth to an alien via c-section, stapled herself up and went out for a jog immediately after.

To be fair though, getting stabbed wouldn't hamper Bran's ability to run either. 

I got stabbed/Slashed in the back of the neck was i was 15 ish. 16 stitches and a scab you could have floated across the narrow sea on. 36 hours later I sat a chemistry higher and got a B. 

Granted, an exam isn't really equivalent to free running around a medieval market and I did attend a modern day hospital as opposed to jamming the wound with dirty cloth and sipping manky soup . I suppose he wasn't a trained assassin.....

Still though 

19 hours ago, Danster said:

Yeah... I know, it was a bit shit.

It reminded me of that bit in Misery where Annie goes on about King of The Rocketmen and how the cliffhanger would suddenly change at the start of the next episode to give the hero an escape route that simply shouldn't have existed.