rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Fair point, I hadn't considered that Jon might come back an unstoppable, unburnable ice warrior of doom leading the zombies. Knowing these bastards, it's probably got a decent chance of happening because we can't ever have nice things in this show.

3 hours ago, Baring said:

Great episode. I have no clue whats going to happen with John.

"...one of the best 5 things in life" :lol:

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition homage. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Broker said:

My 720p torrent looked lovely, and didn't add a single penny to the bank account of Murdoch, the world's biggest cunt. I'm pretty sure I'm the one doing the right thing here.

I realise this might have been partially in jest, but I'm very sure you're not doing the right thing. Do you want to live in a world where it's fine for everyone to break the law because they've judged it to be the morally right thing to do? I mean, I torrent occasionally, and don't mean to pass judgement on anyone for doing so, but surely pretending you're taking the moral highground at the same time is blatantly kidding yourself.

• Upvote 4

20 minutes ago, DocG said:

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition homage. 

I thought it was more like the Aqueduct bit in Life of Brian tbh. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, John0 said:

I realise this might have been partially in jest, but I'm very sure you're not doing the right thing. Do you want to live in a world where it's fine for everyone to break the law because they've judged it to be the morally right thing to do? I mean, I torrent occasionally, and don't mean to pass judgement on anyone for doing so, but surely pretending you're taking the moral highground at the same time is blatantly kidding yourself.

Christ. Get of your high Valyrian horse.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Barny said:

Christ. Get of your high Valyrian horse.

I mean, I did actually say that I also torrented and wasn't judging. But it seems obvious to me that stealing because you don't like Rupert Murdoch isn't morally the right thing to do.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, _Pow_ said:

Maybe she's trading her life force to revive Jon, like Jesus did with that guy in season 3 of The Bible

The necklace 'powered down' when she took it off. I think she may be charging it up with her own life, recharging herself at night, then is going to use it to revive Snurrr.

6 hours ago, Danster said:

Glad I'm not the only one :)

https://www.reddit.com/r/ollyrules

1 hour ago, John0 said:

I would never give money to that reptillian baby eating peado either. I feel bad enough giving Branson my money.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Broker said:

It's obviously down to individuals to make these judgements and decisions for themselves, but I don't feel that I'm "kidding myself" in my moral stance on this issue, I've thought it through. Essentially, I don't believe that our laws are infallible and that anyone breaking any of them is immoral, and I feel that the consumer culture we live in values the financial interests of corporations far more than the happiness of the individuals who make up society. I don't feel that stealing from a giant, amorphous corporate entity is ever really "immoral", because the organisation in question is too large for your individual actions to have a direct impact on any other individual person within the organisation and I feel moral concerns are primarily an interpersonal thing, because I think people's lives and experiences are important. It's very hard for me to consider human ethical implications when the entity I'm dealing with is designed to avoid having any humans directly accountable to people.

Probably isn't the place to go into this for ages, but I did start it, and I'd like to at least respond to this bit. Regarding the bit in bold, that's not what morality is though, is it? Morality is about principals and the philosophical difference between right and wrong. You appear to be saying it can't ever be wrong because your tiny individual actions have very little actual consequence, which doesn't make any sense to me. Something can be fundamentally wrong, but still have a very small effect.

Of course I totally agree with you about Murdoch and his empire. But personally I think if you feel that strongly about it, the morally correct thing to do isn't to steal for your own personal enjoyment. It's to simply not watch it until it comes out on Blueray, or at all.

Would also like to make the quick point that you're not paying "tonnes" of money to get NowTV for a few months. Won't it be around £30-£40? Which, if you judge things on an individual basis, also won't make any noticeable difference to anyone anywhere in reality.

Laws and morality are of course a complex subject - do you steal an apple to feed a family in poverty? Etc. But that's not what we're talking about here. Were talking about a TV show that you can easily go without watching. Again, I'm not telling people what they should or should not be doing. As I said, I torrent stuff occasionally if it's hard to come by, by other affordable means. I put it down to being lazy, weak-willed and slightly morally loose. It just seems obvious to me that it's not ever "right". Especially where entertainment is concerned.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

• Upvote 7

Can you back to just shouting at anyone who mentions the books. This is actually worse.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, John0 said:

Probably isn't the place to go into this for ages, but I did start it, and I'd like to at least respond to this bit. Regarding the bit in bold, that's not what morality is though, is it? Morality is about principals and the philosophical difference between right and wrong. You appear to be saying it can't ever be wrong because your tiny individual actions have very little actual consequence, which doesn't make any sense to me. Something can be fundamentally wrong, but still have a very small effect.

f course I totally agree with you about Murdoch and his empire. But personally I think if you feel that strongly about it, the morally correct thing to do isn't to steal for your own personal enjoyment. It's to simply not watch it until it comes out on Blueray, or at all.

Would also like to make the quick point that you're not paying "tonnes" of money to get NowTV for a few months. Won't it be around £30-£40? Which, if you judge things on an individual basis, also won't make any noticeable difference to anyone anywhere in reality.

Laws and morality are of course a complex subject - do you steal an apple to feed a family in poverty? Etc. But that's not what we're talking about here. Were talking about a TV show that you can easily go without watching. Again, I'm not telling people what they should or should not be doing. As I said, I torrent stuff occasionally if it's hard to come by, by other affordable means. I put it down to being lazy, weak-willed and slightly morally loose. It just seems obvious to me that it's not ever "right". Especially where entertainment is concerned.

Sorry for derailing the thread.

I guess I feel that what I'm doing isn't stealing in the traditional sense. I'm not taking anything from a person, and with the size of the organisation in question I'm not having a direct financial effect. Morally, I don't feel guilty because nobody suffers because of my actions. 

But you're totally right that morally I could just not watch it and would be able to sit on a much higher horse. I was suggesting initially that of the two options being considered that I didn't necessarily think paying murdoch cash was necessarily the morally "right" one, and I stand by that. I'm not really considering it morally when I torrent it, and as a consumer the value proposition offered by even Now TV is shit. In the marketplace I live in, it's easy to avoid paying for this particular thing when I feel that the value offered by the official channel is sub par, so I choose to torrent and don't feel that it's unfair or immoral for the reasons already outlined.

If they eliminated piracy like the games industry mostly has I'd have to reconsider I guess.

They spend 10 million dollars per episode and it's been the top most pirated TV show for years. They're doing well. No one has a guilty conscience. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Captain LeChuck said:

Hang on, save me from reading back through walls of text, what the big fucking issue this time?  I just watched the first episode and came to read reactions...

Someone said Murdoch's a cunt and pirating the show is the way to stick it to him. Someone else said that wasn't right...general agreement about the whole cunt thing and then we all pretended we hadn't seen a witch's tits.......I think.

• Upvote 1

As far as I can tell, the only regulars not in that episode were Sam (currently cruising to the Citadel), and Littlefinger (hopefully currently raising his army to head north after getting permission from Cersei last season).

What about Bran, what the fuck is he up to?  And that blacksmith's son/heir to the throne who rowed off in a little boat a few seasons back?  

I think Cersei is going to lose her shit this season and Frankenmountain will be fucking some people up.  Why hasn't the king got his wife out of the church's dungeons yet either?  So many questions, so many things I've missed/forgotten from last season.

Bran (currently waiting beneath a tree) is only a semi regular now after missing a season, up there with Tormund (chilling this side of the wall), Mace Tyrell (larking about in Braavos) and Tommen (moping).