Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

It was ok, mostly a recap of where everyone is, what they are up to with hints of why is to come. 

I I thought the spoiler rule in here was use spoilers until after the 9pm UK airing.  So use spoiler tags for the next 12.5 hours. 

Couple of things that caught my interest from episode 1:

Spoiler

Melisandre transformation obviously, but also the Arya development, that one was completely unexpected for me. Everything else was a bit obvious but it was nice to have a light start to get my mind back to where we were. I might watch a few of the last series to get my brain properly back up to speed. I like the potential for the Tyrion and Varys plot, hopefully that will actually develop and not just simmer under all series.

I guess in a world where Leicester City are about to win the Premier League playing 4-4-2 then; 

Spoiler

Ser Friendzone just happening upon Dany's ring in the middle of a meadow lord knows how many miles from where she went missing isn't the most unlikely thing I'll see this year, but it's a clumsy shortcut isn't it? 

There's loads of little things that I liked about it but in particular regarding Davos and Melisandre

Him asking for mutton make sure of what Alister had planned and whether they would get guest rites or not, and also making sure that they got Jon's body into the room with them and that Ghost was with them. I can see Alister doing the same thing that was done to Rob to Jon.

Looks like Melisandre is having a bit of a faith crisis which isn't surprising considering she has been wrong about pretty much everything so far. Also as far as the big bit with her, and no this isn't a book spoiler because it happened on the show in season 2, back when Cressen tried to poison her arse, she just drank it and the stone in her necklace flashed at the time whilst Cressen on the other hand, dropped dead

2 hours ago, Nayson said:

I guess in a world where Leicester City are about to win the Premier League playing 4-4-2 then; 

Hide contents

Ser Friendzone just happening upon Dany's ring in the middle of a meadow lord knows how many miles from where she went missing isn't the most unlikely thing I'll see this year, but it's a clumsy shortcut isn't it? 

Spoiler

I thought the same but at least they made a point of showing the big circular track where the horses had circled her. How by "going north" they ended up exactly where she went I cannot explain. 

I hope Danny isn't about to spend another season as a captive of the horse people, been there & done that already. 

1 hour ago, Jonny5 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Agreed,

Spoiler

I was watching him glancing at the ground and thought him finding it would be quite lazy, but that it was in the middle of a fairly tight circle of unspoiled ground, surrounded by an enormous thing from horses circling, I think it was ok. I can only assume they were on some fairly well traveled path across that land to happen across it, though.

As for the story line, I hope this is fairly brief and results in the newly found clan getting behind her. It feels like her storyline has properly fizzled out of late, and another season of captivity is going to properly knock it into neutral. 

Not the most outstanding episodes but stuff finally got done. Thumbs up.

I thought half the stuff that happened to these characters in this first episode would drag over a few episodes which I felt the previous season did a lot.

A quick catch up with some notable events

Spoiler

Brienne and Podrick coming to the rescue is the most positive thing that has happened in AAAAAGGGEEESSS

5 hours ago, Nayson said:

Hide contents

The surrounding area was trodden from horses, the middle wasn't.

I'm glad I watched season 5 again on blu-ray only last week to help me get back up to speed before starting on season 6.

Spoiler

For example, I could not for the life of me remember why or how Arya had been blinded prior to rewatching, so I probably would have been massively confused by the opening of the new season.

Also, to those who've said it was slow, I thought it moved at a fair old pace to be honest.

I thought quite a lot happened for an opener. Also, totally forgotten what happened to Ayra in the last series. I remember her doing a lot of sweeping, the faceless hall, but can't remember much else. Should have probably had a recap.

15 hours ago, TehStu said:

Just finished, too. Predictably slow, but episode 2 had a big event last time so expect it'll pick up.

Can't remember our rule on spoilers either.

Later, though if you've got Sky, and you're not watching on Now TV to avoid the adverts...

In comparison to the (things that can surely be named now we're well past them) it was very quick.

liked the Brienne bit, though mostly because I couldn't face a retread of Winterfell again; liked the witch bit; liked the fact they've brought the dog in: it'd be a shame if all those dire wolves were a pointless red herring, and most of them are dead or missing now (perhaps shaggydog ? (Rickon's?) is still out there?

Also, I'd forgotten about Mrycella and the fact that Natalie is stuck in prison following the swop.

This has become so depressing now that it's actually hilarious. Kids being beaten, characters constantly killed off, people enduring the most horrible stuff, etc.

I actually laughed out loud when Arya

Spoiler

was being beaten up by that other girl. Or when that young prince was speared through his poor fucking face. 

What a show. :lol:

• Upvote 2
15 hours ago, makkuwata said:

Just started watching. Kit's name in the opening credits. :lol:

To be fair, Charles Dance was credited in the opening to season 5.

Not that anyone would be in the least surprised if Jon Snow starts windmilling halfway through episode 2.

Re: the prince

Spoiler

I actually had no reaction to that frightful spear through the face, I guess for many reasons. One, turning his back to someone going to kill him, I expected it to come through his chest. And I guess two, I'm so numb to the horrific violence that they have to dial it up a bit to get me to grimace now. Not even the "please no" from the guard stuck under the horse as what's her name slits his throat.

I think that says more about this show than anything, though.

8 hours ago, Mr Ben said:

Hide contents

Melisandre's bedroom is dark....and full of terrors

Not a bad episode, with some "Hurrah!" moments...well one anyway.

Wonder what the mention of mutton was all about though.

The mutton was to see if they were going to get guest right or not