rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Even though I held in my heart the belief that Jaime would rescue Tyrion, when he left him at those steps all I had in my mind was his renewed relationship with Cersei, probably the only thing powerful enough to drive him to betrayal. I was absolutely expecting Tyrion to go through that door to find Cersei there, or... well, anything horrible really.

For ages I've been spotting a subtitle on Something Awful that says "Tyrion crossbows his father Tywin dead on the toilet" or words to that effect, but it never occurred to me that it was something that would happen. When he opened that door to see Tywin sitting there I realised where that was going. Actually, when he found Shay I thought he was looking for Cersei.

I don't think the Hound is dead! What's a little compound fracture here and there. If you don't see them die, they ain't dead. I legit paused it during that fight and paced around a bit telling myself I couldn't handle it right now.

I'm also glad the season didn't end with a shot of White Walkers... walking somewhere.

• Upvote 2

It was good to see Yarp actually kick someone in the cunt.

Also, I totally predicted that death for this year, as well as what Stannis would do next.

Can all the book readers fuck off out of here please.

Thanks

Loved the final episode, lots moved on and next season setup superbly

Nothing has been said, and the only reason they've been mentioned is because people were asking about reading them, so people have given them good advice with a little reasoning behind it, without saying anything about the story or characters that may or may not exist or may or may not have been changed for the TV show. It would be pretty daft for them to go into the book readers thread to ask that, considering that's got open discussion about spoilers yet to come. I know some people like to pretend the books don't exist, but hey guess what, they do!

• Upvote 9

I know some people like to pretend the books don't exist, but hey guess what, they do!

You may think that, but if you'd actually read the thread title you'd know otherwise.

• Upvote 6

That was outstanding. Definitely the best season finale, for me, and one of the strongest episodes overall.

Only sour note for me was the continuing adventures of Danerys, Naivest Queen Who E'er Naivèd.

But it had so many standout scenes! Mance was awesome. Snow and Stannis were awesome. Snow and Ser Gingerbeard were awesome. Tyrion and Jaime, and then Tyrion and Tywin. Everything with Arya, and that fight.

Barely a wasted second, barely a second where you could catch your breath and wait for your heart to stop pounding. Just outstanding stuff.

Can someone recap exactly what Faceshifting Assassin Guy told Arya when he gave her that coin for me?

• Upvote 1

He said if she ever meets a bloke from Braavos she should show him the coin and say the words...

"I don't need a cabin"

• Upvote 1

Three-Eyed Raven: He died so you can find what you have lost.

Bran: Are you going to help me walk again?

Three-Eyed Raven: You will never walk again.

So harsh!

• Upvote 8

He said if she ever meets a bloke from Braavos she should show him the coin and say the words.

Ahhh, yes.

For those wanting a refresher -- this is the final scene between Arya and Jaqen from S2.

http://youtu.be/gen62LFPyn8

• Upvote 6

Skimmed through the fun scenes again, with a considerably lower heart rate.

If one of them had to go it had to be Tywin, but I'm really bummed out that there's no more Charles Dance. :(

I wonder if Cersei hates Tyrion more or less now. He killed their mum who she loved, but killed their dad who at the very least she was on bad terms with.

That was the first end of season that didn't leave me going 'aaargh, 10 months to find out what happens!' Most of the plot lines came to a reasonable conclusion and opened the way for new ones to begin.

Looking forward to seeing where we go with the new developments, but a lot of it seems to be starting from scratch now. Arya in Braavos, Children of the Corn, Tree Beard, Around the World with Tyrion and no-willy fogg, etc.

• Upvote 2

I thought Shae was a stronger and smarter character than portrayed, I know she let him have it in court but I always thought that was because she was given no choice or had some plan... At the end of the day it really did seem like she was "just a whore". :(

Also, Tywin showing his first bit of humanity and gets murdered for it, didn't imagine it - although it kind of makes sense that he has the same taste as his son, but yeah, strange.

As for the Hound, I can't imagine Arya letting him die, hoping that on the way to the port she gave some doctor that cash and directed him the Hounds way - as unbelievable as that may be.

I think Shae got a bad rap. She loved Tyrion and he dumped her. Ok, it was to save her life, but as far as she knew it was so he could be with Sansa. All after she'd refused Vary's bribe to bugger off.

Then she's captured by the most dangerous man in Westeros and rather than being murdered decides to live, which means cosying up to Tywin and doing as she's told.

Can't blame the girl. Ideally her and Tyrion would have had a blazing row and figured it all out, but unfortunately for her this is Game of Thrones not Eastenders.

I definitely enjoyed the last two episodes. Particularly as the battle for Castle Black gave us a bit more time with Jon Snow. He's not actually a bad or boring character, it's just when he's got nothing to do his moping grates. He worked when he had Ygritte to play off, and he works when he's demonstrating that he's capable and decisive. But he needs agency or it is just watching a man look miserable for 10 minutes an episode. It also definitely helps when he has a good long scene or a full episode so we can soak up the atmosphere and get a feel for just why he looks so fucking miserable (I feel this way about pretty much every plot strand. Less plots more screentime!). Putting his scene at the start of this episode with the previous fresh in our minds was a very sensible move.

Also it has been dropping the hints for a while but it is becoming clear that Stannis is the mannis. He's the King by law and is apparently the only one interested in doing what the job is actually there for. He's got my vote.

Tying those plot strands together is going to benefit the show tremendously next season as well as they have both suffered with everyone sitting around talking about things they can't do.

Tywin is dead, which is a shame because Charles Dance is great. But as I posted a few weeks ago, he had to go. The encouraging thing is that GRRM does apparently have some understanding of plot structure and does realise when he's written himself into a corner (oh hang on is that what Dany is in?). Ideally he won't do it again but at least he'll hopefully resolve it quicker or the showrunners take the initiative and do it for him.

A lot is wide open. If this season's motto was 'All Men Must Die' then next season's will be 'Rebirth'. The show is going to be transformed and with that comes an awful lot of risk.

The most compelling aspect of the show in S1-2 was the political intrigue in King's Landing. Tywin was blocking that which is why he had to go... but now Tyrion has been shipped off in a box, Varys has gone with him, Little Finger and his incredible accent is on a tour of some rocks with Batgirl and Robyn and Diana Rigg has gone home for a lie down. Which leaves... Cersei and Natalie Dormer's tits as the sole political actors left in King's Landing. This worries me somewhat as it implies we are either going to lose what was the show's original draw or have a slew of new characters crop up while yet another plot strand is formed around Tyrion and Varys going wild in the free cities.

I couldn't help but sneer at the scene with the Mountain. "Will it weaken him?" No? Oh, well then I wouldn't worry it won't change him at all, he never had anything else.

I'm less fond of the magical side of the story. I get it, it's there to show the transiency and insignificance of the more human and compelling political squabbles that preoccupy the majority of the cast. It's just... a bit of a turn off because those storylines are more compelling and human. Still special fx and oohh stuff happening! Lots of mystery but the thing with mystery is that no matter how good it feels while it's being uncovered if what was underneath it all isn't satisfying in the end then you feel cheated. (See Lost.)

The Hound dying(? I do have hopes that when Arya returns Syrio and the Hound will join forces with her to fight crime) was also a shame even if he had a great fight and death(ish) scene. It paves way for Arya to do what we've been waiting for 2 seasons for her to do though. Sensible writing to end on this as it emphasizes the draw for next season is seeing something new. Can't get a less subtle visual metaphor than a ship sailing off into the sunset.

Really the only continuity going into next season is Dany and Theon's storylines. Which aren't terribly compelling. They're the weakest in the show and yet we're guaranteed to have them! Yay!

• Upvote 4

Game of Thrones Emmy submissions.

http://winteriscoming.net/2014/06/09/game-thrones-emmy-submissions-season-4/

I hope Emilia Clarke doesn't get nominated. She is probably the least deserving out of that category.

Surprised Alfie Allen wasn't submitted, I thought his performances were great in the few he was in. Peter Dinklage will most likely be nominated and rightly so, as he had some memorable scenes throughout this season.

Can someone please explain this

Jamie tells Tyrion to go up the stairs and knock twice, varys will answer.

He then appears through a trap door in his fathers bedroom.

Did he de-tour on purpose to go kill his father? Or did Varys tell him what was going on?

Yeah he took a detour to kill Tywin then went back to that door after.

After Varys puts him in the box, he is about to head back to the Red Keep until he hears the bells ringing. The look on his face suggests that he never planned for that.

and

he was sat in the hold next to the box rather than in a nice cabin. It wasn't a planned trip.

Nothing has been said, and the only reason they've been mentioned is because people were asking about reading them, so people have given them good advice with a little reasoning behind it, without saying anything about the story or characters that may or may not exist or may or may not have been changed for the TV show. It would be pretty daft for them to go into the book readers thread to ask that, considering that's got open discussion about spoilers yet to come. I know some people like to pretend the books don't exist, but hey guess what, they do!

nothing specific spoilery I agreed but somebody was trying to infer what happens to characters as somebody else used the past tense in referring to a character

I'm not normally super prissy about thread titles and content matching up but this one it seems important as this is pretty much the only place on the net I can safely read/discuss GoT without risk of ruining future seasons - as soon as folk start discussing the books that goes and it would be a shame.

I personally feel the title is a great guide for posting here, no book chat. none. the books don't exist

• Upvote 5

Was that Joffrey's crossbow from Season 2 that Tyrion used to kill Tywin?

I thought so. Although why would it be in the chambers of the Hand?

on second thought, let's not stay in Westeros.

'Tis a silly place

If you're referring to

the Children and the magic fireball being a bit like Tim the Enchanter

then I thought the same thing.

I'm guessing Tywin kept it following Joffrey's death.

Yes, Joffers talked at length about how incredibly expensive and great his custom crossbow was, so it's clearly the sort of premium weapon that a mercenary type like Tywin would keep rather than bin or ship off to the armoury, nothing sentimental about it. Plus I think the "easy loading system" apparently invented for it (with the handle to pull back the string, requiring less strength) possibly made it essential it was that crossbow, as a normal model might have been beyond Tyrion's ability to load. Although he seems strong enough on the whole.