rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

yeah it's a bit weird, because at one point lots of people are running at the wall, including giant Hawkeye, then we never see them again...

Clearly the Wall has some kind of magical defence.

Because if they did, there'd still be nine out of every ten of the crows on the wall left. It wouldn't help that much at all.

• Upvote 2

yeah it's a bit weird, because at one point lots of people are running at the wall, including giant Hawkeye, then we never see them again...

Clearly the Wall has some kind of magical defence.

Well, in truth, running at the Wall does fuck all towards defeating the Night's Watch; all it does is put the Wildling's into the Watch's arrow range.

That first (Northern) attack was little more than a test of the defences, as Jon said. Sure, they had the giants and the mammoth to take the gate and if it worked first time then brilliant but if it didn't then it's also no big loss. There are plenty more Wildlings and a few more giants in reserve.

Same for the guys climbing the Wall; nothing more than a distraction for the guys up top while Tormmund and Co. try and take the Castle from the South.

The trouble the Watch has now is that they've lost AT LEAST 50% of their manpower, their inner gate in the tunnel is breached, the Castle is fucked up and exposed and Mance can send wave after wave of Wildlings at them until they run out of arrows. Once that's done it's hand to hand in the tunnel and again, sheer numbers will win out.

I've seen people moaning that Jon's plan is surely doomed but, fuck, it's the only chance they've got.

• Upvote 1

I actually thought the tethered crows were going to go sprinting down the wall like Rainbow Six fellas to go hand to hand with the climbers, that would've been the shit.

I didn't suggest it was a wise thing to run towards the Wall en masse, just that it happened and it was a case of now you see 'em, now you don't.

By way of example, we saw three giants in total: the two handling the mammoth and the one handling the bow. We don't see what happens to the one handling the bow.

The battle scenes are let down (understandably so, given budgets IIUC) by the lack of mass battles - you might see a great many people standing or running, but only relatively few actors are involved in relatively small set-pieces and background work. It's a rung below (or above, depending how you look at it) Tyrion getting knocked out before his first major battle and coming to after it ended, or whatshisface striding in from stage right with everyone cheering and blood on his armour shortly after a fade to black from his clean armour and his mates looking depressed.

I thought the Giant archer was one of the ones who went to the gate with the mammoth; the one who subsequently gets shot with the ballista which causes his wife to go into RAGE MODE.

racist

[edit] you might be right about the giant - but a lot of people disappear.

This goes all the way back to season 1, but what ever happened to Benjen Stark? Last I remember was he went on a scouting mission and never came back. Has there been any mention in seasons 2-4?

yes, an expedition found his pals, brought the bodies back to Castle Black, and the bodies turned into zombies.

then there was the larger expedition led by the Lord Commander, via Craster's Keep etc, to find out what happened to him and what the zombies were about.

so they don't know what happened to Benjen, but they know his mates are dead.

• Upvote 1

Bit of a waste of an episode for me. Not nearly enough progression and felt a bit like a set piece for the sake of it, with so so much stuff still left *too* open for the finale I feel at least some of that time should've been spent on last nights episode.

Stannis seriously needs to make an appearance next week because his story is just ridiculously slow now.

I'm not sure what they can do with Stannis next week. He's still sat around waiting for his loan to come through. Which isn't very exciting.

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure what they can do with Stannis next week. He's still sat around waiting for his loan to come through. Which isn't very exciting.

The Iron bank (aka Space Wonga) will wait until they've got his broker's fee before revealing that he needs a guarantor. Tense stuff - and very topical...

I was thinking this. What goes through his mind when he is writing these characters? "Oh, this guy is pretty awesome, so... I better squish his face in!"

I picture GRRM as one of those guys who roots for the villains.

Could it be that he's putting across how things are in reality? People die whether theyre good or bad but the world around them continues on. Unless youre John (Barrowman)Snow. The story seems to be about the world itself rather than a hero like in every other thing ever. It does make it a lot more believable and less predictable.

Alliser Thorne, big cunt that he is, gained a bit of respect last night. He admitted he was wrong about the tunnel, and had the balls to get stuck in at the foot of the wall. That Janos Slynt is a great big chicken amplified this manyfold, of course, but it's nonetheless interesting to see. Like many characters in the show, he's not a simple black and white antagonist to a main character, and this was his display of that.

I wonder how he'll take the news that Jon's headed north.

• Upvote 2

Could it be that he's putting across how things are in reality? People die whether theyre good or bad but the world around them continues on. Unless youre John (Barrowman)Snow. The story seems to be about the world itself rather than a hero like in every other thing ever. It does make it a lot more believable and less predictable.

That post was a joke. You know there is this joke among fans of the show (and book readers?) that George R. R. Martin kills off the best or everyone's favourite characters. My post wasn't suppose to be taken seriously.

Part of what you said is why I love the show. I think I posted before that this show is breaking all sorts of rules within television yet it is probably one of the most popular scripted shows today because of it's different.

Imagine he literally rolled a dice to determine the ultimate fate of characters.

What's the rule about zombification anyway? Do people only turn into zombs if they die within a certain range of the wall or something? It only seems to be a problem for people in that vicinity.

What's the rule about zombification anyway? Do people only turn into zombs if they die within a certain range of the wall or something? It only seems to be a problem for people in that vicinity.

I think the answer to that is "nobody knows". Maybe fat Sam (and old blind Aegon) can dig some info up in the library, but at this stage is "burn the bodies to be safe".

Alliser Thorne, big cunt that he is, gained a bit of respect last night. He admitted he was wrong about the tunnel, and had the balls to get stuck in at the foot of the wall. That Janos Slynt is a great big chicken amplified this manyfold, of course, but it's nonetheless interesting to see. Like many characters in the show, he's not a simple black and white antagonist to a main character, and this was his display of that.

I wonder how he'll take the news that Jon's headed north.

Have to agree with this. He was a true boss last night. Loved his little chat with Jon.

Next episode is 66 minutes long, slightly making up for this week's 50 minute entertaining yet frivolous and distracting Royal Rumble.

Benioff and Weiss added that they are so “immensely proud” of the finale that there are concerns no future episode will better it.

“We’re a little intimidated by the episode because now we have to get back to the business of season five and figure out a way to top it,” they continued.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/game-of-thrones-season-4-finale-will-be-finest-hour-you-have-ever-seen-9520532.html

Hype Train! :omg:

I really hope Thorne somehow survived now. I accept I have done a shameless u-turn here but damn, he bossed it till he went up against SuperViking.

Slynt should get moved to full time kitchen duty, maybe those badass chefs can make a man out of him.

Those chefs were fucking boss. "You call that a knife?"

Can you believe that despite constant cajoling, some people I know have no interest in watching this.

I'm guessing you have to be touched by a White Walker like we saw with the baby mid season.

The baby actually turned into a white walker though. I reckon to turn corpses into zombies they only have to be nearby, like how water turns into ice when they're around (why don't they just freeze the sea at the coast and walk around the Wall?)

To be honest I thought a lot of the fighting suffered from Batman Begins syndrome where I couldn't tell who was who.

My missus got pulled in by the episode and did say at one point "why don't they wear different coloured bibs so they can tell who is on what side"... Bless!

I have wondered what the friendly fire death rate would be in those sorts of battles, as there's rarely a distinctive uniform on either side and things usually breakdown into a chaotic melee within seconds where everyone's just wildly swinging weapons at everyone who comes near. It often looks like an individual would be very lucky to kill more of the opposition than he does his own side.