Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

Re Jaime and Bran

Spoiler

Does anyone apart from Jaime, Bran and Cersei know that it was Jaime who pushed Bran from the tower? Presumably Bran remembers, now that he's omniscient and everything. I imagine the next episode will begin with the Starks and Dany having a stand off with Jaime. What's he got to stop them from killing him, apart from information about Euron's betrayal of Cersei being a bluff?

Also, did Brienne appear in this episode? I don't remember seeing her since the big meeting at the end of S7. If she and Tormund don't get it on in the remaining episodes then I'm going to be very disappointed.

And Bronn definitely won't kill either of the Lannister brothers. Definitely :ph34r:

4 hours ago, scottcr said:

Hide contents

so - will Sansa turn against Jon once she learns he’s not a Stark?

Could go either way I suppose. He's still their cousin after all - as his mum's Ned's sister - and it does also make Dany a relative, as she's Jon's aunt. Kinda depends how she chooses to take it I suppose. Actually I think it makes her second in line for the throne as there are no closer relatives about, so she'll probably bump both of them off :P 

That ending.

Spoiler

Sam: "What are you doing out here?"

Bran: "Waiting for an old friend ..."

Jaime: "Oh shit!"

:lol:

• Upvote 2

I’m not very good at celeb anecdotes but watching tonight’s episode and the guy who plays Rodrick Cassel reminded me very shortly after arriving in London as a young chap I used to catch the train home to Bromley after a shift at The Mirror invariably ended in the pub. Rather worse for wear one night I passed the aforementioned thesp and in something mocking a Billy Connolly sketch in my drunk Glaswegian came out with something poetic like “love the show (‘by the way’, probably). I soberer up rapidly when he looked delighted and proceeded to kind of follow me down the train. Of course what I meant was The Bill, which I’d watched for years, but had this horrible notion he was probably in lots of theatre and would be disappointed if I clarified i just have a stupid memory for faces. Anyway, it was incredibly awkward but I did manage to avoid eye contact for the rest of the journey and he still looked pleased when I stumbled off the train

24 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:

That ending.

Hide contents

Sam: "What are you doing out here?"

Bran: "Waiting for an old friend ..."

Jaime: "Oh shit!"

:lol:

I totally guessed what he meant the instant he said that. Confused the missus no end :)

Some fun stuff there, including Lucas visiting the set and Rob McElhenney being the guy Theon shot through the eye.

Not a great start back. I understand the need for a quiet before the storm, but a few important moments were completely thrown away and wasted. Didn't stop me savouring every last precious second.

^Exactly! I wonder how many others saw it?

12 hours ago, The Eagle Lord said:
  Hide contents

Anyone care to have a guess as to what the whole many armed kid-corpse on the door was all about?

Varys used to be called Spider (for a 1000/1 shot), but my theory is that the Night King is actually...

THE BUTCHER'S BOY

5 hours ago, Thwomp said:

@Jamie John 

Hide contents

Didn't Tyrion make Cersei an unseen promise? Like he was going to double cross Daenerys.

It was hinted that...

Cersei was either pregnant or pretending to be, hence Tyrion's unease on the ship when pondering his betrayal in favour of his nephew/niece. So Tyrion might be fully aware of Cersei's plan to finish off the stragglers, and he's hoping for clemency if the Lannisters come out on top.

It makes sense to me in terms of Dinklage if not Tyrion, because they'll need a decent reason if they kill off such a popular character. To a lesser extent, the same with Varys.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Re Jaime and Bran

Hide contents

Does anyone apart from Jaime, Bran and Cersei know that it was Jaime who pushed Bran from the tower? Presumably Pepperidge Bran remembers

I laughed at how Bran just waits around in the courtyard now, evil-eyeing everyone like a magical Chris Tate.

Spoiler

Either my TV or the Sky box had a great deal of difficulty with Tormund and Beric in the dark, and given the torrents I used previously had no such issues I blame the box.

Like many I've spent some time in the gap since season seven rewatching the lot, so now it's kinda perverse that after two years of waiting for the next episode, I'm not at all used to waiting for the next episode.

1 minute ago, Delargey said:

I missed this? Or is it a real life thing?

Spoiler

He was the guy the whores with Bronn we’re talking about, who had his eyelids burnt off during the battle with Daenerys, Drogon and the Lannister army.

Spoiler
2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Also, did Brienne appear in this episode? I don't remember seeing her since the big meeting at the end of S7. If she and Tormund don't get it on in the remaining episodes then I'm going to be very disappointed.

Yeah Brienne was stood behind Sansa at one point.

30 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Either my TV or the Sky box had a great deal of difficulty with Tormund and Beric in the dark, and given the torrents I used previously had no such issues I blame the box.

Like many I've spent some time in the gap since season seven rewatching the lot, so now it's kinda perverse that after two years of waiting for the next episode, I'm not at all used to waiting for the next episode.

Do you remember the average bitrates from S7? As well as that really dark scene that needed Blu, I had some blurry moments. 1080p at about 7k bitrate, 3GB. S7 eps came in at around 5GB, so maybe 10k bitrates? Still not brilliant, but a marked improvement.

59 minutes ago, Delargey said:

I totally missed that...how do we know it was him?

Spoiler

They call him Eddie the Ginger without specifically saying it’s the same character, but :sherlock:

• Upvote 1

I've remembered something, @The Eagle Lord

That better-than-an-onion sigil reference. White Walkers have been arranging body parts since the first episode, so we're being directed more overtly towards wondering who they represent.

I don't spend much time thinking about theories any more, because there's so much convolution and misdirection. I just watch the episodes and hope I enjoy them. Until it's over there's hope of a return to its amazing early form, but I'll be surprised if it's still as highly-rated in ten years' time. I think it's been downhill since the end of the third season, and even though Cersei's revenge is one of its greatest sequences, I never want to see that Sparrow arc or the Terminator again. More happened in seasons 1-3 than 4-7, as illustrated well by Littlefinger.

By the by, did some of the acting feel a bit off to anyone else? Like Maisie Williams' pronunciation, where Arya's suddenly posher.

What a misery that lad is. Was it ever explained how Paedotree came to be — like, how did branches grow around him and not into him, and did he just fall asleep for a long time while that happened? Was he this guy:

Because as much as Bran bangs on about being the Raven, he's enjoyed the same getout that Jon has when he circumvented his Night's Watch oath. He's free to be the person he wants to be, but he's even worse than when he travelled with Osha and Hodor.

Maybe it's down to weak acting, because I get the feeling he's meant to be one of the most sympathetic characters? Maybe if he starts warging into chickens to terrorise Jaime I'll come to like him. Magical Chris Tate would have.

I have to say I found the juxtaposition between 

Spoiler

the whores, brutal gruesome killings, burning devil boy scenes and the wholesome kids-put-on-your-3D-glasses dragon riding scene pretty funny.

• Upvote 5

Bran is just the worst. Having an omniscient character who isn't particularly interested in the story is not a good idea. Sansa (the smartest person in the worlllld) and Arya giving it all shitty attitude is grating as fuck. The rest was good fun. 

• Upvote 1

Some thoughts (not Star Wars related) 

Why were Edd Squad and Team Tormund so surprised to see each other. Didn't they know the other gang were there? Why were they all there anyway? That burning, screaming kid was like something out of The Thing.

Why did Sam apparently land in the crypts instead of just walking in? Very glad they didn't sod around prevaricating and actually got the truth out there. Jon Snurr should have turned to the screen and in Alan Partridge/ Jeremy Clarkson style said "And on that bombshell it's time to end the show. See you next week - goodnight!"

Can't wait to see The Hound with his new Stormbreaker, planting it in Mountainstein's vast chest.

Questions aside it was an OK episode. A bit rushed but generally entertaining enough.

Are 

Spoiler

Arya and Gendry going to become more than friends, or would that make him a massive paedo? How old are these characters supposed to be? I've lost track. There definitely seemed to be something there in the scene they shared, especially when she looked back at him.

Gendry is cert to die anyway.

Just now, Jamie John said:

Are 

Hide contents

Arya and Gendry going to become more than friends, or would that make him a massive paedo? How old are these characters supposed to be? I've lost track. There definitely seemed to be something there in the scene they shared, especially when she looked back at him.

Gendry is cert to die anyway.

I had the same thought. Do Not Want

I'm enjoying Arya creeping about. I have the feeling she's going to be vital to the ending in some sneaky way.

Sam stole the show in this episode. But:

Spoiler

If we run on the theory there's nothing wasted, plot wise now, the fact that he was told that Daenerys killed his family before he told Jon that she's not actually queen isn't an accident

• Upvote 1