Daley

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. NONE. The Books don't exist.

"So you didn't know where to put it!"

Sam's great. I planned a one-per-week rewatch of the whole series way back when that made rough sense to finish by April or so. Alas, it's too damn addictive and we finished it ages ago.

1 hour ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Just watched S02E09, Blackwater, on my mega massive Blu-ray rewatch. Haven't seen any of these since their original airings and it's been an absolute blast seeing them all again with all the foreshadowing and hindsight of knowing what is to come. 

Not a single line of dialogue is wasted in these early episodes and I'm continually blown away by the groundwork set up so early that we see in later seasons. 

Just astonishing TV and you all have the time to catch up. Do it now and then when season 8 hits it will be all the more unforgettable.

And yeah, Sam is the best. His early sex chats with Jon are amazing and funny. Yes, GoT can be funny. 

Totally agree. Just watched S01E01 and there is already so much that I've forgotten 

I'm on S02E08 and it's just fantastic to rewatch it all again after a few years.

Tyrion is brilliant in season 2 - I forgot just how different his role was when he was basically ruling Kings Landing.

Funny you should mention that - it's the next episode for me tonight.  Absolutely loving this whole run through, so many amazing moments in this series.

Personally, in terms of sheer drama, I don't think S03:E09 has ever been beaten.

• Upvote 1

When it first aired, I was on holiday so didn't get to see it until almost 2 weeks later. Thankfully due to having shit internet in the hotel etc, I managed to avoid most spoilers. I knew something bad happened but I wasn't prepared for that. Knowing what was coming this time round almost had me shouting "it's a trap" at the TV lol

As I'd read the books, I knew what was coming, but my ex-wife didn't.

I think it was the only time in our marriage that I knew something horrific was about to happen but she was oblivious..... #clawsout #bitchmode 

• Upvote 4

On 04/02/2019 at 08:16, Silent Runner said:

A black screen with just the air date of the new series would have been better than that trash. Could have saved them a few quid too. 

Must admit I chuckled, mainly cos I fucking hate that dilly dilly shit that a dickhead on my karting group always posts and I didn't know where it comes from

they all die! it's great.

I'm on episode 8 but there are scenes in eps 6 and 7 that are just ball-achingly tense such as the Frey's coming to see Robb about getting Edmure to marry and they're all like 'be nice to do it quickly, It will put his heart at peace if he could see her wed to a good husband", sneaky fucks, knowing what is to come had me screaming "no Robb, no". Then there is the heartbreaking love scenes between Robb and Talisa "come with me to Volantis, after the war is over". Obviously the shocking violence is what is remembered but the lead up is just so damn bleak. Less said about poor old Theon in that episode. I might have a double bill tonight.

• Upvote 1

I'm nervous about the last season.  I can't help feeling that they will fail to give the series the ending it deserves and may actually ruin what has come before as a result. 

Waiting an extra year hasn't helped, and since I didn't enjoy the later seasons as much I'm not too excited about it. But I am really looking forward to Djawadi's new work, which has always been my personal highlight.

I love Light of the Seven and The Rains of Castamere, but The Red Woman's sublime to the point of making Mel my favourite character, and it's such a shame that they've binned most of her early promise in favour of a wandering bric-a-brac tit-witch.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Gord said:

I'm nervous about the last season.  I can't help feeling that they will fail to give the series the ending it deserves and may actually ruin what has come before as a result. 

I was thinking about this recently.

A definitive ending seems out of keeping with tone of everything before it.  But won't satisfy many.

Similarly, ending on a half ending (e.g. with a new threat emerging) seems to undermine the "breaking of the wheel" motif they've been going for.

Perhaps most tonally appropriated would be Cersei closing out all the accounts on top but ruling a kingdom of ice and ashes.

It's almost an impossible ask.

Looking forward to it.

15 hours ago, Delargey said:

The Sons of the Harpie is also very good.

I'm still a bit annoyed about the direction of its scene, though! Beric-Hound and Oberyn-Mountain were fantastic, so I hope they reach that standard again for the inevitable.

I wonder if six episodes are enough, even though they're feature-length. I'll spoiler these characters in case anyone hops onto this page first having not caught up...

Theon, Yara and Euron are an episode just by themselves, unless they're rushed, so I hope they don't reunite them to make it easier, scriptwise, to kill them wholesale. Oversimplification is my main fear for S8, because they've too many remaining characters to give solid endings to unless their writing's of an unprecedented quality.

It probably won't be my cup of tea however they roll it, because I'm unusual for actually liking Melisandre, Uncle Pirate, and some of the other less-populars, while disliking Dolores (I find that Clarke's age creates an amplifying disconnect during her written-as-teen tantrums). Jon's an invincible drip until the final episode, I imagine. Davos would be the best king, so he's doomed. Give Sam the Iron Throne!

But yeah, Djawadi's created one of the greatest soundtracks, and its cinematography is a class above.

We should have a poll for how we would like it to end!

* Rob Stark/Mother-of-Dragons incest-athon win

* Lannister win

* White Walker win

* All dead, Sam creates a new society from the ashes

* CLEGANEBOWL! Honk! honnnnk hooooooonk! 

• Downvote 2

What was great about it early on was how anyone could die, and anyone could win. By the end of S4, if someone had said, "The Dornish end up victors" you'd have been shocked but not surprised.

If S8 ends with anything other than Cersei and Daenarys killing each other, Sam coming back with a super-weapon/super-knowledge, the dragons all dying whilst taking down the ice dragon, Jon Snow as king with all the 'baddies' losing, I'll be supremely impressed and utterly shocked.

1 hour ago, Treble said:

We should have a poll for how we would like it to end!

* Rob Stark/Mother-of-Dragons incest-athon win

* Lannister win

* White Walker win

* All dead, Sam creates a new society from the ashes

* CLEGANEBOWL! Honk! honnnnk hooooooonk! 

I want Cersei to win and the last shot she sits on the throne surrounded by the severed heads of Dany and her dragons, Jon, the Night King, Sansa, Arya and Varys. 

As the camera zooms in, she  pulls off her face to reveal... Littlefinger. Yassss! Jaime has been banging Littlefinger the whole time. 4D chess.

• Upvote 2