IGNORED

Best new music this year 2012 edition

Stanley

The new Fiona Apple album is fantastic, an amazing songwriter:

potify

Dreamin' Wild by Donnie and Joe Emerson looks a horrible hipster nightmare but is one of the sweetest albums you'll hear. There's a great story to it too with their father building a concert venue on his land for them(!):

Pacific Northwest isolation mixed with wide-eyed ambition, a strong sense of family and the gift of music proved to be quite the combination for teenage brothers Donnie and Joe Emerson. Originally released in 1979, Dreamin’ Wild is the sonic vision of the talented Emerson boys, recorded in a family built home studio in rural Washington State. Situated in the unlikely blink-and-you-missed-it town of Fruitland and far removed from the late 1970s punk movement and the larger disco boom, Donnie and Joe tilled their own musical soil, channeling bedroom pop jams, raw funk, and yacht rock.

Spurred on their high school’s music program, Donnie and Joe received a further push from their lifelong farmer father, who drew up a contract stating that he’d support his sons lofty ambitions with their very own recording studio as long as they focused on original material, sage advice for a man with zero experience in the music business. After taking out a second mortgage to help cover costs, Don Sr. also built his children a 300-capacity concert hall (dubbed Camp Jammin’) replete with ticket booth, stage, and fully functioning snack bar. The only problem was that the projected audience never quite materialized, despite a prime time TV profile entitled “The Rock And Roll Farmers” from nearby Spokane, Washington. Even the Emerson brother’s school pals were nonplussed at their privately pressed long player; hand distributed to local music stores, but not as far as Seattle, five hours away from their rural home. Somewhat rejected by the muted response, but never surrendering, both Donnie and Joe continued down a musical path and are still active as performers today.

Spotify

I only discovered this guy the other day whilst going through the Piccadilly Records website but Teen Daze's album is wonderful, lots of bubbling synths and general chillness. Doesn't do anything new at all if you're familiar with "glo-fi" (ugh) or minimal techno but it works really well

Spotify

Edit: Urk, the forum seems to have deleted all the YT links :(

That sounds great (Frank Ocean). Anyone into Dirty Projectors? I've given the new album a listen and my first impressions are good, but with some reservations. Gets a little too whimsical in parts but then something awesome happens and I like it again. Need more listens.

So someone earlier mentioned that they were looking forward to the Alt-J album coming out (maybe TTK?). So was I and it doesn't disappoint; it's fucking tremendous. Must've listened to it 10 times this weekend and crucially for the Crispin test, was even the perfect soundtrack for some lady-humping on Saturday night.

There are quite a few interludes on the album and some of them do seem to be a bit off-kilter with the general style and at 14 tracks it seems at first glance that it could have done with maybe losing a couple, but the whole thing breezes past at 44 minutes or so and you hear something new every time you listen to a song.

3 of the most immediate from the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_VSixF6DaY

Also picked up the Polica album last week which I was just getting into before Alt-J took over. Beautiful song:

After listening to Dirty Projectors record more it's nestled itself snugly into my favourites. Just sounds different to anything else out there - reminds me a bit of Pavement at times, and like early Prefab Sprout even more (Swoon, Steve McQueen). Bloody brilliant.

Aesop rock = skelethon. Album of the year imo

Yeah, really good album. I found the latest El-P a bit disappointing after an initially promising first couple of spins. Also I listened to the Frank Ocean album this morning and I don't get the fuss, it didn't do anything for me whatsoever. I've signed up to rdio and I'm going to try and listen to every new album that comes out on the service, apart from the stuff I know I won't like. Looking forward to expanding my tastes a bit after being stuck in a rut and listening to the same four albums on repeat all of last year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Some of the 'new releases' I've been listening to on rdio, hope there's something you enjoy:

From 'Skelethon'

From 'Cancer 4 cure'

From 'Beaus$Eros'

From 'my head is an animal'

From 'Undersea EP'

Froom 'Yellow and Gold'

Also lots of other stuff which has already been mentioned so I won't repost!

• 2 weeks later...

I've taken it upon myself to go through all the new releases on rdio and post stuff I think people will like, hopefully something takes your fancy. All of these are new albums out this week I believe, I'm skipping reissues and singles:

Jessie Ware - Devotion

Yeasayer - Fragrant world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWBQcWSvzZI

Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - Mature themes

Stealing Sheep - Into the diamond sun (otherwise known as the album with the song from the 'Tearaway' Vita game trailer)

There's a new Darkness album as well, if you hate yourself.

Stealing Sheep - Into the diamond sun (otherwise known as the album with the song from the 'Tearaway' Vita game trailer)

I'm loving this album by the way, certainly the sublime Shut Eye from the wub wub tearaway trailer is what brought me to it, but it's solid tracks all the way through.

Last year's thread introduced me to Delicate Steve. He's got another album out this year which I like just as much. Generally he just seems to get a couple of hooks and maintains them as a theme throughout the album. I can't help but smile when I listen to it, so full of happiness.

Delicate Steve - Positive Force Rdio Spotify

It's new album time! Loads of new releases this week.

From 'Beams'

From 'Nocturne'

From 'Havoc and bright lights'

(I hate it, but someone might like it. This song sounds like a health food shop version of 'teenage dirtbag')

From 'Welcome to: Our House'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdyVdpqLkN8&feature=related

From 'Correatown'

From 'America'

From 'Rookery'

(This bloke used to be in the seahorses)

From 'The Seer'

From 'Infinity Overhead'

From 'Sommer'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvcO53FS5q8

Hopefully something for everyone in there.

I've been listening to a lot of stuff on Sacred Bones in the last couple of days and I really like the new Slug Guts. This is great:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp3bzoRuK1M

I posted this in the hip hop thread already but it belongs in here too:

And here's some John Talabot, who was recommended earlier in the thread: