rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
klargon

10 Years of Gamecube

I couldn't find a thread about this already (but maybe I just missed it). According to the Wikipedia release dates, last Thursday marked the 10 year anniversary of the European release of the 'Cube. Dunno if you can call it 'Retro' as such, especially with the Wii being just a glorified Cube and being potentially 'current gen', but I guess this is the most likely place to find people willing to talk about their memories.

The Cube is the only console I've ever bought on release, mainly thanks to the expendability of a Student Loan, and the completely reasonable launch price. I bought Cube magazine from the first issue (before release), and conviced customers at Curry's to hold off buying an XBOX or PS2, cos the Cube was going to be a much better proposition. I guess I might have something to answer for there...

I bought it with Burnout, Sonic Adventure 2, Super Monkey Ball, 2 extra contollers and a memory card - all preordered from Dixons with my staff discount. Highlights in the first few weeks were mainly the Monkey Ball multiplayer stuff. Probably the most significant highlight of the console was when Animal Crossing became an addiction for me and all my housemates. I would regularly fire up AC in the morning to find my mates houses basements crammed full of the most rare fish that they'd been catching into the small hours, stashed until that bastard Tom Nook would open to buy them.

I'm planning on revisiting a load of the exclusive games (those that are cheap to get hold of, at least). Might be interesting if a few others would take the opportunity to revisit some of their GC collection.

• Upvote 4

My friends actually banded together and bought me a Gamecube for my 30th which was pretty awesome at the time. It's been underused but everytime I dust it off it's always awesome. Is it my stupid eyes or do a lot of Wii games not look as good as 'Cube games?

I have great memories of that launch. The only time I've bought a launch console that seemed like a bargain. I got mine with Super Monkey Ball, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race Blue Storm and Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2. All of which I really loved. Even at the end of it's life span Wave Race, Super Monkey Ball and Luigi's held a special place in my collection to me.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I paid over the odds for an imported orange ("spice") gamecube which had a switch to play US games. Cocky student loan times I guess, I got Super Smash Bros Melee, but only one controller, like an idiot. I still obsessed over it though, and got ever single trophy and award, including the ridiculous "beat the game without taking a single point of damage" one. Plus I preferred the slightly different things about the US version, like the Super Scope infuriating people by sticking them to the spot. I used to take it into Uni all the time.

Super Monkey Ball and Luigi's Mansion were next. LM was good, but still disappointing when you want Mario 64 2. Really short as well. Gorgeous though, and I loved it while it lasted. Super Monkey Ball was the best thing ever though. Cemented the GC analogue stick as my favourite one ever, just as THPS3's reverts made me fall in love with the shoulder buttons (though they tend to work better with some games over others).

It was the first machine I ever imported anything for, and even completed the japanese version of The Wind Waker before it launched in the UK (though speaking absolutely no japanese I had to take photos with a digital camera and post them on here to help me get past a section that required you to type a password). I did the same with the RE Remake, but that was less text heavy.

Some great multiplayer times were had on the 'cube, but probably a lot less than with the N64, due to us all getting older, and no goldeneye.

I bought mine (A US import) not long after the US launch.I got Monkey ball, Rogue Leader and Luigi's Mansion. Amazing times. Got Resident Evil remake later, Animal Crossing and Windwaker later still. I have very happy memories of ordering US imports from DVD Box Office. It was the last console that I actually got excited about new releases with

I'm probably in the wrong thread for this, but I've never owned a Gamecube. :( It's not that I'm uninterested in the games - quite the contrary; there's loads of stuff I'd love to take a look at - but getting hold of a system and some games is one of those things that I seem to put off indefinitely. My main system last gen was a phat Xbox, and I later picked up a cheap PS2, but by the time I'd got bored of those the now-current gen was becoming more affordable so the 'Cube kind of got left behind. I have played a few of the games on demo pods and other people's systems, but I need to find a gap in my gaming schedule where I can investigate further.

EDIT: then again, wasn't there a thing ages ago about a shortage of video cables for the Cube or something? I might be too late if the necessary bits and pieces aren't available... :(

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I never got one of these but a friend of mine bought one around 2003 or so when he had just started uni where I was. I played a few hours of the Starfox platform game and really enjoyed it, just I never got the chance to go back to it after that. The original Resi remake looked amazing but I wanted to leave seeing too much of that so that I could experience it myself when the time would come.....It still hasn't though haha.

Monkeyball I played once with a bunch or friends also at uni and it was pretty impressive. Just recently a few months back I bought Monkeyball Deluxe for the PS2 and it has those same games on it. One thing though is that it does get very hard, the PS2 one at least.

My favourite games on the console though include Eternal Darkness and the Metroid Prime games. I will one day finally try out the Mario game and Windwaker as those are two I would like to check out along with the RE games.

It was good to be able to try out Majora's Mask during uni too on the GC.

I was disappointed with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles as it didn't feel like FF at all and had some strange ways of doing things.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It was probably my favourite console last generation. Like most people I bought it with Super Monkey Ball and was amazed by the level of control the analogue stick afforded. I still think that game is the most perfect title of the last gen, it was simple to play but hard to master and was a joy in single or multiplayer. Whilst it might have played host to the only Mario title I haven't really enjoyed it was balanced out by having Wind Waker which is the only Zelda game I've ever actually liked (yeah, yeah, I know. It's just one of those franchises that never clicked with me, much like Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy).

I lived and breathed Animal Crossing for several months. Few games have consumed my time quite like it despite it being the type of game I'd normally steer clear of. Luigi's Mansion was great fun as were the two Pikmin titles and Metroid Prime did a great job or reinterpreting a much loved franchise. Beach Spikers was an underrated gem of last generation, it might not have been particularly deep but it was an immensely fun party experience. The Gamecube also played host to some of the most enjoyable arcade games of the period: Ikaruga, Viewtiful Joe and the now largely forgotten, PN03. I liked the way it bridged the gap between the throwaway casual experience and titles aimed at the more dedicated audience.

There were a few high profile titles that disappointed me. As good as F-Zero GX was (and it looked amazing) it never clicked with me in the same way the N64 iteration did. Similarly, I really didn't like Mario Kart on it but then I have fallen slowly out of love with each new version so the problem is probably more with me than the game. Maybe its catalogue wasn't as rich as previous Nintendo consoles, or as packed as the PS2, but the quality shone through.

• Upvote 1

It held for me, the greatest game to ever grace any machine - Resident Evil 4. For that alone, it stands head and shoulder above more successful machines. I ended up getting a US machine, I was there visiting friends and wanted to drown my sorrows after a relationship hadn't worked out. I bought the console, Mario Sunshine, Super Monkey Ball and something else, which I can't recall (I want to say Starfox Adventures). I'm sure I got Animal Crossing as well - perhaps later though.

It was a vastly under rated machine, and I barely scratched the surface of what it could do gamewise. But Resident Evil 4 was just perfection. I also enjoyed Wind Waker a great deal but was never sold on Mario Kart Double Dash. I think everyone owes it to themselves to try and pick up a cheap one, there's hours of fun to be had.

Also had one of my favourite ever controllers in the Wavebird.

I ended up owning four gamecubes all in, and had the orange one signed by Shigeru Miyamoto at that signing session in London. I don't think I have any of them left now, but I still have a controller or two. I started Chibi Robo relatively recently, using the Wii, and it's lovely and chaming too. It has the time restriction thing working against it though, and I doubt I'll ever go back to it. It's so cute though!

I have a GC, and an apparently random collection of less than triple-A titles, and it's my least played "recent" console, because of controller, mostly. It never seemed right, especially playing True crime:LA... And I never got mario sunshine...

Always lusted after one of those Panasonic T1000 lookalike Gamecubes....bet the damn things will be worth a fortune in the years to come.

In honour of this thread I just plugged in my GC, fancying a quick few minutes of Resi or some Eternal Darkness. it seems to be dead though, the little bugger spins the disks but all for nowt.

Damn

Bought mine from the US when Animal Crossing was released, played that game to death before I ever bought anything else, though it continued it's daily visits to my screen long after I had other games to play. I remember hours and hours spent on Mario Sunshine, Smash Bros Melee and Soul Calibur 2. Then later in it's life Resi 4 and Twilight Princess. One of the best consoles I've ever owned, and the only piece of retro hardware I still have connected to my TV.

Got so many great gaming memories of the GC. Had a US one from launch and built up a nice little collection that I'm still dearly holding on too.

Wave Race, Luigis Mansion & Eternal Darkness are the ones that stick firmly in mind from the "early days", and then such classics as Mario Golf, Tales of Symphonia and obviously WindWaker!

Oh and 4 player Crystal Chronicles & Zelda Four Swords.. all with linked up GB SP's :wub:

In fact the only GC game that I was seriously unimpressed with was Twin Snakes (just didn't feel right on a GC pad).

If I has a suitable TV I'd be all for setting it back up for a trip down memory lane!

I imported a Japanese/US machine and loved monkey ball and luigi's. Mario Sunshine in Japanese was pure exotica. Never did finish that since I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing half the time :) without question the highlights of the platform were monkey target, Wind waker and pikmin

Having been out of console gaming for years, I bought a Gamecube on a complete whim after suffering depression and seeing Mario Sunshine being advertised in game. Genuinely helped cheer me up, even if the blue coins drove me nuts.

• Upvote 7

My flatmate picked this up at launch, with Luigi's Mansion one of his games. Having not yet seen the Xbox in motion, I was dumbstruck by the way the shadows danced off every surface. And by the way Luigi could be made to hump items of furniture, complete with a cry of "oh yeah!". But mainly the shadows.

It wasn't really enough to drag us away from our networked games of Worms or regular bouts of Goldeneye and Timesplitters, but it had potential. I eventually picked mine up just over a year later. So many fond memories of Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 that I just wasn't getting on any other machine. It was a tiny little box, but it was genuinely brilliant.

I imported a japanese gamecube as soon as it was released. The crazy thing is i bought it knowing full well that all the games were going to be in japanese! Must have cost me around £500 or so - and then it turned out i could only play it in b&w because of my tv. I got a NTSC-PAL converter for £50-100 and even then i didnt get the best picture. Still, it was fun playing some of the games early (i got luigi mansion, wave race and monkey ball). Think Monkey Ball got the most use.

Then thankfully the USA/JAPAN mod come out so i did that as soon as I could. It was discovered pretty much around the time the USA gamecube was released so i then imported star wars and smash bros. Great times.

I think eventually i also got a mod chip (qube) and transferred my NTSC-J insides to a PAL case as my old case broke a bit.

I loved the machine for several games and who could forget Resi 4.

I eventually got 40+ USA NTSC games and a bunch of PAL ones. Unfourtunatly resell value isnt great so they stuck in my wardrobe.

It had one of the greatest RGB signals going, once you created the correct cable. I had a Saurian cable for my switched black release model, and one I built myself for the Panasonic Q I owned.

Because so many of the games were bright and cheerful, it looked incredible and stuff like Metroid Prime was awe-inspiring on release. But yeah Metroid Prime, REmake, Resi 4, Viewtiful Joe, F-Zero GX (I liked it!) and many more made it a superb proposition and one of my top-five favourite consoles of all time.

It had one of the greatest RGB signals going, once you created the correct cable. I had a Saurian cable for my switched black release model, and one I built myself for the Panasonic Q I owned.

Because so many of the games were bright and cheerful, it looked incredible and stuff like Metroid Prime was awe-inspiring on release. But yeah Metroid Prime, REmake, Resi 4, Viewtiful Joe, F-Zero GX (I liked it!) and many more made it a superb proposition and one of my top-five favourite consoles of all time.

Yeah I eventually got one of the Saurian cables. Ended up selling it a while back though as i wasnt using it.

Nothing wrong with F Zero GX (well besides the fact its too hard). Would love a wii u one. Hopefully looking like the racing bits in Speed Racer. ^_^

I've got a Saurian cable somewhere. I've a feeling I ordered it and then never ended up using it.

Reading this thread, I remembered more stuff I had - Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX and the Monkey Ball sequel. Apart from RE4, I think the first Monkey Ball game got the most play. I've still got it set up on the big TV upstairs but never seem to get round to playing anything on it.

The release of the GameCube saw off the last vestiges of my student loan and got me through the Summer I graduated from uni. I got mine with WaveRace and Rogue Leader. The former felt hard as nails, with a difficulty curve that made me question the wisdom of putting it out as a launch title while the latter's Death Star trench run was endlessly replayed.

And then, the majesty of Monkey Target from Super Monkey Ball 2. While Monkey Fight was a great party game, Target was always intensely competitive, starting with the question 'Are we playing Magnets?' and then it was 6am and we'd been playing hours, warming up with 'Items On' before progressing to the hardcore challenge of making it to the third island on Course 1 and trying to land the 1k without any assists. I still fire this up from time-to-time and it never disappoints.

Also much love for REmake (the only Resi game I've ever got into and it still looks gorgeous today) and F-Zero GX.

The only shame was the lack of fighting games, Super Smash Bros MELEEEEEE! aside. I had to import two Hori pads to play Capcom Vs SNK2 and beating Ultimate Rugal and Shin Akuma still rank, sadly, as one of the crowning achievements of my gaming history.

Despite getting a cube on launch day, I have yet to finish Mario Sunshine, Windwaker or Luigis Mansion. Had a bit of a spending spree and picked them all up again along with a console. Just hope they don't look too rough on my tv.

Speaking of fighting games - Was there a Bloody Roar out for the GC?

Edit: Yes - Bloody Roar Primal Fury. I think I had that too.

Edit 2: Hmm, doesn't actually look familiar.

Before the launch i was lucky enough to go to the Cube Club in London with a couple of friends to check out loads of games, get free swag and have a fun time. Some great memories, did any one else go to a Cube Club?

I worked in GAME for the launch of the Gamecube, in fact i've still got my preorder gift of a little cardboard cube and inside is a VHS, mini CD with footage on it and a few leaflets about the console/upcoming games. Before the cube was due out we had an xbox demo pod and a Gamecube and we'd been pushing the xbox hard right up till the day of its launch. The xbox looked amazing, mainly PGR as Halo really isn't a game that demos well IMO but apart from PGR and Halo you had Blood Wake (great water, crap game) and some videos. The console itself along with the controller looked terrible. Whilst the Xbox pushed hard the Gamecube was always mentioned (along with the PS2) and if they wanted more info on the GC than the Xbox thats what they got.

So Xbox launch day comes and now its time to promote the Gamecube. Its demo machine looked a million times better, the console was small but well formed and the controller actually looked like a controller. With Demos of Wave Race, Rogue Squadron and Luigis Mansion it was pretty impossible not to sell the cube to people. The games, especially RS looked amazing, even better than the Xbox thanks to their vibrant colours. I'll always remember the day the price cut before launch was announced. We'd always been promoting it at £179 for the console which was a bargain compared to the Xbox at £300 and the PS2 somewhere between £200-£250, then Nintendo announced it was to launch at £130. Dixons complained about the price cut and wanting more money but this amazing looking machine was just a little more expensive than the few remaining Dreamcast bundles and the PSone (which was £99 (or£89) at that point i think).

I had the launch day off from work but there i was picking up my Gamecube. I wasn't there first thing but early enough in the morning, i remember it was extreamly sunny and i picked up the launch issue of Cube as well. The shop was like any other typical friday morning, pretty empty even though it was inside a huge shopping centre. I chatted with my friends but didn't stay long as i wanted to try out my new Black Gamecube (I never saw the appeal of the purple one even though a lot of geeky gamers loved it for being different) Luigis Mansion, Rogue Squadron and Wave Race.

Luigis mansion i played till near completion within the 10 day returns GAME offered at the time and as time was running out i decided to return it knowing i'd never play it again after completion. I've since rebought and completed it but it's hardly a massively replayable game. Wave Race looked amazing and still does to this day. The waves, especially when all the storm effects are kicking off are a sight to behold but all the little touches like seeing a proper ocean bed under the waves, reflections and bits of courses changing all made it a thrill to play. The controls are very off putting though especially if you come from the N64 version. You have to pull diagonal down to do sharp turns and it takes a lot of patients before it feels okay. Rogue Squadron is where it is at though. Im not a Star Wars fan but you can tell a lot of love and attention went into this. I remember the rumours that they'd used the CG graphics from Phantom Menece in the game for all the ships. Turns out the ships are actually more detailed on the Gamecube than the CG film ones. The graphics even now are amazing, from the bump mapping, to lighting and relfections. Theres some epic space battles with what looks like hundreds of ships on screen. The game does get quite difficult especially when trying to go for medals which unlock hidden extras but its well worth owning.

A few months later i traded in my Gamecube with Rogue Squadron and Pikmin (having swaped luigis mansion for Super Monkey Ball and then Pikmin with a few others along the way such as Crazy Taxi). But before i explain why lets talk about them games quickly. SMB i never really got the love. The single player has a certain charm but it never fully clicked. I got quite far through the difficulties but i found it more stressful than fun. I never got to play much multiplayer on it till recently where i could spend days playing Monkey Fight with friends. Pikmin is a bit like Luigis Mansion, lovely looking game and a joy to play but one i'll never go back to after completion. Crazy Taxi was just DC Crazy Taxi with different controls. Im sure i tried out a few other games but most were ports or generally just filler.

Now i sold my Gamecube for one reason, because i wanted a Panasonic Q. I'd seen them before release and thought they were extreamly ugly.

1487.jpg

It looked similar to this, except the controller ports were exactly like the Gamecube, a curved grey/white plastic. It looked terrible but as we all know now the final thing looks lovely. I imported it with Eternal Darkness (as Mario Sunshine was another month away in the US at least and i didn't fancy playing the japanese version) from VGI for around £400. Im not sure why i wanted it apart from it looking different and totally amazing, whilst i was working i wasn't earning a fortune so this was a lot of money to me at the time.

I loved the cube, even if it seemed to lose a lot of momentum in 2003 and still play some of its games today.

• Upvote 6

Other than the usual offenders, "Burnout 2 : Point of Impact" was probably my most played Gamecube game. The controller was just fantastic for it - accelerating with the large A button and then tapping on the B button with your thumb still holding A down for those beautiful drifts around the corners....I never played it on the PS2 or XBox, but the game was just made for the Cube's controller (and let's not forget the Burnout chaining!)

• Upvote 1

The Gamecube is still the only console I have ever bought at launch - mainly due to the price, but also because I was big into Phantasy Star Online and Episodes I&II was due shorty after release (it ended up coming some months later in March '03). I honestly can't remember what games I bought at launch though. Is this Wikipedia list complete? If so, I must have got Luigi's Mansion, which I never really got on with and quite disliked when I went back to it more recently.

European launch: May 3, 2002

I did really like the cube though, even if it was a bit limited in its game selection. What it did have was generally really good though, and we got most of the best stuff here in PAL land. As well as being home to my all-time favourite game (PSO EpI&II) there was plenty of other good stuff like the Resident Evil exclusives and ports. DK Jungle Beat. Killer 7, Viewtiful Joe & PN03. Animal Crossing (one of the only games I imported). Pac-Man VS (which I didn't get to play enough). Then a bunch of other great games I didn't really get into, like F-Zero GX, Metroid Prime & Wind Waker. The system menu was also great. Especially the calming music, which turned out to be an easter egg! (See

). I thought pre-launch that Nintendo was doing all the right things with the GC and GBA - shame the general public didn't quite agree.

-EDIT-

Nearly forgot to mention the fantastic GBA Player, which also got a fair bit of use. That coupled with one of those SNES style Hori controllers was almost as good as a real SNES, with titles like Metroid Fusion and Mario Kart Super Circuit etc.