rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
toythatkills

Weekend Cheeve Sweepstakes WTF

WEEKEND CHEEVE CHALLENGE

"What do achievement points make? Prizes!" (Bruce Forsyth, 2012)

Okay, so what's this all about then?

Every weekend (as long as there's not a trade show on) PlayXBLA run a contest whereby if you earn a certain number of the achievements that they specify, you'll get a prize for it. So far, this has been two or three XBLA codes.

I like prizes!

Me too, and they've given away such games as Trials Evolution, FEZ, Alan Wake's American Nightmare, Half-Minute Hero, Sine Mora, Radiant Silvergun and loads more. These are not shit prizes.

Really?

Okay, sometimes they're shit. You won't know what you're going to win until they email you the prize, unfortunately. If you win something you don't want though, there will always be people that do want it, and I'm sure they will repay your generosity next time they win something they don't want! You'll probably be surprised at how much of the stuff on XBLA is really good though.

So, what do I have to do?

To win, you just need to earn however many achievements they request, making sure that you earn achievements that they have specified. If you've already earned the achievements years ago, they still count, so that's less that you have to worry about over the weekend. You can earn them in as many or as few of the specified games as you're able.

You have to earn them by Monday at 5pm, and you simply email them and wait until your prizes come. It's that simple. Regardless of when you email them over the weekend, it will be Monday evening when your prizes come through.

When you're emailing them, include your Gamertag, and you can make their lives easier by linking to it like this. Let them know what games you've earned the achievements in, too, it's nice to be nice.

What if I don't win?

EVERYBODY WINS, as long as they earn the achievements. There's no prize draw, there's no first-come first-served, if you earn the achievements you get the prize.

Good luck!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

http://playxbla.com/?p=8869

Properly hard this week!

You need six achievements, and each game has three, so if you've only got two games you're gonna need the lot. Prize if you can do it is two XBLA codes.

Fable Heroes

Ruler of Albion 20

Complete all levels in the world of Albion.

World Champion 20

Achieve a Gold Medal in every level. This also unlocks a tile on the Inner Board.

Fast & Furious 5

Complete the Mine Cart Mini-Game in under 13 seconds. This unlocks a tile on the Inner Board.

Toy Soldiers: Napalm Pack

The End Of An Odyssey 10

Destroy the Homer.

In Memoriam 20

Find 15 Golden Dog Tags.

Heated Rivalry 20

Call in a Napalm Strike in any Versus game.

Alien Hominid HD

Hungry Yeti 10

Eat 50 KGB Agents with the Yeti.

WMD 20

Reach 5000 Km in Super Soviet Missile Mastar.

Head Chomper 20

Head bite 50 enemies without touching the ground or firing.

The Fable and Toy Soldiers ones should be pretty simple if you've got those two games. The Alien Hominid ones I'm less sure about. They seem like they might be really fucking hard. Yeah, here's the achievement guide for Alien Hominid, sounds like Head Chomper in particular will be a right bitch. Unfortunately, it's that and Toy Soldiers that I've got so I guess I'm going to be giving it a go :lol:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Hmm, don't think I can do that. The Toy Soldiers ones look doable, but I don't have Fable: Heroes or Alien Hominid, and whilst I would probably buy one of them, some of the achievements look hard and I don't want to buy both.

The Fable and Toy Soldiers ones should be pretty simple if you've got those two games.

I don't know man, I've not played it but the 'gold medal in every level' one for Fable Heroes has a 1% completion rate on TrueAchievements.

I don't know man, I've not played it but the 'gold medal in every level' one for Fable Heroes has a 1% completion rate on TrueAchievements.

Ah, fair enough, I'm sure I read somewhere that the game was pretty simple but I haven't bought it because the reviews didn't really sell it. Looks like people might need all three to have a decent chance this week then, the difficulty has definitely ramped up!

Hmmm. Don't think I'll bother this week. Neither Fable or Alien Hominid particularly interest me, and I'm not buying them just on the off-chance that I might get something decent out of it.

Apparently, two of those Fable Heroes achievements can't be unlocked at the moment. Something to do with a level not being available?

Yeah, so I'm hearing, you can't "complete all the levels" or "gold medal all the levels" because all the levels aren't there. I guess most people are going to need all three games... Is anyone able to go for this at all?

I don't have any of those games - none of them really interest me.

I'd be surprised if many people had picked up Fable Heroes though after the reviews started coming in.

Yeah, me too. I do actually have Alien Hominid but it's one of the very few XBLA titles (out of LOADS) that I've regretted buying.

Thanks for setting up the thread though, will be very useful in future :)

I bet the prizes are good for this one.

Give me an excuse to pay out for Alien Hominid.

What's the better there is an announcement for Battleblock Theatre coming up.

I bought Fable Heroes, it isn't as good as I would have hoped, but not as bad as some reviews make out either.

I bet the prizes are good for this one.

Give me an excuse to pay out for Alien Hominid.

What's the better there is an announcement for Battleblock Theatre coming up.

I bought Fable Heroes, it isn't as good as I would have hoped, but not as bad as some reviews make out either.

yeah when you start building up your puppet its not too bad at all.

Me after ten minutes with Alien Hominid: "Oh fuck this, it's way too hard, I'm putting it on easy."

Me after ten minutes and twelve seconds with Alien Hominid: "Oh my God it's already on easy."

• Upvote 2

The Head Chomper one is the last one I need now, you only have to play as far as 2-2 to get the Yeti one so the other two are definitely doable even if you're rubbish, as I am. This one seems like it's going to be tougher though, the controls just seem a bit... shite. It's not difficult to perform, it's just difficult to do 50 times in a row. This Youtube offers a decent looking strategy but I've not made it past about ten yet because I always get to a point where my guy just doesn't quite latch on.

Hah! Got it! That's all three Alien Hominid HD achievements done, hopefully the Toy Soldiers ones are easy enough. Actually, in the end those AH ones weren't too much trouble. You can brute force your way through enough stages to get to the Yeti, the minigame is pretty easy and there's a guide if you're struggling, and Head Chomper seems harder than it actually is.

The trick is to be basically exactly where the video above shows, so there's always four guys on screen. This keeps things moving pretty quickly. You still want to be patient though. ONLY chomp if a guy has run up to you and stopped close to you (like, at the bottom of the hill), and with his back turned. This way he won't scream and run off and you'll have plenty of time to chomp him. ONLY go after guys as soon as they stop moving, if you waste more than a second or so, just wait and get the next one. They come thick and fast so you'll have another chance in a few seconds. As long as you're making sure you're only chomping when there's a guy right there with his back to you, you basically can't lose unless you press the wrong button or something. You're invincible when you're on a guy's shoulders, so literally just wait as long as you need, even if that's five minutes. (It never took that long, but patience absolutely is key).

I'll give it a pass this week, so is the plan to create a new thread every week or just edit this thread?

I AM WINNER. Toy Soldiers achievements are well easy.

I'll be using this thread every week. I'll put the details of the new challenge in a new post and edit the title so people can easily see what games they need.

I was feeling tempted by how easy you'd made that sound, and then I realised that I would be buying two games that I didn't really want in order to potentially get two codes for games that I also didn't want. Good luck to those of you giving it a whirl though.

Yeah, not going to make this. Has Skullgirls been a selected game? They seem to favour newer releases, but I've not noticed it yet!

Yeah, not going to make this. Has Skullgirls been a selected game? They seem to favour newer releases, but I've not noticed it yet!

Nope, not yet, but they're open to suggestions if you email them. You should also suggest Ikaruga, Hard Corps and Mega Man 9. They could have a hilariously difficult one to really get their comments page buzzing :lol:

I was feeling tempted by how easy you'd made that sound, and then I realised that I would be buying two games that I didn't really want in order to potentially get two codes for games that I also didn't want. Good luck to those of you giving it a whirl though.

You'd need to buy both bits of Toy Soldiers DLC as well, so that'd be 3,200 points in total! Probably not worth it really.

Apparently that Cloud level in Fable is unlocked now so those achievements are doable again. I don't think anyone here was relying on them but just in case, worth having a look now.

It's not 100% verified, but there's possibly a glitch where if you don't have both bits of DLC, the Napalm achievements don't unlock.

I think I've still got an Evil Empire code, I can't remember giving it away yet so if you did want to go for this challenge and they aren't unlocking, you can give it a go.

• Upvote 2