rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Lorfarius

The Spoiler-Filled Game of Thrones Book Readers Thread (Seriously Spoilers)

When are they going to reveal that Joffrey commissioned the hit on Bran. I'd imagine most TV viewers have completely forgotten about that particular plot point.

There’s an interesting discussion in the TV thread about whether the hand of the White Walker has arrived at Kings Landing yet. I was 100% sure there was a scene on the show with Cersei and the dude from the Nights Watch arguing about the hand and the need for more resources at the wall. Apparently this didn’t happen in the TV show. Weird how your own brain can trick you.

I vaguely remember a Small Council scene with Cersei and Tyrion where she makes fun of him for believing in grumpkins and boggarts in relation to a request from the Night Watch.

• Upvote 1

A letter arrived by raven and the small council talked about it. Alliser Thorne hasn't yet arrived, and I wouldn't honestly be surprised if his arrival and immediate return trip to the Wall is postponed until Season 3 simply because of the necessities of TV. It's a scene that doesn't suffer much from being put into the next season, and Thorne plays an active part in ASOS' storyline while this would be his one scene in the whole season otherwise. The practicalities of TV probably mean that it's not worth hiring him for one scene in this season.

I can't post this in response to Hawkeye's shitfit because it's too spoilery, so here will have to do. I'm all but certain the scene hasn't been written out; just postponed. They explicitly set up Thorne's journey to King's Landing in S1, so to skip over it entirely would be very bad practice.

When are they going to reveal that Joffrey commissioned the hit on Bran. I'd imagine most TV viewers have completely forgotten about that particular plot point.

I can't blame them. By the time it was revealed in the books, it was so far gone that no one really cared any more. The same with Lysa being the one to kill Jon Arryn at the end of Storm of Swords. Though it goes to show just how little the outbreak of the War of Five Kings hinged on - and mostly lies and deceit.

And seriously, why are people making up scenes in their heads?

As I recall, it's just Tyrion sitting seeing people with business with the crown in the book. He dismisses the concerns of Alliser Thorne mostly because he doesn't like the man, having met him on the Wall.

I remember once on Richard and Judy they were interviewing Michael Gambon just after the fifth Harry Potter had come out. They were both convinced that he'd died at the end of that film, while he said, "No, it's next year that I die." But they were both sure they'd seen a scene where he falls to his death. I remember thinking how bizarre it was that two people could make up a scene in their heads. But clearly it's not that unusual.

Maybe it's to do with when you read the book in relation to seeing the screen version. I get mixed a bit about what happened in the first season because I was reading the book at the same time. But season two is a lot clearer for me since it was a year ago I read Clash of Kings.

A letter arrived by raven and the small council talked about it. Alliser Thorne hasn't yet arrived, and I wouldn't honestly be surprised if his arrival and immediate return trip to the Wall is postponed until Season 3 simply because of the necessities of TV. It's a scene that doesn't suffer much from being put into the next season, and Thorne plays an active part in ASOS' storyline while this would be his one scene in the whole season otherwise. The practicalities of TV probably mean that it's not worth hiring him for one scene in this season.

I agree completely, but you've got to wonder what he's been doing all this time. The sea route is supposed to be the fast way to travel in Westeros. It only took Catelyn an episode to get from White Harbour to King's Landing in season one. Maybe Ser Alliser has been busy whoring in Braavos or something. He's supposed to be around at the same time Ser Janos Slynt needs transport to the Wall.

I can't post this in response to Hawkeye's shitfit because it's too spoilery, so here will have to do. I'm all but certain the scene hasn't been written out; just postponed. They explicitly set up Thorne's journey to King's Landing in S1, so to skip over it entirely would be very bad practice.

I don't think it is bad to ignore him. The commander sent him away to seperate him and Jon snow- we've already had a scene in which the nights watch concerns are dismissed so it seems like a waste if screen time too show it again.

I think why that scene didn't really work his becuase he didn't need to kill him. He could of just had him play dead.

I dunno. It was at night, so playing dead probably wouldn't be perceivably different to playing asleep. Or indeed, being asleep. It was probably necessary for his face to be utterly caved in to attract concern from the guards.

I thought the guard didn't see his face until he turned him over?

Edit: I think it would have been better to have him catch Jamie in the act and have to rush in to break them up (knowing that Rob had promised him that he would not be harmed and therefore would have defend Robs honour). The way it was play there was enough time for the guard to think about it and suspect something was up.

It didn't really work for me.

I think they did it that way as him bunging Bran out of the window and stabbing whatsisface in the eye is a distant memory to most viewers, so they wanted to re-establish his bastard credentials in preparation of his upcoming arc.

I agree it didn't sit right with me either compared to book Jaime's character even before the events at Harrenhal.

• Upvote 1

I think the concept of Jamie killing a 'nobody' to save himself was fine, it's something Jamie would definately do. Espiecally, to get out of jail and back to Cersai but it was exicuted poorly.

Let's get back to important stuff that they can't talk about over there.

List of characters who've shat themselves in ASOIAF:

- Tywin Lannister

- Daenerys Targaryen

- Pretty Pig

• Upvote 4

Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones TV Show - Book Readers Thread (Spoilers)

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. None. The Books don't exist

Game of Thrones - People who've only read as far as A Clash of Kings (Spoilers)

Game of Thrones - People who've only read as far as A Storm of Swords (Spoilers)

Game of Thrones - People who've only read as far as A Feast for Crows (Spoilers)

Game of Thrones - People who've only read as far as A Dance with Dragons (Spoilers)

Game of Thrones - People who've read the preview chapter for Winds of Winter on GRRM's website (Spoilers)

Game of Thrones - People who've played the ropey looking videogame (Spoilers)

Game of Thrones - People who meant to click on the Mad Men thread and clicked this instead (Mad Men Spoilers)

Game of Thrones - [NSFW] The Female Characters' Form

• Upvote 7

Game of Thrones folder request incoming!

You jest, but... hmm :sherlock:

On second thoughts, I assume those creepy sites which post pictures of weathergirls, newsreaders and the like are all over that already.

Game of Thrones

Game of Thrones TV Show - Book Readers Thread (Spoilers)

Game of Thrones - No Book Chat. None. The Books don't exist

Game of Thrones - People who've only read as far as A Clash of Kings (Spoilers)

Game of Thrones - People who've only read as far as A Storm of Swords (Spoilers)

Game of Thrones - People who've only read as far as A Feast for Crows (Spoilers)

Game of Thrones - People who've only read as far as A Dance with Dragons (Spoilers)

Game of Thrones - People who've read the preview chapter for Winds of Winter on GRRM's website (Spoilers)

Game of Thrones - People who've played the ropey looking videogame (Spoilers)

Game of Thrones - People who meant to click on the Mad Men thread and clicked this instead (Mad Men Spoilers)

You left out

Game of Thrones - Meta-thread for discussing the efficacy of multi-thread format

This multi thread thing is silly, two's enough

Anyway lots of changes this episode, all for the better in terms of character I felt. Love the scenes with Tywin and Arya, and the relationship between Snow and Ygritte is much less annoying. She even delivered that line in an non-annoying fashion.

Also the Jamie chat interesting in terms of the RJ rumour thing.

I also disagree that the characters are too sympathetic, I love the way all the characters are motivated by what they deem to be good and we understand their motivation. In real life people aren't just plain evil. Well, mostly.

I continue to be very impressed, though it does feel like there is a lot of plot left to get through. And more Stannis, Davos and comedy pirate please.

• Upvote 1

I though Ygritte was pretty universally annoying in the books. In the show, I think she's more sympathetic than Jon, even though we're supposed to be on his side.

Good job, that actress!

Does anyone find Tywin's characterisation in these Arya scenes problematic, from what we know about him in the books? He never comes across there as friendly at all - ruthlessly pragmatic (see RW), unfairly unforgiving (Tyrion) and apparently hypocritical in the matters of honour and propriety (Shae).