rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Lorfarius

The Spoiler-Filled Game of Thrones Book Readers Thread (Seriously Spoilers)

One thing I'm not clear on; it appears that Season 3 will build up to The Red Wedding in it's 9th or 10th episode. How then is the sack of Winterfell by Ramsay, which is anticipated at the end of this season, going to go undetected until the end of the 3rd? Is that consistent with the books?

They're splitting ASOS across two seasons though aren't they? As well as moving some stuff from Book 2 into S3 (presumably the Reeds, and maybe even Ramsay). So the passage of time is just going to move slower in Season 3, and they'll be able to elaborate things a bit more.

I'm assuming that Beric and Co. will be introduced at the start of Season 3 with a hefty reminder as I doubt anyone will remember his 10 second cameo in Season 1. Zombie Cat is going to need quite the groundwork.

• Upvote 1

I'm assuming that Beric and Co. will be introduced at the start of Season 3 with a hefty reminder as I doubt anyone will remember his 10 second cameo in Season 1. Zombie Cat is going to need quite the groundwork.

I really want someone from the no spoilers TV show thread to stumble in here :)

BTW, at the end of ADWD: the resurrected massive guy in armour is Gregor, right... and he's headless? Or?

Yes he is. Nobody knows what's under the helmet yet. Comedy option, Ned Stark's noggin.

That reminds me, the new Gregor is proper shit. All he's done so far is point at someone and mutter and from what I remember he doesn't actually do much until his big fight which would be in Season 3. There is that whole raping an innkeepers daughter incident but that's told in retrospect to Ayra by someone. Which begs the question why they bothered recasting him with the Stringbean that Rides. They'd have been better off just waiting until Season 3 to see if the original bloke's scheduling clash resolved.

EDIT: Just popped into the other thread, despite banishing us beyond the Wall, they're still managing to tie themselves in knots arguing about spoilers.

• Upvote 4

Spartacus Season 2 spoilers.

He was in Spartacus for about three episodes, then he got his face sliced off and his brain fell through the hole. He's also in The Hobbit which is probably the bigger conflict. Although he posted a blog entry saying that HBO hadn't really bothered contacting him properly, so may he's an awkward sod or something and they just wanted rid.

I assumed he was more of a Frankinstein's Monster deal? Made up of Gregor and other dead bodies.

He can't ilterally be headless, can he? HOW WILL HE SEE?!

Does Martin have a definitive number of books that this is going to be wrapped up in? I think I read somewhere that he's already gone further than he meant to, but I wasn't sure if he'd re-jigged it and said it stops at eight or something.

I'm only asking as I really want to see more of Sothoros. I'm hoping it follows the progression of: Westeros - pretty normal bar Dragons, a couple of Giants, COTF and The Others ---Essos - Manticores, Warlocks, other bits that I can't remember ---- Sothoros - absolutely batshit insane magic happening.

He can't ilterally be headless, can he? HOW WILL HE SEE?!

A dead man walking, with no head? How does he smell?

I can't remember it from the books (same with all the Reek stuff, I'm sure it was in there somewhere but with so many characters and description and stuff it's easy to lose track) but wiki says his body got given to the Brave Companions' lapsed maester, Qyburn, who was ousted from Oldtown after he did some messed up experiments on dead and/or living people. This, plus the fact that Luwin said all maesters experiment with magic at some point, means we can realistically expect pretty much anything. It's never explicitly stated that the new big guy is Clegane, but it's suggested heavily, with pretty much everyone at court saying 'well, how many people do you know that are 8ft tall and can fight like that?'. The new guy is possibly mute- that might be because of Qyburn's process (/possible decapitation) or it might just be that he's keeping quiet so that people don't recognise his voice.

I was surprised how negatively many people reacted to the shadow baby scene. I wonder how people will feel as the story gets more and more fantastical.

I was surprised how negatively many people reacted to the shadow baby scene. I wonder how people will feel as the story gets more and more fantastical.

I remember being a bit unsettled about how much sorcery was creeping into the books. Magic shifts the goalposts. Ned Stark was killed by devious political treachery... then Renly Baratheon was killed by a shadow monster queefed out of a witch's clunge. You can understand the resistance. But I eventually accepted it.

I think the TV show made Melisandre's sorcery more obvious and upfront than in the book, by showing the "birthing" scene for Renly's assassination, rather than keeping Renly's shadow assassin mysterious and then only showing us later how Melisandre achieves it.

I also recall some other small gradual clues about magic, such as the pyromancer telling Tyrion that they were able to make wildfire a lot more easily than they expected, and the supposed reason is because magic is returning to the world.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, and the suggestion that the Pyromancers' craft plus Thoros' (and presumably Melisandre's) magic has become possible by the return of dragons to the world.

Gregor Clegane is a problematic character for the TV show's creators. He's a hugely important character insofar as the influence he has on events past and present - other characters are always talking about him. But he's hardly ever present in the narrative of the story, and when he is, he barely speaks. I can't remember exactly, but I want to say he doesn't get a line of dialogue until Storm of Swords. Possibly it was Clash of Kings.

Does Martin have a definitive number of books that this is going to be wrapped up in? I think I read somewhere that he's already gone further than he meant to, but I wasn't sure if he'd re-jigged it and said it stops at eight or something.

I'm only asking as I really want to see more of Sothoros. I'm hoping it follows the progression of: Westeros - pretty normal bar Dragons, a couple of Giants, COTF and The Others ---Essos - Manticores, Warlocks, other bits that I can't remember ---- Sothoros - absolutely batshit insane magic happening.

Another two allegedly - but given his inability to edit himself currently I'll eat my hat if he wraps it up in another two.

The last two books were not intended to be written at all - originally events were meant to skip straight from the end of Storm of Swords to roughly where we are now with beginning of The Winds of Winter - he then found he was writing too much in flashback and binned the lot and started again writing the interlude section. Then he found he had too much material he split it into two, splitting the POV characters with both books running in tandem chronologically. It took him the best part of 10 years to do this (despite supposedly having already written most of Dance with Dragons at the same time as Feast for Crows it still took him five years to finish it, and he's getting on and looking liable to drop dead any minute.

So yeah chances of his resolving all the plot lines in another two (even DWD sized) books seem slim to none but lets hope the TV series acts as a spur for him.

See this is the interesting things, given despite all the medieval political intrigue at the end of the day the series is a very bleak take on high fantasy.

EDIT: Just popped into the other thread, despite banishing us beyond the Wall, they're still managing to tie themselves in knots arguing about spoilers.

They truly are the children of summer, but winter is coming.

And it's going to fuck with their head! :lol:

OT: I think they will have to introduce the Reeds, if only to have some additional dialogue as Hodor and (later) Coldhands aren't the chattiest of people. Particularly when Brandon and Rickon split up. They might be used to develop the warging storyline.

It's sad we're now past the series halfway point. I think they should be doing a better job building up to the battle of Blackwater, which, looking at episode titles is going to be number 9. In Clash of Kings, from Tyrion's storyline especially there's this sense of impending doom as they try their best to prepare themselves for Stannis' attack, which seems hopeless given his naval superiority and the merging of his forces with the majority of Renly's.

According to Wikipedia the last episode is called valar morghulis. So is this where arya gets the coin do we think, because otherwise its where she sets of for braavos after the red wedding. Must be the end of the Jaqen arc, right?

He's ace by the way. Do we think we will see kingslayer at harrenhal soon?

According to Wikipedia the last episode is called valar morghulis. So is this where arya gets the coin do we think, because otherwise its where she sets of for braavos after the red wedding. Must be the end of the Jaqen arc, right?

He's ace by the way. Do we think we will see kingslayer at harrenhal soon?

Not until next season, surely?

Arya says Valar Morghulis as she kills one of Bolton's guards in order to escape Harrenhal. I assume that's why it's called that. Whether we'll hear the meaning of the phrase via Dany's storyline as in the book remains to be seen.

Erm, Jaqen gives her the coin and tells her to say that if she meets a man of braavos.

So that's got to happen and then her escape right? but that's after Bolton turns up.

Then in book 3 vargo turns up with his merry band of douchebags and chops off jaime's hand.

But that could get worked into this series.

It more than likely will be her getting the coin because she threatened to name him as the third choice unless he helped her free the men of the north, after that he gives her the coin, tells her the phrase then fucks off after changing his face

I meant Jaime not until next season. There are four episodes left, and I'm not sure thy can stretch Arya's storyline such that the coin giving ends up in the season finale. I may be wrong. But they have to have Roose Bolton seizing Harrenhal first, if it's going to happen the same way it did in the books. If they leave Arya's departure from Harrenhal until next season it'll add to the growing list of material they've had to delay from this season.

Are they not going to show Tyrion getting the massive chain made? Isn't that pretty important to the Battle of Blackwater?

I guess they could just do it with wildfire. I found the chain saga boring.

Are they not going to show Tyrion getting the massive chain made? Isn't that pretty important to the Battle of Blackwater?

There are 3 episodes (I think?) before Blackwater the chain will take one or two scenes to set up. There is plenty of time for that.

I wonder if they'll play it as a surprise, a couple of oblique mentions of blacksmiths hired en masse in the next couple of episodes, then in Episode 9 when Tyrion and pals seem boned all of a sudden BIG CHAIN IN YOUR GRILL SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKERS!