rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Lorfarius

The Spoiler-Filled Game of Thrones Book Readers Thread (Seriously Spoilers)

The Targaryens ruled for generations, he managed what, fourteen years? A win for him in terms of wine and strumpets, but not so much for the realm or his legacy. It's a failure not unlike Cromwell's failure after the English Civil War.

Next monday I am going to be sitting accross from my hodor housemate. I need to make sure he doesnt see it first and that I dont give away the magnitude of what is to come. I am gonna struggle to watch the screen rather thab his reactions

Having said that if they havent yet worked out that ep 9 is when the shit goes down I dont know what to say

• Upvote 1

An interesting point. It occurs to me that Danaerys is the only one out there learning how to be a ruler, as well as a leader. The rest are all entitled blokes who simply assume that being good at fighting will be enough (and look where that got Robert Baratheon).

The only other person, really, is Jon Snow. Maybe he is not exactly a ruler but he is learning the same lessons about the responsibility of power as Dany.

That's a good point. Shame he got juked to death (apparently).

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death..."

Jon got shanked, will get resurrected by Melisandre, and will ride off to retake the realm as a man freed from his bond to the Watch through his death.

Jon's got l33t haxx.

Next monday I am going to be sitting accross from my hodor housemate. I need to make sure he doesnt see it first and that I dont give away the magnitude of what is to come. I am gonna struggle to watch the screen rather thab his reactions

A guy I know read on wikipedia by accident that Joffrey dies at some point and seems to think it's always going to be next episode. I told him to look forward to episode 9 because it would be big and he was all "is that when Joffrey dies?" so I gave him a conspiratorial look like he'd figured out something big. When he asked about the wedding at the Twins I acted like I didn't really remember it.

• Upvote 1

There's a voice, keeps on calling me- down the (king's) road, that's where I'll always be...

The littlest Hodor?

• Upvote 2

My boyfriend did the classic thing of wanting to know how to spell Sansa Stark's name and ended up being spoiled about Joffrey's death on wikipedia. I was kind of annoyed I wouldn't be able to see his reaction to that, but I'm glad he won't see the Red Wedding coming.

The only other person, really, is Jon Snow. Maybe he is not exactly a ruler but he is learning the same lessons about the responsibility of power as Dany.

Stannis learned a lesson too, when he inverted his 'rule to save the realm' position. I remember being impressed by that in the book, though the details of how it came about - and thus how it might be rendered on TV, though it can't be far off - escape me. Also, he's meant to be dead, but I'm not buying that without seeing the body.

This may be an incredibly stupid question based on GRRM's past form, but, do we know when we're actually likely to see the next book?

For as much as I've liked each book in the series less and less as I've progressed, I'm still fucking hooked. I think the TV series being so excellent it partly to blame though. I'd be less antsy for any new 'Thrones' if I wasn't gnashing my teeth for each new TV episode/series.

He's said 2014. There is some sort of encyclopaedia thing due this year with a load of additional background stuff in the autumn.

You didnt think Storm was the best?

He's said 2014. There is some sort of encyclopaedia thing due this year with a load of additional background stuff in the autumn.

You didnt think Storm was the best?

I think I read them too close together, I just got ever more fed up with the entire thing, which isn't normally the case when I find and devour an author. Still, he's done a number on me though, as I'll day-one the next one, regardless.

World of Ice and Fire was supposed to be out this year but seems like it will probably be next year. I think GRRM said spring 2014. The book details a lot of history and backstory, including the official accounts of the Targaryan conquest of Westeros.

It seems unlikely that there would be two SoIaF books in one year, but I heard the delay for WorldoIaF is to do with it needing additional artwork or something rather than GRRM still working on it. But he seems to spend every other day at a bloody convention and is also writing a Dunk and Egg story, apparently. Winds of Winter? Summer 2016, perhaps?

Fucking mad to think that my son will probably be celebrating his twelfth birthday before I see an end to this story.*

*Yeah, yeah, he'll be dead long before then etc etc Don't do it, guys. Let me dream of spring.

You haven't read the Winds of Winter chapter that was on GRRM's website a couple of New Years ago, have you?

Clearly not! I don't really want to - it doesn't feel like it counts somehow, would rather read the book as a whole. Shall we start a new thread? ;)

I've heard/read extracts from three chapters from Winds of Winter. Though I know there are often edits to these chapters once the final book comes out. A Dany and a Tyrion chapter from DwD were available before the book came out but one of the prophecies from Dany's changed slightly (or so I remember reading somewhere).

I wonder how it's going to play out tomorrow - will they mirror the books and suggest Arya might be a goner as well (I actually gasped then frantically flicked through the chapters searching for another Arya chapter).

I hope Rob's death is brutally clear (ala Ned) - no Hordor hope for them.

I'd like if they leave it a bit open as to whether Robb is dead or not, then the next episode they open with a shot of Greywind's head on Robb's body

I think it might be more heartbreaking to see Arya trying to get into the castle with the Hound grabbing her to stop her, and her struggling against him. In slow-motion. Sort of a mirror of her and Yoren from season 1.