rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Lorfarius

The Spoiler-Filled Game of Thrones Book Readers Thread (Seriously Spoilers)

Really good episode, I thought.

I laughed out loud, though, when Melisandre's Gendry-fucking turned out to be a ruse. Nothing like convincing the audience that the boobs were necessary to the plot. Instead she just used them to lure him into a position where she could leech him of everything he had of value. Just like all women!

We're down to one sellsword company, though - no Brown Ben Plumm and Daario doesn't have the ambiguously foreign sexy accent I imagined he did in the books.

I noted they changed the order of the leech-killing, possibly to draw attention away from Robb by putting him first. Was almost wondering if Joffrey was going to end up being killed at Tyrion's wedding after all that, since as far as I recall he doesn't have much of a role in the story beyond what we've already seen. I'm sure the writers were trying to make us think that as well.

They certainly have made Sansa a hell of a lot more sympathetic at the wedding as well as reinforcing the Rains of Castamere. Quite funny really, Cersei is just giving House Tyrell more reasons

Watching Melisandre and Gendry fuck felt like a jaunt into weird fanfic :lol:

I don't think Lena Headey gets enough kudos for her portrayal of Cersei either. It's an immensely tough balance to strike and she really nails it, saying more with a look or a sigh than many actors could manage. I'm looking forward to later seasons where she gets brought to the forefront more.

• Upvote 1

WHAT?!?!?

Memorial Day weekend in America so the show is on a one week hiatus. Most major shows try and avoid it as they all take a ratings dip during the holiday. It's so fucking annoying.

Which Kingsguard tried to kill Tyrion at the Blackwater? I'm sure I saw him behind Joffrey in last night's episode. Mistake or me mis-remembering?

Which Kingsguard tried to kill Tyrion at the Blackwater? I'm sure I saw him behind Joffrey in last night's episode. Mistake or me mis-remembering?

Ser Mandon Moore, wasn't it?

Unless he recovered from having a spear pushed THROUGH HIS HEAD then you were mistaken.

I thought Moore was the one who went off with Myrcella (horrible mis-remembering of her name, I'm sure). Or was that Trant? The ones Joffrey named last night were Boros and, erm....I forget.

So it was Trant and Boros in that scene last night then. Clear now, ta. Which is the one with the black beard, because he's the tosser who did for Sirrio, in the show :(

I find reading the non-bok thread on here a joy

they seem to think the leeches will spawn some kind of black monsters to eat joffrey and robb stark...

delicious

In fairness, it's not like the magic in the story obeys any kind of rules.

The deaths of the three kings is an interesting point for discussion in the books, because it's not clear whether Melisandre just saw the deaths in her flames beforehand and then made it seem like she was responsible, or if her magic in some way actually caused the deaths. Since it seems all three of the kings were actually murdered, it's hard to say whether she had any influence at all.

I'd go the former personally, The Freys had already been planning on killing Robb because he insulted their house and thought he was bigger than he is, and House Tyrell the same as soon as Granny found out Joffery was a monster.

Something's bothering me now with this: Stannis. He was always of the opinion that he was the rightful heir because Joffrey is not Robert's son, and he was right, he was. But now, in the show, we have Gendry, who's claim to throne comes before Stannis'. I know in the show, Stannis said something about Robert's bastard offspring with some whore, but it just doesn't ring true. The one thing Stannis has always seemed to be is absolutely loyal to the line of succession. In my opinion, he would not simply abandon Gendry, he would, as distasteful as it may be to him, get behind him as the true heir. His throwing him to Melissandre, just because she says he's going to be king at some point doesn't ring true to his character.

Doesn't the king of the Iron Born (forget his name) just fall off a bridge by accident?

I think Melisandre is fluking magic powers all of a sudden because of the dragons. I also think the leeches aren't genuine, but they further increase Stannis's belief in Melisandre.

Actress playing Cersei is my favourtie, nice to see Darios made real though and he's far more charming than in the books.

Doesn't the king of the Iron Born (forget his name) just fall off a bridge by accident?

He gets pushed off by a Faceless Man hired by Euron.

He gets pushed off by a Faceless Man hired by Euron.

That's fan speculation, not confirmed right?

That's fan speculation, not confirmed right?

Its in one of the ghost of high heart's prophecies.

"I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings."

I'd go the former personally, The Freys had already been planning on killing Robb because he insulted their house and thought he was bigger than he is, and House Tyrell the same as soon as Granny found out Joffery was a monster.

Yeah- the timeline in the series is a bit different so the plots to kill Robb and Joff must already be in motion. Makes the Melisandre just sees the future thing much more plausible. Plus otherwise it'd be really weird- her magic effectively causes a lethal dose of bad luck?

Regarding Dario's hair: the one thing the series does consistently is remove colour to add to the seriousness/medieval realism: ie everyone has coloured enamelled armour in the books. Though one flamb

Yeah- the timeline in the series is a bit different so the plots to kill Robb and Joff must already be in motion. Makes the Melisandre just sees the future thing much more plausible. Plus otherwise it'd be really weird- her magic effectively causes a lethal dose of bad luck?

Regarding Dario's hair: the one thing the series does consistently is remove colour to add to the seriousness/medieval realism: ie everyone has coloured enamelled armour in the books. Though one flamboyant guy with dyed hair wouldn't hurt.

Then again, given Dany's taste in men (eg Drogo), maybe this is more plausible?

Its in one of the ghost of high heart's prophecies.

"I dreamt of a man without a face, waiting on a bridge that swayed and swung. On his shoulder perched a drowned crow with seaweed hanging from his wings."

I've read the series twice now and never once picked up on that. Wow.

I always thought that Balon's death was weird in that his was an accident and the others were flat out murders but shit, reading that I can see how Martin had them all aligned after all.

GRRM you magnificent bastard.

To be fair, I really dislike is use of prophecy to communicate plot points. It seems lazy and a bit of a cheat to me.