rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Lorfarius

The Spoiler-Filled Game of Thrones Book Readers Thread (Seriously Spoilers)

Ah right, CoK and SoS tend to blend together in my head.

I was a bit disappointed in Qhorin Halfhand, in my head he was like an older Westeros version of Jack Bauer and definitely not the manky old git who suddenly appeared on screen without warning.

We're going to get a nice fight against the Others then. :)

When does Sam find the dragonglass?

Good news everybody, they're casting for the most important part in the saga.

UPDATE 2: Another role that is rumored to be currently casting is Daario Naharis. And, according to someone who has seen the casting breakdown, the producers are looking for “any ethnicity, except Caucasian.

Can they possibly get someone dreamy enough to play MCpT6.pngDaarioMCpT6.png

We're going to get a nice fight against the Others then. :)

When does Sam find the dragonglass?

In the book, doesn't Jon find it with the help of Ghost, before he leaves with Qhorin? I wonder if they'll even introduce it in the series. Would be a shame to skip Sam's moment of badassery.

In the book, doesn't Jon find it with the help of Ghost, before he leaves with Qhorin? I wonder if they'll even introduce it in the series. Would be a shame to skip Sam's moment of badassery.

Totally, the bravest craven in the series!

I don't recall the

(this is a tricky one, as I think it's a spoiler for this episode because it's a significant deviation from the books)

dragons getting nicked in the books, but admittedly it's been a while. Is this going to be an interesting plot arc? All I can see happening is either they have to massively derail Dany's whole line for the rest of time, or there's just a brief scene where her remaining Dothraki and some of Xaro's people go and kick some ass, take some names to get them back, which would seem like an anticlimax. Or maybe it's just a way to get her to go to the sorcery place, instead of just going there because she fancies it.

Do we still spoiler Episode 6 discussion until it's aired on Sky? I know everything is more relaxed in here, but it's still TV rules...

S02E06:

The dragon kidnapping seems completely new and manufactured, but I understand why they've done it. Dany's plotline in book 2 was quite sparse and lacked drama. It was imaginitive, but basically amounted to what you see in this episode: Dany asking rich people one by one to give her ships. So I guess the writers have added an OMG DRAGONS STOLEN!! plot to spice things up. I'm guessing it was Pyat Pree who has stolen them and Dany will have to rescue them from the House of the Undying.

Shame Irri had to die though. I always thought she was adorable.

Elsewhere.... fucking awesome episode!! Maybe the best episode ever. It really delivered. It seems that things are accelerating faster than the book. It's also diverting from the books more and more, which is actually quite exciting. I don't mind at all.

Ser Rodrik: DidTheon beheaded someone in the book to prove his strength to his men? I feel like I remember it, though it wasn't Rodrik of course. It was dramatic to make it Ser Rodrik, and I don't think this change will cause ripples because he was going to be killed by the end of book 2 anyway. What a harrowing scene... everyone screaming and crying, the rain lashing down, Theon needing a few whacks to get the head off. Brutal.

Arya and Littlefinger in the same room together: tense! It's been a really good idea to make Arya Tywin's cupbearer, so many good scenes between them. Perhaps it was a bit too comical to have Arya ordering Jaqen to do his next kill "Now!!"

The riot: It looked a bit silly to see the mob tear into the High Speton like a pack of zombies -- he was "ripped apart" in the book, but it looks daft on screen (the arm? really?). But of course it was fantastic to see Joffrey pelted with shit and given another slap. It's a shame the crowd weren't calling Cersei a "Brotherfucker". In the book, a character was gangraped -- I guess they gave the gangrape to Sansa so that Sandor could look heroic as fuck.

Ygritte! Not much to say. I like her. How is her name pronounced again?

Tonks naked! Never thought I'd see that. Osha actually has a nude scene in the book, but at a different place and time. I didn't think this particular actress would have a nuddy contract. Not unpleasant at all. Ahem.

Roose Bolton mentions his bastard! And so the plot brings Ramsey to Winterfell.

enjoyed the zombie scene. I have not spoilered this - do we still have to in this thread?

So we can assume that women Rob fancies is indeed communicating to the Lannisters? We only learn this in book 4 don't we?

Anyway another fab episode, I don't remember that business with Arya either from the book nor Tywin chatting so much with her but it's an improvement.

And quite frankly the more changes they make to Danery's story the better, the Qarth part in the book is totally pointless.

And Ser Rodrik scene made me cry. Love the way they start the show with scenes that most shows would end with on some wanky cliff hanger.

I reckon they're just replacing the randomer Robb marries with the volantine nurse (whatever her name was). What with him not being a POV character, in the book he just suddenly turned up with a wife, which would confuse a lot of people.

I seem to recall Theon decimating Winterfell when he took it? Or something along those lines. Arbitrarily killing a whole bunch of people.

yeah in the book Rodrick comes back with an army and Theon kills a bunch of people? Or am I getting confused with the Bastard coming along and killing people? Either way winterfell is in bad times.

Though it does only seem to ever have 30 people living there!

I'm guessing that Finchy will be the one to come up with behead a couple of random kids plot next episode in Reek's absence. Then Asha/Yara appears at some point and calls Theon an idiot for taking Winterfell. Then next season Ramsay will roll up, take Winterfell and cut off Alfie Allen's johnson, Will that happen pre or post Red Wedding?

The dragons were significantly bigger at this point in the books, hard to imagine those three glorified geckos burning the House of the Undying to the ground.

I totally forgot about the johnson removal. Theon in this is coming across a bit more sympathetic than the books, or is that just cause we know what's going to happen to him?

I assume they will split season 3 after the red wedding no? Can't wait for the other thread to explode when that happens.

I really hope they do justice to the Red Wedding. Sometimes they really knock scenes out of the park and then you get something like Renly's death which fell completely flat and was shot with all the flare of a scene from Coronation Street.

I really hope they do justice to the Red Wedding. Sometimes they really knock scenes out of the park and then you get something like Renly's death which fell completely flat and was shot with all the flare of a scene from Coronation Street.

To be fair it has less impact in the books as well. The Red Wedding was a proper shocker.

I totally forgot about the johnson removal. Theon in this is coming across a bit more sympathetic than the books, or is that just cause we know what's going to happen to him?

I assume they will split season 3 after the red wedding no? Can't wait for the other thread to explode when that happens.

You half hope they just end season three with corpses everywhere, scattered all over the hall. No further scenes, perhaps just a close up on Rob's very very very dead corpse to make everyone really clear that he's not coming back...

You half hope they just end season three with corpses everywhere, scattered all over the hall.

Aye then they can start off season four with a close shot of grey wind's eyes with a slow pan out to his head sewed on Rob's neck.

No actually I think they should leave Rob's fate uncertain and then just start off season four like that for maximum shock value

Is it just me or did things really click in this episode that haven't before?

I'm not sure why, I haven't really been able to get 100% into the series before but something has changed in the last episode. Maybe it's because because my memory of the story is more hazy around this point, or maybe they're deviating from the books? If that's what they're doing, I wouldn't mind them straying a bit more, because I enjoyed pretty much every plot line in this episode. Arya's most of all, that scene with Carcetti was great.

I reckon they're just replacing the randomer Robb marries with the volantine nurse (whatever her name was). What with him not being a POV character, in the book he just suddenly turned up with a wife, which would confuse a lot of people.

I seem to recall Theon decimating Winterfell when he took it? Or something along those lines. Arbitrarily killing a whole bunch of people.

Robb's wife in the book is not communicating with the Lannisters; you find out later that her mother was in cahoots with Tywin, and was giving Jeyne moon tea to deprive Robb of an heir. Jaime finds it out and calls the woman something unpleasant, such was her level of dishonour.

As for Winterfell, Theon doesn't do that. Roderik comes back to reclaim Winterfell from Theon's pitiful crew, but is defeated by Ramsey Snow, whom Roderik initially takes for an ally, garbed as he is in House Bolton shizzle. Ramsey then burns the place down because he's a fucking fruitcake.

Ygritte! Not much to say. I like her. How is her name pronounced

It's Ee-grit, as in "Ee by gum I've got grit in me minge."

I'm not sure if I was relieved or disappointed that she didn't say, "You know nothing, Jon Snow."

• Upvote 1

It's Ee-grit, as in "Ee by gum I've got grit in me minge."

I'm not sure if I was relieved or disappointed that she didn't say, "You know nothing, Jon Snow."

I was curious because she pronounced it "ee-grey", then Qorin Halfhand seemed to mock her by pronouncing it "ee-grit".

And I'm hoping she won't say her catchphrase too often, or it'll get cheesy.

So, lots of divergence this episode.

Theon remains a total bellend, can't wait for the bastard Ramsay to get hold if him.

Do we think the reeds will be introduced now? As they've completely missed the stark boys hiding out and meeting the dying maester lewin.

Otherwise how do they split the boys?

The dragons, who has them? The warlocks?

Interesting stuff.

Loved the hound destroying the grapers

Yeah, I'm quite enjoying Theon this season, I think the actor's doing a great job of showing how conflicted the character is. In particular that speech where he was explaining his loyalty to his father over Robb Stark could have come across as slightly flat acting if you don't pick up on the fact that he's stuck in a very uncomfortable position and he has no real courage in his convictions. He's still a cunt for taking Winterfell, but I think he's sympathetic in that he always wanted to be a Stark but never could be, and this is his pathetic idea of how to become one.

I already know the casting of Ramsay will disappoint me. In my head he looks and sounds like Michael Wincott in The Crow, so unless they get a time machine then that ain't happening.

Does the part where the rangers leave Jon all alone to off ygritte happen the same way in the book? It seemed rather unlikely in the show...

Also dany's story is showing it's flaws at the moment. Seems a bit panto and a bit too far removed from everything else.

Ideally I'd like more deviation from the books I think. Trim more fat, include more tywin and arya.

No, in the book Qhorin basically says "Right Jon, I leave her fate in your hands, see you later". He lets her go. Later on he reveals that he did it as a test of Jon's character. She turns back up with Rattleshirt and company later and helps convince them to take in Jon after he shanks Qhorin. There was no Jon volunteering to execute her, daft chase scene or mountainside lapdance.