rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Lorfarius

The Spoiler-Filled Game of Thrones Book Readers Thread (Seriously Spoilers)

so can anyone walk me through what cannot now happen in the show due to what they changed in the books.

Off the top of my head they've entirely excised the "Tansy" plot about Cat's Dad, and massively streamlined Robs wife which will presumably remove the is or isn't she pregnant plot. Though I suppose that they could have Cat pretend that some other girl is her.

Given that Vargo is either out or a minion of the Bolton's I'd guess the Brave Companions are gone. Ser Dontos likely won't feature in Sansa's escape from the Lannisters as they've added Littlefinger actually going and talking to her. I can't think of any way that Shae's altered role as Sansa's handmaiden might affect that plot. Selmy's deception as Arstan Whitebeard is gone, and Strong Belwas isn't going to appear. I'd guess we won't see the battle between the rangers and the wights at the fist of the first men now. Davos' initial incarceration before being allowed to see Stannis has been removed, and the stuff with Melisandre leaving Stannis to find sacrifices is new (though it seems to be replacing the Edric Storm plot).

I'm wondering if Osha and Rickon will leave soon, once we've got to know Jojen and Meera better.

They've skipped over Sam killing killing an Other as well haven't they? Although hopefully they'll just move it around a bit, I'd be really disappointed if we don't get to see Sam the Slayer.

They've skipped over Sam killing killing an Other as well haven't they? Although hopefully they'll just move it around a bit, I'd be really disappointed if we don't get to see Sam the Slayer.

This will happen, but it'll be after the massacre at Craster's. I think that's the order of it in the book, isn't it?

This will happen, but it'll be after the massacre at Craster's. I think that's the order of it in the book, isn't it?

I thought it came before Craster's but it's been a while since I read it. Still as long as it happens it doesn't really matter when.

Sam slays the Other in chapter SAMWELL I, as the fight at Crasters is in SAMWELL II.

A decent theory is that they will write in Gilly having to leave her child to the Others (as we saw in S2), and then Sam can do his Slayer bit while saving the Boy. Which I guess then might also be a pretense for the fight.

He kills two, the one with the dragonglass and then after the thing at Craster's, Small Paul came back as a wight and Sam stuck some coal in his mouth and burned his face off after he nearly got strangled to death.

It was disappointing that they made it so he hadn't been able to send the ravens off. I'm pretty sure he did manage in the books to send one or two. But I suppose they're re-establishing him as a fuck-up before bringing the badassedness.

He pretty much forfilled Reeks role but was just a character the show made up to make the story less complicated.

I don't like how he simply hasn't had any kind of mention or appearance in this season. Makes things very disjointed and I am sure people are wondering where they all went and who this Ramsay bloke is all of a sudden.

It was disappointing that they made it so he hadn't been able to send the ravens off. I'm pretty sure he did manage in the books to send one or two. But I suppose they're re-establishing him as a fuck-up before bringing the badassedness.

They got rid of the whole bit with Chett and iirc that's where Sam managed to send off the ravens.

Actually they don't even have Chett in the series do they?

In the book Sam manages to send a few ravens simply saying 'under attack' but then when he writes the messages talking about the Others, he forgets to attach them to the ravens and sends them off with nothing attached. He's still a fuck-up in the book.

Not a total fuck-up, though. He managed to send ravens off letting Castle Black know they were under attack. It's not like info on the Others was going to be of more help.

I've been rereading DwD (I started rereading the series about a year ago and it's taken me this long to get to DwD. As you can imagine, it took me forever to make it through FfC again) and noticed that the bit where Tywin tells Arya she should say "m'lord" rather than "my lord" is taken from dialogue between Roose Bolton and Theon/Reek.

Brian Blessed to play Lord Manderly. Pls.

EDIT actually that would be hilarious but probably terrible. I actually always saw him as Jim Broadbent.

Blessed for lord tarly?

It may be difficult as they won' know his eventual book fate, but I hope Bron is kept around somehow after book 3 is done.

He pretty much disapears in book 4/5 although I assume we will get to see his killing his new wives father.

Perhaps they can fill the gaps in 4&5 and delay catcjing up with the books by having the further adventures of Tyrion and Bron - which are flashback episodes of them up to stuff (new material) while tyrion was hand/on their way to Kings Landing.

Proper epic stuff this week. Daenarys speaking Valyrian was cool.

Not sure about the handling of the Theon bit. I thought it would have been better to reveal Iwan Rheon's identity rather than leave the audience hanging, confused, like that.

It's a shame how worked up everyone is getting about dragons and slave armies, Danny's story line peaks at this stage for me, all down hill from here.

Extra stuff on Varys was good though, especially given how the last book ended. Great episode though, it was all super fun.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The queen of thorns has always been one of my favourite characters of the novels, but that was just spectacular. A scene stealing performance in an episode packed with awesomeness. Also I actually loved the way they handled Ramsay, sure it might cause TV viewers some confusion now, but I think it might be the case they'll appreciate what's being done on repeat viewings. I'm sure the reveal will hinge on the fact he's Roose's son, it would be giving the game away to reveal his son's allegiances before we find out Roose is a traitor. I suppose they could have always just called him Ramsay Snow, but I think the name Ramsay's already been mentioned by Roose, hasn't it?

This episode was absolutely beautiful too, so many cracking shots. I loved the cave the Brotherhood without Banners were hiding in especially. I cannot wait for next week. I'm guessing we'll probably get the flaming sword fight between Dondarrion and the Dog (what a funny eyepatch) and probably Samwell killing an other? Yes please. Reveal of Tyrion marrying Sansa? Yes please.

I thought that was a really good episode.

The Queen of Thorns stole the show, but it also had some other great bits. Jaime trying to fight a load of guys with one arm, Beric and the Hound, Ramsay toying with Theon.