rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Lorfarius

The Spoiler-Filled Game of Thrones Book Readers Thread (Seriously Spoilers)

I think AFFC and DWD will get condensed into a single season myself - acres of filler that could easily be cut.

And done that way there would be a half decent story across the two books.

I do strongly suspect the wait for book VI is not going to be anything like the last two - whether he finishes the series though is quite another matter.

Anyway lets not get silly here - surely this thread is for book readers commenting on the relationship between the novels and the show - there can't be that many that are only on book 2 and if we can't comment on effects on future events without bloody spoiler tags in here whats the point of the thread in the first place?

Erm... I'm halfway through A Storm of Swords, so if people are going to post unspoilered stuff about the entire series it means I (and other people in a similar situation - I'm sure I'm not the only one) can't participate. Surely it's not too much trouble to put stuff relating to Storm of Swords onwards in spoiler tags?

Just something like...

Dance of Dragons spoilers (not really - it's just an example)

Dance of dragons stuff...

Though, to be fair, if everyone had done this in the other thread, we wouldn't have needed this one anyway. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well there should be wards at winterfell, plus all of the business leading up to the big you know what. I know some of that is book 3 stuff, but they kind of blend into one by the time you've read all 5.

Also when do we expect to see the stuff with the hound if the tickler is already dead?

Well there should be wards at winterfell, plus all of the business leading up to the big you know what. I know some of that is book 3 stuff, but they kind of blend into one by the time you've read all 5.

Also when do we expect to see the stuff with the hound if the tickler is already dead?

Post Book 2 spoilers-

I think with the fight in the Inn with the Hound, they'll just replace the tickler with some generic Lannister guard. They need to stream line characters

One of the problems I have with the way they've moved things round is the timing of Tywin's arrival at Harrenhall is why Arya doesn't use one of her kills on him? I'm pretty sure in the book they where used up before it was he arrived in the book.

No Spoiler tags required in this thread. If you havent read to the end of book five stay out of it! There is absolutly no point in bothering otherwise.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

Haven't they changed the whole wildfire thing? I thought it was all Tyrions idea in the books, Cersei was never that involved with the military preparations was she? Also, where's the big chain he's supposed to be building at this point to catch all the ships?

Erm... I'm halfway through A Storm of Swords, so if people are going to post unspoilered stuff about the entire series it means I (and other people in a similar situation - I'm sure I'm not the only one) can't participate. Surely it's not too much trouble to put stuff relating to Storm of Swords onwards in spoiler tags?

Just something like...

Dance of Dragons spoilers (not really - it's just an example)

Dance of dragons stuff...

Though, to be fair, if everyone had done this in the other thread, we wouldn't have needed this one anyway. :)

Or you could, y'know, just use the other thread with its spoiler tags until such a time as you have read all the books and then start posting in the dedicated thread for people to freely talk about book spoilers. Or is that just crazy talk?

• Upvote 3

Post Book 2 spoilers-

I think with the fight in the Inn with the Hound, they'll just replace the tickler with some generic Lannister guard. They need to stream line characters

One of the problems I have with the way they've moved things round is the timing of Tywin's arrival at Harrenhall is why Arya doesn't use one of her kills on him? I'm pretty sure in the book they where used up before it was he arrived in the book.

I can't remember exactly when Tywin arrives in the book and when he leaves, but I think Arya is focused on people who have wronged her personally. She doesn't have the overview of the story that we have and killing Tywin isn't a priority to her. That said, I'm pretty sure she asks about killing Tywin, or possibly Cersei and Joffrey, and Jaqen tells her that he could do it, but that it could take time - months or even years. So she focuses on realistic goals.

No Spoiler tags required in this thread. If you havent read to the end of book five stay out of it! There is absolutly no point in bothering otherwise.

Agreed. So do we think oona chaplins medic is replacing Jeyne as robbs lady?

I'm trying to remember what happens in 2 rather than 3,

when does Joffrey die and little finger takes Sansa to the eyrie?

Edit - spoiler inserted after fishyfish's post.

Or you could, y'know, just use the other thread with its spoiler tags until such a time as you have read all the books and then start posting in the dedicated thread for people to freely talk about book spoilers. Or is that just crazy talk?

Except in the other thread people are getting upset about even comparing stuff that's happened in the show with how it happens in the books. I don't want to post any spoilers in there, but I would like to be able to discuss differences between the two media. Now it appears you can either not do that at all, or risk being spoiled in here.

Adding a spoiler tag takes seconds. Reading thousands of pages of story is going to take a bit longer. If you've read all the books you can click on spoiler tags without fear, but their presence means that people who're not so far through the series can also participate. Where's the problem in that?

Haven't they changed the whole wildfire thing? I thought it was all Tyrions idea in the books, Cersei was never that involved with the military preparations was she? Also, where's the big chain he's supposed to be building at this point to catch all the ships?

I think it happened in the same way in the books. At least, that line about "now making it for me" seemed familiar. I'm sure they'll get to the boom soon if they're including it in the story, but they might just focus on wildfire instead as he means to victory.

I said this in the other thread as well, but I'm more surprised about the absence of the Reeds than anything else. I was really looking forward to them being introduced and Bran having friends his own age to hang out with and discuss tragic prophecies with. The Freys are missing too, which is understandable since they're not very important characters. But Reek/Ramsay is also nowhere to be seen, and I can't see how they'll conclude the Winterfell story without him.

Agreed. So do we think oona chaplins medic is replacing Jeyne as robbs lady?

I'm trying to remember what happens in 2 rather than 3,

when does Joffrey die and little finger takes Sansa to the eyrie?

You agree so much you immediately use a spoiler tag? :sherlock:

I have a feeling we wont see or hear anything about the chain (possibly some kind of hint about how all the metalworkers are doing something in secret) until the big reveal of just how clever the imp has been!

You agree so much you immediately use a spoiler tag? :sherlock:

Balancing it out against the inevitable crying if I mention something like Jaime getting his hand cut off by the brave companions when they havent featured in the show?

There. Spoilers in the open.

[braces for crying]

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well it's either a free for all in here or not, I was making an example. Spoiler tag are a pain in the arse to post and read on the mobile version and that's how I normally read this place.

I have a feeling we wont see or hear anything about the chain (possibly some kind of hint about how all the metalworkers are doing something in secret) until the big reveal of just how clever the imp has been!

Yeah. I think they'll imply that He is having the matelworkers make weapons, etc, then spring the chain on the audience.

I think it's fare enough to get rid of the two freys, they're not that important. I guess they'll move Meerya and Jolyen to next season maybe they'll meet along the road.

Maybe they talked to GRRM about his future plans and he's told them that he hasn't actually got much planned for those characters so they decided to axe them to avoid the cost of two extra series regular actors on a production that is already struggling to cope with the material,

A Dance with Dragons might be a tedious slog, but it does contain scenes that I wonder how HBO are going to manage to pull off when they could only make the Tourney of the Hand look like a school's Sports Day in a field.

Well it's either a free for all in here or not, I was making an example. Spoiler tag are a pain in the arse to post and read on the mobile version and that's how I normally read this place.

I agree, and if i the concensus is that it's going to be a free for all with no tags then I'll stay out of the topic, but was there any need to post what you did? It had no relevance to anything that's happened in the TV show so far (or if it does, you've made no reference to it) and just looked like you were posting spoilers because you felt like it - your comments about people crying clearly show what you wanted to do it just to cause a stir. I didn't know that one of those things happens, and have now been spoiled for no reason other than you thought you'd prove a point.

Indeed. The hordes in the east will be a challenge, especially conveying the impact of the pale mare. Dany is not getting much screen time so far. They will need to ramp it up a bit.

It will get pretty confusing with all the mercenary troops too.

I have the horrible suspicion this will get cancelled after series 3.

EDIT - to fishy:

Well in that case I do apologise. Just trying to set the precedent. Perhaps the title of the thread should be amended to warn people of I hidden spoilers?

EDIT - to fishy:

Well in that case I do apologise. Just trying to set the precedent. Perhaps the title of the thread should be amended to warn people of I hidden spoilers?

Apology accepted. Send me fifty quid in unmarked notes and we'll call it quits. :)

I'm now staying out of here until I read the rest of the books though. At the rate I read, I'll see you sometime next year...

I suspect they'll just have her throw up a lot. From a plot perspective there's really no difference (barely a difference medically), and somehow it seems better than shitting your guts everywhere.

Crazy good talk!

BTW I can't wait for some wildfire burning people/water/ships shenanigans

Oh and the first melting victim of some dragonfire :D

Have they cast Mance Rayder? I can't find anything on Google, but surely he'd have to be in this season.

If you remember in the books, Jon's last chapter in Clash of Kings is him going off with the wildlings. He doesn't meet Mance until Storm of Swords.

Though there is a note at the start of Storm of Swords saying that some of the events at the start of that book overlap the events at the end of Clash of Kings in time. But I think for dramatic purposes it makes sense to have Jon's embarking on his new journey at the end of the season.

Ah right, CoK and SoS tend to blend together in my head.

I was a bit disappointed in Qhorin Halfhand, in my head he was like an older Westeros version of Jack Bauer and definitely not the manky old git who suddenly appeared on screen without warning.