rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Lorfarius

The Spoiler-Filled Game of Thrones Book Readers Thread (Seriously Spoilers)

Seems to be causing all sorts of problems with people posting spoilers related to the books and possible future episodes. So lets chuck all the talk in here for people who have read through the series and want to discuss it much further.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The final chapter has Ned waking up and it was all just a dream, only to be presented with a letter to tell him King Robert is on his way for a visit!

I just can't believe it ends with sex aliens invading Westeros fucking everybody. What was he thinking.

You bastard! You've spoiled it for me! And even if you say you were making it up, you'll have spoiled me to the fact that sex aliens don't invade Westeros and fuck everybody, and I'll be equally disappointed that one of an infinite number of possible future storylines has been ruined.

What about people that have only read some of the books, do they get another thread?

Agreed. I'm currently on page 342 of book 3. Where's the thread for that discussion?

I'm annoyed that Dany isn't wandering around in a top with one boob hanging out. Of all the things to change from the book. HBO am disappoint.

• Upvote 6

It's a shame this board design doesn't allow for Post #1 of a thread to be stickied at the top of every page of that thread. If it could, post #1 should probably contain some rules.

I'm in favour of of open discussion of the current book that is being made for TV, but spoiler tags for books 3, 4 and 5. This protects people who have not read the whole series yet, and it also keeps discussion focussed on the TV series rather than becoming a general book discussion thread - we already have one of those.

Of course it gets a bit vague. You may want to discuss something the TV show altered which begs a question of: "Now they've changed X, how will Y happen in book 4?" It's tricky, it just needs good sense.

• Upvote 1

I never pictured Quaithe as some sort of bizarre lady-gimp.

I always visualised her mask as wooden version of something like Vega from Street Fighter's mask, not whatever the fuck that was they went with on the last episode.

AkQZ1.gif

And I certainly didn't envision Xaro as a fat Lenny Henry lookalike. Pyat Pree was boss though.

Just make it clear that it's spoilers for all books in the title, that's how every other forum that's operating dual threads is doing it. The people who've read up to Book 3 and then stopped are going to be in the minority.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I never pictured Quaithe as some sort of bizarre lady-gimp.

I couldn't remember Quaithe from the books at all (I just had to look her up online now). To be honest, a lot of Dany's storyline is a blur in my memory because it's filled with the most exotic names and places and cultures, so my imagination gave up and I didn't bother to think what most of those characters looked like at all.

I admit I wasn't thinking of a weird gimp mask. It was an interesting design, but also a bit too bizarre to take seriously. This is where the TV show could falter due to unintentional silliness.

Also while I'm here: Doreah is one of those little characters who finds herself still alive in the TV show (for our benefit) after dying in the Red Waste in the book. But we've lost Rakharo instead, haven't we? Still, I liked the little bit of tension and squabbling between Doreah and Irri, quite charming.

I couldn't remember Quaithe from the books at all (I just had to look her up online now). To be honest, a lot of Dany's storyline is a blur in my memory because it's filled with the most exotic names and places and cultures, so my imagination gave up and I didn't bother to think what most of those characters looked like at all.

I admit I wasn't thinking of a weird gimp mask. It was an interesting design, but also a bit too bizarre to take seriously. This is where the TV show could falter due to unintentional silliness.

While I think it looks a bit rubbish, I do like that the pattern of her mask is similiar to the design of Melisandre's necklace.

• Upvote 1

Whilst I think most of the changes make the book's plot more accessible for TV, I was a bit disappointed by Jaqen H'ghar's first killing. In the book it is all very sinister, the Tickler's dog suddenly turning on him. On the show he sits there looking suspicious near a corpse. As long as they get the third killing right though I'll be happy.

Very much looking forward to

the riots when Myrcella leaves and the attack of Kings Landing though.

Whilst I think most of the changes make the book's plot more accessible for TV, I was a bit disappointed by Jaqen H'ghar's first killing. In the book it is all very sinister, the Tickler's dog suddenly turning on him. On the show he sits there looking suspicious near a corpse. As long as they get the third killing right though I'll be happy.

Very much looking forward to

the riots when Myrcella leaves and the attack of Kings Landing though.

The tickler wasn't killed by Jaqen in the books. Arya's first victim was some guy she overheard bragging about a gangrape he'd been in, can't remember his name.Book 3 spoiler

The tickler was stabbed in the back by Arya when he's fighting the hound at the Crossroads Inn.

If we have to use spoiler tags then this thread is utterly pointless. Ooh great, a thread where you get to use spoiler tags two fifths less. Aces! Would it kill you that much to stick to the main thread until you finish the series?

• Upvote 6

It was in a spoiler tag, meaning it was beyond the scope of Clash of Kings.

Is it really necessary to tag books individually? I for one find it hard to remember which bits happened in which books, especially between FFC and DWD.

It doesn't bother me, I've read the books, and if I hadn't I'm not stupid enough to go clicking on spoilers. Some people are that stupid though, and seemingly need massive amounts of hand holding so I thought it worth highlighting that you were potentially spoilering a book 2 readers pleasure.

This thread should be filled with awesomeness where we discuss what's in series 2 in the context of all the books. No hand holding allowed, anything else is just mucking around.

It's what the thread will end up as anyway...

• Upvote 3

I kinda feel sorry for the non-book readers in the other threads. They have their minds filled with all this awesome speculation of exciting happenings in future and instead they're going to get one more good season and then 20 episodes based on A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons then the series will get cancelled because GRRM will never finish the story.

• Upvote 1

I think AFFC and DWD will get condensed into a single season myself - acres of filler that could easily be cut.

And done that way there would be a half decent story across the two books.

I do strongly suspect the wait for book VI is not going to be anything like the last two - whether he finishes the series though is quite another matter.

Anyway lets not get silly here - surely this thread is for book readers commenting on the relationship between the novels and the show - there can't be that many that are only on book 2 and if we can't comment on effects on future events without bloody spoiler tags in here whats the point of the thread in the first place?

• Upvote 3

I liked a lot of Dance With Dragons. I think the series suffers as a result of many of the storylines winding down by the end of Storm of Swords. Then Gurm decides that we should start being interested in the goings-on in Dorne and the Iron Islands.

I think AFFC and DWD will get condensed into a single season myself - acres of filler that could easily be cut.

And done that way there would be a half decent story across the two books.

I do strongly suspect the wait for book VI is not going to be anything like the last two - whether he finishes the series though is quite another matter.

Anyway lets not get silly here - surely this thread is for book readers commenting on the relationship between the novels and the show - there can't be that many that are only on book 2 and if we can't comment on effects on future events without bloody spoiler tags in here whats the point of the thread in the first place?

Thinking about it, there are some storylines that stopped suddenly relatively early on and will no doubt be continued in Winds of Winter. I'm thinking Brienne/Jaime mostly, but also Davos. So I imagine there could be a season where events from FFC, DWD and WOW all appear together.

Is anyone else wondering where the Freys are? Because, you know - spoilery stuff that will cause tantrums but can't be arsed to do spoiler tags on mobile skin- all that business.

Or is it just me