IGNORED

Day Z, The Road with Zombies

James Ape

Like many others post patch, I was flung back to the coast, still with all my gear, but curiously missing about 19 kills from my kill count. So that epic battle I had the other day pretty much amounted to nothing. As a bonus though my blood level had reset.

I had no idea where I was, and I felt that I was starting the game again due to the changes of how the zombies worked. I was no longer comfortable in my position.

No time to think about that, I had to head inland as I'd already started to see the scourge that inhabit the coastal region.

I walked for a while, discovering a few buildings, but due to the sheer number of zombies around them now, I didn't want to take any chances. I needed to find a safe spot and get comfortable. Did I mention it was dark and starting to rain too?

After winding my way through fields, hearing the occasional growl and gun shot, I came across a road sign. Finally a chance to orientate myself. I worked out I was north east on the map. So if I just started hiking west, I'd get back to the places I knew and then could begin to get back to the scavenging and surviving.

The hike was harsh, rain falling so think and darkness so black I could barely even see my gun. Constantly walking into trees and jumping at shapes popping in through the rain.

After just over an hour the rain cleared and I emerged into a clearing, to find a chopper! I got in and sat there for a while, it didn't work, but it felt nice to sit and pretend. I soon moved on though, who knows if I was the only person to find this thing, there might be others coming back with fuel and repairs to get it running. I'm sure they wouldn't take to seeing me sitting in their whirly bird.

So I continued west for a while longer. Then geographic disaster struck. I hit the end of the map. How? That can't be? I was way too far east to hit the end.

I wandered around for a while and reworked my bearings. I'd started in the south west, not north east at all. I'd gone completely the wrong way.

Feeling totally dejected, I turned around and set off back the way I'd came. Passed the chopper and then turning north. Eventually I reached a road and a few houses. I sat on the hill above surveying the area with my binoculars. Nothing. It didn't feel right. There has to be some undead. I felt almost less easy walking to the houses not seeing undead, than it would be seeing them. I sat a while longer. Still nothing. I start taking a few tentative steps forward, constantly scanning the area the whole time. Sound. Gun shots. Very distant, but they were there. I turned and walked north, the opposite direction to the sounds. I'm still not ready for this.

Up the road I came across another house, I could see about 5 of them. I needed to do it, I needed to relearn how to kill these things so I too aim with my Enfield from a distant tree line. Shot and missed.

They turned towards my direction, I turned into the trees and ran. I was still far away and running quickly, but not quickly enough it seemed. I could hear them gaining on me fast. I stopped, turned, took a breath and began to spend ammo in their direction.

One managed to evade my bullets and earned himself a swipe. But they soon all fell. Seven in total. Seven for a squat little barn.

I raced up the hill to claim my loot. It wasn't much, a few drinks, bandages and a crossbow that I had no room for. I'd really like to go back to the crossbow, especially now, but with only a few shots, I need to gain more confidence and maybe a more powerful handgun.

I walked back into the forest and logged from my unexpected journey.

Much like Roskelld, I'm back at the coast, all my gear intact, the gods have been kind. I make my way towards a building where I can see no less than 20 walkers milling about, time to go dark. I belly crawl my way towards this construction site, an unfinished building, a lingering morbid reminder of this entire island. A walker practically steps on me, but completely oblivious to my state of panic or my existence. I make to to the top floor, realise where I am and that I can see the pub I love so much after the previous nights expedition. In contrast to the lack of shelter or safety this building provides, ammo is plentiful. Slugs and pellets for the winchester are everywhere, even a wire kit. I decide to scout the area.

Bam, my vision blurs grey, a walker has smacked me in the back of the head. I struggle to take him out but in my sheer panic, he takes a winchester slug to the face. The atmosphere changes dramatically. I can hear nothing but screams of the undead, and walkers streaming towards the building from all directions. The armageddon has truly come to this little arsehole island in whatever god forsaken eastern bloc I'm in. I've made my bed, so now it's time to sleep in it. The gunshots, screams and my cursing can surely be heard in the next city. A relentless stream, an unforgiving, snarling, blood thirsty torrent of undead filter into the building. My saving grace being their lack of motor coordination and stairs.

I survive, I have now ended close to 200 walkers relatively unscathed. I'm sure the city is near empty (as are my ammo reserves), so it's time to scavenge. The pub, my old friend, comes up trumps, wire kits, crossbows and ammo, bandages, food and drink. I set the wire kits up at all the entrances, and go to sleep for the night. Only hoping, praying that when I awake, my as yet untested crossbow skills are enough to get me out of this city and back to the safety of the countryside.

Wow. This has to be pretty much the biggest mod i can think of since Counter Strike. The closest i can think for opoularity recently might be garrys mod, but i dont think even that took off quite like this

It's what I keep comparing it too. Like Valve, Bohemia need to get on this to give them another title to bolster their audience. Like Counter Strike, the game uses the same tech, but supports a very different audience. This gives Bohemia the chance to get two birds with one stone for their future titles. Plus there's a fair chance that this might boost the modding scene of their game, letting other people in to craft large open world mods that focus on other ideas beyond the standard war affair of ArmA.

@Forsaken When I started reading your post, I thought that maybe I've been too paranoid. The fact you could get all the way in there without disturbing anyone is impressive.

Then I read the rest of your post. I feel my sitting firmly on the side of caution is what's kept me alive for so long in this game. I probably shouldn't shake up that cart too much.

What's the advantage of setting up wire kits at the entrance and then logging off? Once logged off you aren't part of that server any more, you effectively don't exist any more until you log in again. You can't be eaten when you are logged off.

Right? :unsure:

And those sorts of items don't persist across servers anyway, do they?

The wire kits are more role playing in that situation than anything else. I knew I couldn't make it out of the city with the time I had before a meeting last night. But also I have no idea how long you last on the server (if at all) after log out so I chucked the wire kits (which are useless unless you have a squad and a camp to defend) for piece of mind. Also, I tend to play on UK4 server, the ping is real low and I seem to be able to get on it regularly, so maybe when I respawn I'll be protected!

Roskelld - Yeah I was impressed I got to the building, I thought I was fucked a couple of times, 5/6 zombies around me, but their vision is really limited if you're crawling. It's just whether you have the patience/balls/stupidity to crawl into a city. Must admit I'm loving the huge number of walkers, but I definitely need to team up with people now, lone wolf is going to be a LOT harder from now on.

During my first life I had to take to extreme measures as I'd lost all my equipment and ammo. I crawled almost under the feet of a zombie during daytime.

Now, I feel as though I need to relearn that tactic with their new perception. Plus there seems to be a lot more roamers now, which massively adds to the challenge.

It's amazing really and such a testement to how utterly compeling good game design can be and how it's really easy to overlook the implelemtation of an idea, when the idea itself is great. I really hope this continues to be developed because it feels like something quite special.

I've read it as impling two things. The first that the mod team will get the help and support from the official Arma guys to help with developlment. Secondly that the mod guys will be rewarded financially for helping boost Arma sales. It might just be a token amount or a cut of sales since the mod has been out, but I would have thought some money will exchange hands.

Having typed that all out, there is the possibility that the Arma guys have just bought out the DayZ ip and code and are adding/developing it themselves.

Is anyone else finding this kind of unplayable at night? And due to playing it when I get home from work it's always night. (on Euro servers).

Even with gamma/brightness set to max (which makes it look like shit).

I'm all for realism but I'm struggling, is everyone else lighting flares? playing on US servers?

Is anyone else finding this kind of unplayable at night? And due to playing it when I get home from work it's always night. (on Euro servers).

Even with gamma/brightness set to max (which makes it look like shit).

I'm all for realism but I'm struggling, is everyone else lighting flares? playing on US servers?

us server here. plays much better too. Lag not noticeable...

Low on ammo I had to sprint out of town with well over a dozen Zs in pursuit this evening. I had passed a lake recently and that was the only idea I had for survival so I run off in that direction through a hilly forest. Upon reaching the crest off a hill I found myself faced with a sheer drop on the other side. It was carry on or die, so off I went. As they do when faced with steep inclines or declines my character slowed down when I stepped off the edge, much to my annoyance because I doubted the Zs would do the same. They didn't. It started raining zombies. I was half way down the cliff face at this point and turned to see them attempt it at full speed. It didn't work out for them. A pile of over a dozen zombie corpses at the bottom of the hill, and not a shot fired :)

Well I hope it's not the latter. I don't want the direction of the game to be dictated by commercial interests, not yet (at all).

I wouldnt worty about it, Rocket (lead developer) is already a member of BIS, so its not gonna change all that much.

Im on a pretty epic trek at the moment, ive been alive since sunday morning, and have trekked from Kamenkha, all the way through Cherno, on to Elektro, most of the way up the coast, then northeast to staroye and all points in between. Had a close call in the middle of the forest when i accidentally stumbled upon a ruined castle. At one point i was hiding in a doorway, watching as a whole wave of zombies shuffled past, keeping as quiet as possible, i snuck out on they were past, crept out into the forest and practically shit myself upon realising the surrounding forest had walkers randomly shuffling around in it.

I had a severely close call in one of the smaller towns when i carelessly walked right around a corner into a waiting zed, which led to a chase through the forest with 6 zombies on my tail...my final tally was 13 zombies, lost 2 points of blood, and a fair amount of ammo. At one point on the road, i spotted a survivor called Astor, he didnt see me as i was using the treeline for cover, i went prone and just kept my winchester pointed at him. He was looking around, and spotted me after a minute or two, but i had the drop on him. He did a salute, and backed off down the road.

I headed towards a barn to loot whatever i could, only to enter into a tense staredown with a survivor leavign the barn..its Astor again!..we didnt say anything, just looked at each other, and passed peacefully. Tomorrow begins a new day, on the road from Staroye to wherever the hell i can find some mil grade weapons and ammo..

I spawned today nearby Balota and with nothing to lose i wandered into the airfield.

I was rewarded with an alice pack, food, grenades and most impotantly:

MP5SD and 3 mags.

That's right campers, a silenced SMG.

A friend of mine has been brutalised by the roamers and now dangerously low on health slipping in and out of unconsciousness in a garage on the far side of Chernogorsk. Only one thing for it - i'm going to the hospital in chernogorsk.

I gradually and painstakingly, in pitch black, wending my way through roamers make my way into central chernogorsk. Just as i arrive at the city centre my friend informs me a shambler stumbled over him and tore him apart as he slipped unconscious. I managed to exfiltrate, avoiding the conspicuously placed campfires and hide in the hills for the night. All this without even having to spend a round of my precious SD ammo. I'm appreciating the sneaking side, darkness makes it so easy to avoid the zeds and masks you from unfriendly eyes.

If you want military grade gear, be prepared to constantly raid military outposts for the ammo. I hear there is a military camp in Stary Sobor but deer stands can also provide some heavy calibre equipment:

http://i.imgur.com/tIFsD.jpg Is a large map with deer stand locations. At night it pays to hurl a flare (a long chuck) to distract the miltary zombies which spawn with them. Also remember to check their gear if you kill military zeds as they can sometimes have good ammo and useables (frag grenade anyone)

I notice that since the introduction of the massively increased zombie presence in the new patch the average life expectancy has dropped from over 4 hours to 25 minutes! :D

(or maybe they reset it, I dunno. Either way, it's funny)

They updated the site, so maybe it reset ;)

A tweet from Rocket suggests there was a database error in the life expectancy figure - average life expectancy is 25 minutes now.

One major thing I dislike is if you can't check your gear or pick up items in prone without it automatically changing to crouch. The problem with that is that even when inside a house or barn, out of sight, if there is a zombie on the other side of a wall as soon as you move to crouch they somehow know you are there. It makes looting a zombie infested town really hard, because even though it's relatively easy to get to the loot by staying prone, you immediately fuck things up by changing to crouch.

I assume everyone else experiences too, not just me?

OK my dream game IF i could do ANYTHING.

I cant open doors, use bandages, take painkillers.

Pretty much anything I want to do, I get hurt then bleed to death while trying to get my inventory to do anything :(

I can barely hit zombies or players, or maybe its just lag?

Horrendous so far.

Any pointers appreciated.