Day Z, The Road with Zombies

James Ape

• 3 weeks later...

I want a refund on the Alpha, I'm not even joking.

Dean Hall plans to step down as the lead designer of DayZ: http://t.co/yrjGUQmDmo

DayZ creator Dean "Rocket" Hall plans to step down as lead designer of the massively popular multiplayer survival game. Talking to Eurogamer, Hall explained his desire to leave Bohemia Interactive, and set up a New Zealand studio to work on another multiplayer game.

"I have a specific use, Hall said. "I'm really good at risk-taking and making other people take risks, I've always been good at that in my life. Like you say, maybe I've got the gift of the gab, so I can talk, I can explain something, I can talk people up to the ledge and get them to jump off it.

"Eventually, that's the bad person to have. Eventually, you don't want the guy telling you to go over the top and get through. So at some point I'll be a disaster for the project, at least in a leadership role."

Hall explained that he wasn't originally intending to be around for 2014, but claimed "it would be stupid not to, and it would be unfair to the community." On that note, he said that he would remain with the project as long as he was needed, either as leader or in a more creative role. "I'll always be involved," he stated.

Later in the interview, Hall reveals that he has a number of other multiplayer games he'd like to work on, saying that sees DayZ as a "fundamentally flawed" concept. "It's not the perfect game," he said, "it's not the multiplayer experience, and it never can be, [with] the absolute spark that I want in it."

It took them over a year to get the Alpha released, we're now almost into March and the game is barely getting on its feet(I'm being pretty generous with my assessment there too). I didn't buy the Standalone for a less buggy version of the mod, I bought it for the ideas that Dean had and his vision for a game with dogs, disease spread, plagues, player interaction, social experimentation and survival. None of that will be implemented by the end of the year. No offense to the talents of his team but if I wanted a game made by someone else I've got thousands to choose from that are actually finished titles.

The only thing that made Dayz was Deans vision, we all followed him , put our faith (and money) in the things he said , even after he fucked off mt everest etc.

At after all that he just goes "aww im not into it anymore". It's a dick move.

I seriously can't believe people are throwing a wobbly over this. Well you clearly don't have "thousands of finished games" that offer the same thing, or there wouldn't have been this grassroots support for Day Z, and the amount of "one man auteur" stuff going on in here is weird - gamers always attribute ridiculous amounts of work to the public face of the project. This is just like when Notch stepped down from working on Minecraft - the internet threw a tantrum claiming the game was dead, I want a refund, etc. A year later it was out and it's still getting updated.

They've been working from a design spec that contains all their plans and goals since the start of the alpha, that doesn't go up in flames.

Indeed.

Strat, did you know they have an entire team dedicated to working on the hunting aspect of the game? To make it more interesting than shooting a static cow that doesn't react to several head shots? Doesn't that excite you at least a little bit??

I'll wait till its finished till I have a look.

I'm annoyed, all the way through this I've been saying "it's ok , I like Deans vision" , without him in absolute control of it I don't have that much faith.

The whole reason I liked Dayz , and indeed everyone else was because it was not a "regular game" and because it was one guys baby it COULD be different.

I can't see them making the tough choices now.

We will see of course.

... the amount of "one man auteur" stuff going on in here is weird - gamers always attribute ridiculous amounts of work to the public face of the project. This is just like when Notch stepped down from working on Minecraft - the internet threw a tantrum claiming the game was dead, I want a refund, etc. A year later it was out and it's still getting updated.

They've been working from a design spec that contains all their plans and goals since the start of the alpha, that doesn't go up in flames.

I don't know much about Minecraft but I do know that my favourite parts of DayZ are all Dean's concepts. Yeah, there is a team working on the game but they're under his guidance and as Strat said he made some really tough decisions which made the game better even though it would consistently upset the fan base. I bought the standalone and haven't played it since and wanted to show my support for his hard work and for him to see out his vision for the game. But now we're getting him saying stuff like it's fatally flawed which seems to me like he's lost interest in it and wants out. He just seems to have gotten too high an opinion of himself.

A couple of his tweets.

Newsflash: Man wants to do something else once he is finished what he is doing now, more at 10! :P

I'm not leaving. But I have been saying I want to go home when I'm no longer critical to development

Move along! Nothing to see here!

And what's the actual quote on him saying it's fatally flawed? Surely he's just being a bit realistic?

From the snippet Cheeko posted:

Later in the interview, Hall reveals that he has a number of other multiplayer games he'd like to work on, saying that sees DayZ as a "fundamentally flawed" concept.

Now, to be fair there really isn't much context around that, nor does it explain what he means.

No, I'm saying that they are strange comments to make from someone still working on the project. I can't begrudge the guy for wanting to leave, everyone wants to move on new things eventually, but you don't make comments like that about a product you're still working on. Either the story is misleading and taking his quotes out of context, or he's said some silly things. Either way it's not a particularly positive story.

Yeah, it's just inappropriate, if you're thinking it then just keep it to yourself for the year.

For me it all points to him having lost interest due to the realities of seeing it all through and wanting to go make something new.

Sure there's a talented team around him but you could say the same thing about Call of Duty: Ghosts, but the real brains heading the operation we working on Titan Fall and look how great that's turning out.

I have no problem with him heading off and making a Titan Fall but I wish things had been clearer as I would've saved my money for that.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/post/85919354781/the-challenge-and-saga-of-zombie-pathfinding Devblog posted last week which goes on a bit about zombie path finding and why development has been slow recently.

Then yesterday there was a big update for the experimental branch which includes, hunting, camp fires, random crashed helicopters, tons of new animations (drinking from ponds! picking berries!), tons of new clothes as well as the ability to chop down trees for wood (they seem to be heading towards a RUST/Epoch style gathering system which I guess in turn will eventually involve the whole base building mechanic)

It's getting there guys!

We (the regular DayZ players from here) are getting a pretty established base on a white listed server playing the Epoch mod. Base building has added so much to the game, and has really regenerated my interest in the game, which to be honest had pretty much been reduced to zero after the slow progress of the standalone.

• 3 weeks later...

Big interview here, they're switching engines again.

Rocket: So that is what we have been doing over the last three months. It is one of the reasons that development had seemed like it had slowed. The studio is now about 160 people we had a team building event last weekend. It is kind of crazy to see everyone in one spot. I guess the big news that we’ve been telling here at E3 is that we’re actually moving to a new engine. It is called infusion. So that is going to allow us to do DirectX 10 and 11. It is going to allow us to do dynamic lighting, which means no more flashlights going through walls, proper dynamic shadows, stuff like that. So it really kind of opens a lot of possibilities for us and I think it is going to allow us to deal will a lot of those issues. We had to decide, did we want to do a lot of little short term fixes or did we want to focus on the architecture. Given the success of the early access we felt like we really had to invest in the future.

• 2 months later...

Ironically that pace may end up in the game's favour. We're going to see Sony's equivalent long before then and it may even entirely have run its course a couple of years down the line. If DayZ then appears with deeper mechanics and a lusher game world then Sony could've provided a perfect gateway product for people to move onto it from.

Best case scenario, of course.

I haven't played the Alpha since early this year and I was thinking about playing it again since there has been a few updates but has the zombie glitches been fixed? Mainly zombies walking through buildings to get you even when you are out of the line of sight.