Day Z, The Road with Zombies

James Ape

Bah, I got drawn in again.

Spawned in Elektro. Was looting buildings near the coast, without finding anything, when two fully-kitted-out dudes come running at me telling me to stop. I told them to lick my balls and ran away. They shot at me, but didn't even get close. Feeling invincible, and armed with some sort of small Meccano spanner, I tried to fight two zombies in a house. I got fucking battered.

Respawned at Solnichny. Ran out of a building and straight into another fully-kitted-out dude. He looked at me, and then just ran off into the next building. I carried on in the opposite direction, and saw a guy with an axe. I decided to just head straight to Berezino. On my way out, I heard shots behind me. The axe guy probably started on the gun guy.

On the outskirts of Berezino, I bumped into yet another fully-kitted-out guy. He looked at me for a second and then ran away. Fair enough. Berezino was untouched, so I filled my pockets with food and drink. It took me ages to find a backpack though, so I basically just ate and drank everything I came across. Eventually I found a bag and filled it with supplies, and then headed off into the woods between the town and airfield and logged out.

It was nice.

I'm kinda worried how well the alpha of this has sold. Over one million copies. Rocket is obviously quite smug about it but we'd best hope he has a lot of artistic integrity because, otherwise, what drive is there to finish the game when it sells so well as an unfinished product? Concerned this will affect his already leisurely work ethic.

Has he got a leisurely work ethic?

Perhaps I was foolishly optimistic, but given the perpetual delays of the standalone I'd expected it to release fully realised. Well, maybe some tweaks needed here and there, but mostly complete. Instead we get a visual upgrade (which is admitedly very nice) with everything else being totally barebones, not even as many bloody zombies as before, and a hand-wave of 'yeah, it'll probably be another year for the full version'.

I'm worried that people have decided to reward that with massive sales, as it still being an alpha surprised the hell out of me and closed my wallet like a snare-trap.

I think the huge numbers of sales reflect that it's a concept that people really want and are willing, based on experience or the reputation of the mod, to shell out for.

He's repeatedly iterated that this is the most barebones version, and explicitly stated "don't buy this game if you're expecting something that isn't broken" he's always tried to be really honest and up front about what's happening and where things are going.

Besides, you're talking as if he's an indie solo developer, he works for Bohemia developing and can't just sack off the game development because it's made him a ton of money in presales.

Dayz is amazing when you first play it. The first phase where you are learning the game, lost confused and scared is incredible. You can't get that back. I would wait until they have some of the basic features in at least. Loot / zombie re-spawning / animals / cooking.

That stuff at least should be fairly soon.

Yeah the collision issues with zombies and houses / structures is the one thing that makes it nearly unplayable for me - when it is fixed, and houses can be considered safe (ish- zombies smashing through the doors and windows unless reinforced would be cool) it will in my eyes be a LOT more playable.