Life of Pi - From director Ang Lee

Goose

I saw 1 trailer. It made me almost throw up in the mouth from the sheer wank pretentiousness of it. I will never watch this movie. Or read the book. I hate it soooo much.

I felt the same but...the end result was a lot different to what I expected.

Oh and it doesn't have the Coldplay song in the movie.

Really, those lines are in the book? Really weird for a book/film relying so much on symbolism to blatantly explain away it's reason for existence.

The film isn't too wanky, it's actually pretty funny - laughed more at it than I have at most comedies of recent years. Visuals are trippy as hell too, gorgeous.

Add me in with the crowd who hadn't read the book.

The whole thing was incredible - looked absurdly beautiful and told a surprisingly interesting story under the guise of an adventure. The 3D was very interesting too (I second everyone who says it's the best use they've seen) - I recommend people catch it before it leaves the cinema.

Not long back from seeing it. Decent but underwhelmed.

Watched it on IMAX 3D and really wish I'd watched it in 2D, because the visuals are lovely. However, the usual murkiness 3D brings dulled everything, and if I turned or tilted my head even slightly, the 3D lost focus. Utter rubbish, and the last 3D I'm watching because it completely ruined any sense of immersion.

Will give it another go when we get it at work because I don't doubt some of my disappointment was down to the 3D.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I thought the film was great, the CG was really well done but it shows that no matter how far lifelike rendering has come you still need people to do the animation, and there just aren't enough good animators to really sell it as real for me for a whole film, there were definitely scenes where it totally worked, the section where he's tapping the stick and throwing the food was very well executed.

I'm surprised by these comments though:-

Didn't want to be hit over the head so hard with the god stuff at the end but that's the only slight misstep in an otherwise brilliant movie

That aside, my thoughts on the actual film mirror Kerraig's - could have done with less god stuff, maybe, but overall that was an excellent tale. I thought it was a terrific film.

It's the theme of the entire film and is what makes it so affecting. You find the movie brilliant precisely because of the story that is told and the choice you make as a viewer at the end. Without that context it would just be a weird CG adventure film, instead you get a very though provoking and a subject matter that is very unifying for everyone that watched it, no matter where you're from or what your beliefs.

The way I saw the end was that a religious person might want to believe the story with the animals due to its somewhat more comforting and nicer tale overall. Where as someone who doesn't believe probably wouldn't choose that story and go with the more likely version of events (humans instead of animals) as its not probable and extremely unlikely. A lot like Gods in my opinion.

I may be totally off on that assessment, mind.

I'm a non believer too but I very much enjoyed the film. Visually stunning in places, good story and made you think about it when it finished.