Great Games, Awful Music

I like the intro rap in Trials Evo. It suits the ridiculous tone of the game perfectly. Also, does it change, or am I imagining that? The music in-game can get repetitive though, but it's still alright.

The best awful song of recent times is that "Indestructable" from vanilla Street Fighter IV. Oh man, I miss it so much. It was horrible. Several screens played an instrumental version while you were waiting around as well, which meant you ended up listening to hundreds of hours worth of it.

EDIT: I also hate the character select rap in Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike. I like it a bit now, because I've heard it so much, and it's ridiculous, but it's just so, so awful.

New Super Mario Bros DS

It's bearable, but compared to any other Mario game....

I mean, one of the reasons I didn't even play the Wii version because I knew from clips it was using the same soundtrack mostly.

I knew there was no way I'd be playing Trials Evo with the music on, that's how I was with the first one. That sounds like a bad thing but I'm actually grateful when games have dodgy soundtracks 'cos it gives me an excuse to listen to stuff that I never get around to. Having a Trials session with a pile of stuff to listen to is great.

Bayonetta is undoubtedly one of the best games in years, but I really have had enough of the speed jazz remix of Fly Me to the Moon now.

Slightly related, but not - playing DMC3 and having that same battle theme kick in every two minutes...

I was playing Fez and my sister was in the room. "Do you have any idea how annoying the music is in this game?" she said. "It's not even music, just random chords. It's doing my head in!". To be fair if you just listen to the music she has a point - and it's really melachony too. One of those games where the music definitely only works with the game, not alone. There is one brilliant bit though where

you find the populated ancient village

and some proper music with drums kick in, I wish more of the game had that kind of music...

I was playing Fez and my sister was in the room. "Do you have any idea how annoying the music is in this game?" she said. "It's not even music, just random chords. It's doing my head in!". To be fair if you just listen to the music she has a point - and it's really melachony too. One of those games where the music definitely only works with the game, not alone. There is one brilliant bit though where

you find the populated ancient village

and some proper music with drums kick in, I wish more of the game had that kind of music...

Tell your sister to jump down a well, Fez has amazing music. I've had the soundtrack on when not playing plenty.

New Super Mario Bros DS

It's bearable, but compared to any other Mario game....

I mean, one of the reasons I didn't even play the Wii version because I knew from clips it was using the same soundtrack mostly.

The same with Mario 3D Land. Lush game, awful music - and i love mario's music!

Once in a while one of mario's old tunes will kick in inside my head. This month it was Dire Dire Docks. :)

I thought the most jarring bit of Burnout Paradises' soundtrack were the Burnout 1 and 2 tracks that play, which are these awful sounding instrumental things which needed skipping over in a big block.

Although, as mentioned, anything with EA Trax and their awfully bland American faux-alternative-in-this-really-focus-tested-way music is pretty dire.

F355 Challenge. Complete with DJ intro! :lol:

Crazy Taxi's soundtrack was a right stinker. 2 was somehow even worse.

:( I wouldn't listen to any of their music outside the games, but in context, both games' music works really well. YAH YAH YAH YAH YAH!

I'd have to vote for the original Wipeout.

Yes, I know one of the thing's it's famous for is the soundtrack, but if you're not into um-chit music then you're at a loss.

I used to play it with the music turned off.

Sorry sad.png

Sorry, I disagree. Even if you're not into the music I don't think you can call it awful - it's one of the 1st ever games to use a contemporary soundtrack (whether you like the music or not). In fact you could point to it being one of the main factors that opened up gaming to the mainstream, so to criticise it seems unfair when it is responsible for so much. Not an attack on your music tastes at all, but it could arguably called a landmark game precisely because of its soundtrack.

All driving and skateboarding games.

Thrasher Skate & Destroy (classic hip hop again & again) & Driver SF ( an eclectic mix of floor stompers and cruising soul) say otherwise. You're pretty spot on for the rest of those genres though.

I've now taken to switching the music off in new driving games before even giving it a chance. I'm old though so any new post 1995 music is usually not my bag.

I've only booted up Trials a half dozen times but yeah the rap at the start does my head in too. Is it still Rake Yohn & other CKY guys providing the audio does anyone know ?