IGNORED

John Hillcoat's 'Lawless'

lordcookie

John Hillcoat (The Road and The Proposition) is a great filmmaker so it is always interesting to see what he is making next. That next film comes in the form of Lawless an American bootlegging film starring Tom Hardy and Shia LaBeouf. Most of the pre-publicity for the film was about their supposed behind the scenes punch-up but we finally have a trailer so can actually talk about the film.

Synopsis: LAWLESS is the true story of the infamous Bondurant Brothers: bootlegging siblings who made a run for the American Dream in Prohibition-era Virginia. In this epic gangster tale, inspired by true-life tales of author Matt Bondurant’s family in his novel “The Wettest County in the World”, the loyalty of three brothers is put to the test against the backdrop of the nation’s most notorious crime wave.

The film also co-stars Jessica Chastain, Guy Pearce, Mia Wasikowska and Gary Oldman.

A great cast, great director, interesting story and great setting should, hopefully, make for a great film. The trailer certainly looks promising enough.

• 4 weeks later...

Guy Pearce's little machine gun line in that first trailer totally reminded me of Martin Scorsese sat in Travis Bickle's cab.

Looking forward to this - trailers don't tend to give much of a flavour of the actual finished product with Hillcoat so I'm sure it'll be a bit more of a slow burner than it looks at the moment.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This Means War aside, Hardy can do no wrong in my eyes.

Hell, he was the best thing in that POS.

Big fan of Star Trek Nemesis? ;)

Looking forward to seeing this. But I'm broke and so probably won't as there are 4 films I want to go see this month. Anyone want to take me? If it helps pretend I'm begging for hockey gear.

Poor Shia. He's trying really bloody hard to break out this reputation he's had forced on him by being mates with Spielberg and subsequently miscast in tons of big budget actioners.

He's even got his lad out for an overrated Icelandic art pop band and sent videos of him porking his missus to an overrated Danish art pop film maker. Maybe when he's had it up the chutney from an overrated Faroese art pop painter Chadruharazzeb will give him a chance.

I saw this today. It had some great elements to it. Hardy was amazing has expected and Pearce was a great (if over-the-top) foil. I find LeBouf very unwatchable though, and kept wishing someone like Casey Affleck was in it instead....Lebouf doesn't really have the stuff for this film, it was like he was trying to act well but doesn't really know how. :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...