IGNORED

Games with awesome little touches

Solid SOAP

Forgetting quality gameplay, music, story, etc, what games have you played that just stuck out to you with having an awesome attention to detail? Or, rather, just an awesome amount of small, minute things that had no lasting effect on the way the game played or stood out, but you remember fondly just for being charming?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXeL3pLs91A

They did not need to put this into the game at all, nor did they need there to be a button to call for Mario. These little details might seem like they really are no big deal, but waltzing around the mansion, listening to Luigi's whistles and hums, occasionally pressing A just for the sake of it so Luigi can call out to his brother, these little things were genuinely defining experiences for me when I remember what made this game memorable.

There's been dozens of these topics in retro but I'd love to see some appreciation of the new stuff.

For me I was blown away by Xenoblade Chronicles (and previously Final Fantasy 12 for the same thing.) Huge vistas are impressive enough but all the little touches bring it alive, the birds flying overhead, the changing of the light, the vegetation whipping around during storms, the fall of meteors at night. It just felt so alive.

The music that slowly fades in on Red Dead Redemption on the road to Mexico.

When you first step outside to the invasion of San Francisco on Resistance 2.

The camera pan on Uncharted 2 in the caves that reveals an eerie shadow....

Speaking of mgs2; the way you could see the rain pattering off you as you ran round the boat at the start, and how you left soggy footprints and drips when you went inside. Something so simple, yet I've never seen another game before or since go to that length.

MGS2 was packed - loved shooting the whiskey glass off the bar and watching the ice cubes melt - at different speeds depending on where they fell !

Half Life 2 has so many little moments that even after god knows how many play throughs I still find new stuff. Absolutely nothing that needed to be there, but just add to the world in buckets. It's one of the reasons it remains my favourite game even now.

Amazing.

Mario 64's Jolly Roger Bay, when you go underwater and the music subtly changes. :wub:

Also, when you play YMCA on Elite Beat Agents for the first time thinking "wouldn't it be cool if they actually did the dance?"

I love it when games throw little references to other games and pop-culture. Nier for example:

Emil's mansion is laid out like and plays with the perspective from Resident Evil. Also, when you help the young king get the wooden mask and it does a little play on the Zelda music with the King holding up the mask in the same way that Link does when he finds treasure.

Also, from one of the Ace Attourney games: "No Maya, this is SPARDA."

Halo CE is full of 'em. Besides the obvious AI stuff there's things like the ammo counter on assault rifles lying around on the battlefield showing the exact amount of available bullets when zooming in on it with a sniper, the delayed sound of a rocket exploding at a far distance, bubbles coming out of the barrel of your gun when going under water, the frag and plasma grenades bouncing differently on the same surface and coming to a near-immediate stop when thrown into snow, etc.

Mario 64's Jolly Roger Bay, when you go underwater and the music subtly changes. :wub:

Probably my absolute favourite bit of music in any game ever. Pathetic as it may seem, but I can actually feel myself getting a little bit teary thinking about it. Just takes me right back to my 15th birthday. :wub: , indeed!

Always love little changes in music according to changes in the environment. I love how in SSX when you're a distance from the ground, the music sort of fades out before crashing back in as you land. See also Wipeout HD where it gets all echo-y in a tunnel (even when you're using your own tracks).

Saints Row 2 - under the right conditions, when 'Take on Me' comes on the ingame radio your character will sing along. And each different voice actor you can choose gives a different performance! No reason for that to happen, but it's just kinda nice.

The trick was repeated in Saints Row the Third with '"What I Got" by Sublime, except now your homie Pierce will sing along too.