Super Mario Wii-U - to be revealed at E3!

Mr. Gerbik

It's not minor at all. It gives coherency to the game and having visual representations of secret routes is amazing. I don't understand why Nintendo don't make them any more.

To eliminate anything which could be perceived as over fussy or complex is my guess. 3D Land is even simpler again.

To eliminate anything which could be perceived as over fussy or complex is my guess. 3D Land is even simpler again.

Unfortunately, I genuinely think this was it. If you didn't happen to hit the right hint boxes, you wouldn't have even known about the red dots having different exits iirc. Let alone the forest level which put you in a continual loop until you found the one particular (secret) exit.

Personally, I think they could do with a difficulty setting on Mario's these days, especially after playing Fez recently, I realise I like a bit more thought in my platformers. I wouldn't want Mario to attempt to ape Fez but things that it has already done (like the secret exits, star road etc etc) would be more than welcome if they came back, even if it was only an option for hard mode or whatever.

It's not like Nintendo shy away from difficulty these days but they really like the main part of the game to be fairly easy so most people actually see all the levels which I'm pretty sure didn't happen with SMW.

Unfortunately, I genuinely think this was it. If you didn't happen to hit the right hint boxes, you wouldn't have even known about the red dots having different exits iirc. Let alone the forest level which put you in a continual loop until you found the one particular (secret) exit.

This right here is the reason why SMW is the lesser 2D Mario then SMB3. Seriously, the forest level itself isn't one of my favorite level but at that point I always quite World.

Still a great game mind, But i'd rather take the platforming difficulty of 3 rather than something that stops the flow of the game like that.

Super Mario World converted me to Nintendo instantly. It was like doing my first E - no in between phase just pure joy. Before that I was a Megadrive fanboy having bought a Japanese import model a couple of years earlier. I actually bought a SNES for Super R-Type believe it or not and thought SMW looked a bit basic. How wrong I was. Of course then I discovered Super Tennis, F Zero, and Zelda III too. Happy days.

I played SMB3 after SMW, when it was part of the Mario All Stars compilation. I remember really enjoying it but I don't think anything could ever match the first time I played SMW.

Of course from there the next one was Mario 64 which changed everything again.

Super Mario 3D Land is worth your time but it feels at times like a Mario theme park - a game featuring Mario rather than a true original. Don't let that out you off though I played it solidly for a week when I got it ignoring pretty much every other game.

Super Mario 3D Land is worth your time but it feels at times like a Mario theme park - a game featuring Mario rather than a true original.

Really? I'm not sure I understand that at all. To my mind it's one of the great games of the last 5 years, and very much a Mario game. It's so pure and focused. I love even just watching the speed run videos online, let alone playing the game. It's much more of a 'Mario' game than either of the NSMB games in my mind.

Although i had played previous mario games before I got my snes and mario all stars (and a seperate mario world) they were only for a few mins here and there. I actually think i played all of mario all stars before attempting world.

I always did prefer world though over mario 3. Don't get me wrong, i really enjoyed 3 but mario world just had more puzzles and i loved the addition of Yoshi.

Really? I'm not sure I understand that at all. To my mind it's one of the great games of the last 5 years, and very much a Mario game. It's so pure and focused. I love even just watching the speed run videos online, let alone playing the game. It's much more of a 'Mario' game than either of the NSMB games in my mind.

It's immense fun whilst it lasts, but it lacks the inventiveness of the earlier 2D games. It's only been a couple of months since I completed it but I have no urge to return at the moment, and I don't remember any cool secret bits, or anything as gratifying as Super Mario Galaxy's insane gravity shifts. It feels like a best of, shorn of its rough interesting edges into something more sanitised. It's more NSMB in that sense.

But I'd still rather play it than any other platformers around at the moment.

I wouldn't mind another 2D Mario, so long as they actually put the love and care into it that they do the 3D games. No more of this NSMB stuff. I loved them for what they were, an homage to the classic games with a few new ideas, but the two games are all too similar, and the demo for NSMBMii literally looked like the EXACT same game as the Wii version, but with Miis. Miyamoto is saying they're "revealing" this new game, NSMBMii was already shown, I'm assuming that this is either a completely different game or a game based on the concepts of NSMBMii with higher production values.

I'm hoping, at least. If Nintendo does "oh yeah, here's NSMBMii again" as the big unveiling I will puke.

I'm hoping, at least. If Nintendo does "oh yeah, here's NSMBMii again" as the big unveiling I will puke.

Personally I think Nintendo's next E3 will be fantastic. They are kinda forced to show up with a great number of titles to A. gather interest for the new Wii and B. keep the momentum in the 3DS sales. I assume we'll be getting at least a new Zelda title (for the 3DS probably) and a new Mario title (maybe even two). But yeah, I will be disppointed if the new Mario ends up being just another NSMB. Which it won't. At least not one of them.

Personally I think Nintendo's next E3 will be fantastic. They are kinda forced to show up with a great number of titles to A. gather interest for the new Wii and B. keep the momentum in the 3DS sales. I assume we'll be getting at least a new Zelda title (for the 3DS probably) and a new Mario title (maybe even two). But yeah, I will be disppointed if the new Mario ends up being just another NSMB. Which it won't. At least not one of them.

Frankly, revealing that the next big Mario game was NSMBMii all along, with little to no differences in graphics, level design, etc, would just not be a good move on Nintendo's part. They really need to sell this console as something you need to buy to get all the biggest, new Nintendo games, with the best graphics and easy to-pick-up experiences that anyone can enjoy. Showing off Pikmin 3, which casuals won't care about, and NSMBMii, which casuals will assume "Oh hey, I have this on the Wii already", won't garner a lot of attention at E3. They need to hit home, and hit home hard. Whatever this new Mario game is, I don't want to get my expectations too high, but if Nintendo are to sell a console they simply can't repackage the NSMB brand again and call it a day. Something new must be done.

Whatever this new Mario game is, I don't want to get my expectations too high, but if Nintendo are to sell a console they simply can't repackage the NSMB brand again and call it a day. Something new must be done.

Playing a bit of the devil's advocate here.

But they needed to do that very same thing when launching the 3DS, and all they had to show for that was Pilotwings Resort (enjoyable but short), Nintendogs and Steel Diver (which should've been an eShop title). They only fixed that mistake with a huge pricedrop and the launch of a great Mario title. What I want to say is that Nintendo's not beyond fucking up a console's launch. They only did it once imo, but I wouldn't put a NSMB Mii launch game completely in the realm of improbabilities.

Where do people get these psychological insights into the buying habits of 'casuals'? I'm pretty sure most people know how to differentiate a sequel from an original.

When everyone and their mum has played the NSMB games (The two games combined sold over 60 million copies), I'm pretty sure somewhere down the line someone is going to realize "Wait... this looks EXACTLY the same as the last game!". That's just me though, maybe I'm wrong. The world does like them some Mario.

When everyone and their mum has played the NSMB games (The two games combined sold over 60 million copies), I'm pretty sure somewhere down the line someone is going to realize "Wait... this looks EXACTLY the same as the last game!". That's just me though, maybe I'm wrong. The world does like them some Mario.

A little bit lower. Try over 50 Million and you would be right. The DS version is close to 30 million sold units wit a little bit over 28 million sold and the Wii version has sold a little bit over 25 million.

Still a lot of sold software.

Another Mario Game, Although I love it but I don't understand why they do not make something new.

It's not that hard to understand if you look at the sales figures. The 2D Mario games sell crazy amounts.

And they do make new games all the time.

It's not that hard to understand if you look at the sales figures. The 2D Mario games sell crazy amounts.

In case of the 2D side-scrollers I'd add that those also sell an incredible amount of hardware when a new one launches. The DS didn't really start selling in America when the Lite launched with NSMB. NSMBWii rocketed Wii to an all-time sales high in 2009 as well.

No wonder Nintendo is looking towards to 2D ones more and more.