Is it safe to say that this generation held some of Mario's finest titles?

Solid SOAP

When people think of Mario's finest and most popular titles, it's easy to assume that the games which would pop in their head would either be Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario 64, or practically big platformer starring the plumber released before the Gamecube's unveiling. However, after getting two amazing 3D platformers which revolutionized the format with the Galaxy series, a great homage to the classic titles via New Super Mario Bros. Wii, as well other memorable titles such as Super Paper Mario, I feel that the Wii houses the franchise's best titles and overall is the most consistent in quality than any other Nintendo console before it.

Frankly, I'm surprised we got so much plumber love this time around. It seems that ever since the SNES, there would be one "real" Mario title per console, with a bunch of spin-offs featuring either different characters or different genres released soon after said title. The Wii is the first console since the NES to feature multiple Mario platformers, and in my opinion they're some of, if not the franchise's best games in terms of gameplay, visuals, music, etc. The Galaxy games a lone have such a new and original atmosphere for the series, and manage to not only bring it back to its roots a bit with more linear design, but add in a ton of original and fun ideas into the mix as well.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii, on the other hand, has made the series a more house-hold name than ever, selling over 30-million copies and bringing the whole family together to play at once with 4-player co-op. The emphasis on multiplayer basically was made standard for all 2D platformers released after, as seen in Donkey Kong Country Returns, Rayman Origins, and even Sonic 4: Episode II. The level design in NSMBWii is impeccable, rivalling the classic trilogy even. While I personally prefer Nintendo's efforts with Donkey Kong on the 2D front, as a whole the Mario franchise has really made a huge turn-around after so-so quality titles on the Gamecube, as well as the bizarre absence of platformers in general after the release of Super Mario World. It's great to see Mario back in full force on the Wii. Anyone else agree?

Actually, I find it hard to agree not because of the titles in the current gen, but rather the general form of the Mario games in the main generations that he's been a part of (NES/SNES/N64/Cube/Wii) - every single one has a killer title, among the best in its generation (provided you don't really dislike Mario). So I suppose in my case, I just think this gen has been consistent with previous ones.

I agree with Asura. Also, the SNES had two classic brilliant Mario platformers (World and Yoshi's Island) and I would argue that the Wii also has two: Galaxy 1 and 2, which means that the Wii is a return to form for Mario platforming goodness after the GC. NSMB Wii is a marmite game though, I knew some people really liked it but it surprises me that anyone actually favourably compares it to SMB1/3/World. IMHO it comes nowhere near those games, especially not in terms of level design.

This generation has some great Mario games, but even with Galaxy 1+2 I don't think it beats the NES or SNES offerings. Unless we're chucking 3D land in there too, in which case it might come closer to the NES for me, but the SNES had World and Yoshi's Island and, if you'd count it, Mario All Stars. To a much lesser extent Mario RPG as well (Paper Mario 2 was probably my favourite game featuring Mario on the Gamecube, and the N64 has two of my favourite games ever in Mario 64 and the original Paper Mario).

Uh, yeah. I dunno. Mario's been pretty consistently amazing, but there was a definite lull during the gamecube years. I'm pretty glad things have turned back around to the point where getting a new 2D Mario platformer seems like a proper, feasable thing.

Oh, one thing: NSMB Wii's level design 'impeccable'? Really?

Oh, I don't think I really answered the topic question. Yes, yes I do think it's safe to say this generation held some of Mario's finest titles.

Galaxy 1 and 2 are a couple of amazing games. I think it would be safe to say they're some of Mario's finest titles with just those two. So far Mario Party 9 is one of my favourite Mario Party games as well, if that counts for anything. Super Paper Mario kinda went away from the RPG aspect a bit in favour of being a bit more platform-puzzley... but it didn't really satisfy in any of those directions. New Super Mario Bros Wii is a brilliantly novel and perfectly frustrating multiplayer game, but crushingly dull alone. Mario Sports mix was utterly dreadful. Mario Kart Wii was as good as you'd expect, but not much more. I didn't play Mario Strikers Charged, but it was based on that Sega Soccer Slam, so I can't imagine it being awful. Didn't really play the Olympics games. Uh... what else was there? Maybe this gen isn't too great after all.

Still; the Galaxy games really do make up for it. And Super Mario 3D land, if we can count that.

The first Mario Galaxy game was truly amazing, the second one less so - it was a good game, but for me it lacked the wonder and surprise of the first as it felt more like an expansion pack than a new game.

Super Mario 3D Land is also brilliant and probably the best handheld Mario ever.

The New Super Mario Bros games were OK but nothing ground breaking and the Super Paper Mario game on the Wii was pish compared to the older Paper Mario titles.

So all in all not too bad, but I think in time only Mario Galaxy will be making the canon of true epic greatness, maybe with Super Mario 3D Land as the portable pinnacle of Mario gaming.

I still prefer Sunshine to the Galaxies, I mean it had some terrible moments but the core gameplay mechanics were really fun and gave you much more options when exploring. Galaxies felt much more linear, had a lot of toys but didn't really let you do anything with them other then what you were supposed to. Plus the platforming took a back seat.

I still prefer Sunshine to the Galaxies, I mean it had some terrible moments but the core gameplay mechanics were really fun and gave you much more options when exploring. Galaxies felt much more linear, had a lot of toys but didn't really let you do anything with them other then what you were supposed to. Plus the platforming took a back seat.

how is it even possible to thing that way?

I definitely don't think Mario was as fun to control in terms of running around and jumping in Galaxy as he was in 64 and Sunshine, but the game more than made up for it in its wealth of ideas and the all the absolute lovliness of it all.

In Mario 64 I could just run around in circles in the Castle gardens; wall jumping and diving and triple jumping and backflipping.. Then Sunshine had that brilliant water-gliding belly slide fun. And boost-running accross water, which is always one of my favourite things. Like some sort of hyper-Jesus. I just kinda wish the Water pack was either unlimited, or had great capacity. It added some fun tools and moves, but managing it added just a bit of challenge, while losing a fair bit of fun.

The main things that let Sunshine down for me were the level designs not being as lovely and unique as Mario 64, an odd, sometimes cumbersome camera and odd invisible walls here and there which just seemed out of place. Oh, and the water-soluble Yoshi. :(

I don't even remember if I have a point. I liked Ice Skating in Galaxy. I wish there was a whole lot more of it.

Yeah, that was amazing. I would have been very happy to play an entire game build around the ice skating. Freezing and wall jumping up twin waterfalls from floating islands? Oh man.

I think the main thing I didn't enjoy about Galaxy's feel (other than the hilarious number of accidental wall jumps I did when trying to jump up to a ledge) is that it walls all rather sedate and plodding when you were on foot; there was no real way to thrust Mario forward with some momentum, like the wall jump or bellyflop dive, or even the triple jump? It wasn't really what the game was about, but I really missed the long jump in particular. The Spin Jump is something I really didn't like. It served it's purpose in not punishing people too much for not judging a jump in a 3D space properly first time, but it slowed the pace down further than a standard quick double jump would have. Plus you had to shake the Wii remote to do it, when I would have preffered just tapping A again.

I can't believe I'm being negative about Mario Galaxy. It's still pretty much one of my favourite games ever. There are just too many good Mario games.

The triple jump is nowhere near as good as in 64 though, nor is the long jump. Both seem to steal your momentum rather than adding to it. As well as the totally broken backflip. :( It's just about the only criticism I have of the whole game.

No game has ever controlled as well as Mario 64.

In fact - The 3DS is host to two of the best ever Mario titles in 3D land and Mario Kart.

I prefer wall jumps in SMG - I found them harder to bust in 64.

Yeah, the fact they were so easy in SMG is one of the reasons I didn't like them. I often did them accidentally. Plus in Mario 64 I felt more like they were a continuation of my momentum, whereas in galaxy you could just jump straight up from the bottom of a wall and do one.

I don't think Mario 3D land "Isn't getting the recognition it deserves" though; everyone in the thread is always gushing about how great it is, and didn't it sell really well too? It's a brilliant game. Needs more frog suit though.

Mario is excellent.

I am 29 years old.

Yeah, the fact they were so easy in SMG is one of the reasons I didn't like them. I often did them accidentally. Plus in Mario 64 I felt more like they were a continuation of my momentum, whereas in galaxy you could just jump straight up from the bottom of a wall and do one.

The other thing I struggled to come to terms with in SMG was the little spin you could do to get a kind of mini-double-jump. It felt a little like cheating in the same way the tanooki suit kind of feels like cheating in the first half of 3D Land (where the platforming become trivially easy if you have that extra helping hand - once the levels get harder it's not such an issue).

But yes, these are tiny things about games that are still better than most other similar games.

I've played every mario platformer. NSMB is my favourite, followed by Galaxy 1 (I found 2 too hard because of the uncontrollable yoshi sections).

Totally agree, we've had loads of Mario love this gen, Nintendo finally realised where their strengths lie. Let's not forget DK Returns on the Wii either, one of my fave platformers of all time! Rock solid tho.