Derek - New Channel 4 Comedy from Ricky Gervais

lordcookie

Gervais is pretty much the worst thing in this. Apart from the drunk guy, forgot his name.

Also agree that I would not really call it a comedy. There is the odd laugh in there but they are far from the best bits. While heavy handed I think the sentimental moments are the best, such as Karl's little rant at the end of episode one and Victoria's (also heavy handed admittedly) turnaround in episode 2.

Yes it lays it on think but I'm loving it. It's not really a comedy at all. I think it's because I had 2 grandparents who did the care home thing so the show really gets under my skin. If it as a show it makes even 1 person visit their parent/grandparent an extra time or someone volunteers to work a bit in a care home then I'd say the show has more than justified its existence.

I'm really enjoying this and am surprised at how well they've managed to have an autistic character without him being there to point and laugh at, wish Gervais would cut out the constant gurning though as its hard to dissociatie it with him and his previous jokes targeting people.

I'm actually surprised at how much I'm liking this. It's not fantastic, but it's enjoyable now I'm starting to get used to it and I like the characters. I resisted at first as I was expecting something else but now I'm starting to enjoy it for what it is. The problems I have with it are Ricky's performance. It's not very convincing. Too much gurning and it can be distracting although sometimes he does get it right. I don't understand the inclusion of the Kev character. Why would a sexual pervert who constantly drinks throughout the day and makes inappropriate comments be allowed anywhere near that place. I know it's been said before, but it doesn't make sense to me. I wouldn't mind as much if I thought his comments were funny, but I don't think the show is any better for having him in it.

The comic relief should definitely come from Karl's character. He is clearly the best thing in it. His rant at the daughter that was after her mum's ring was brilliant. Yes it was what you as the audience was hoping for, it's very manipulative in that way, but it still worked in terms of pay off so I can forgive it for that.

I'll keep watching :)

I could understand Kev as a regular cameo; wanting to hang out there with his "mates" (especially with the TV cameras about) and thus turning up uninvited everyday , but as you say he should be getting kicked out sharpish instead of being tolerated as if he has every right to be there and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

I think it's just tipped over to being too sentimental for my liking. Everything's too painted out for you, every week we get introduced to a new one note character for Hannah to interact with while Derek learns a life lesson to sad music. I really like bits of it but when we hit Coldplay this week I had to turn off. It's just not well written enough to be able to carry that level of sentiment.

I think it's just tipped over to being too sentimental for my liking. Everything's too painted out for you, every week we get introduced to a new one note character for Hannah to interact with while Derek learns a life lesson to sad music. I really like bits of it but when we hit Coldplay this week I had to turn off. It's just not well written enough to be able to carry that level of sentiment.

I know what you mean but i'm trying to step back from over analysing it and just taking it at face value. I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more that way.

The only think that's eating away at me is how obvious Hannah is becoming "Sure, i could go to the only birthday party anyone has ever put together for me but i need to be here cleaning toilets, what you going to do?"

I hope they don't ruin her.

Yeah EVERY week you get 'Oh that Derek, so kind! so sweet! so lovely and gentle!' and 'That Hanna, so hard working!! cares so much!!'. It kind of got to me initially because we could tell that without them actually pointing it out. But as Elmo says, if you just go with it then it's still enjoyable. Looking forward to the final 2 episodes, didn't feel that way with Life's so short so at least Gervais seems to be going in the right direction again.

Yeah this bit got to me as well :lol:

At least it was midway through the episode and not at the end.

I'm still enjoying it, but it's constantly on the edge for me. I love the idea of it all. And I think it's been done with a lot of care and attention. But I think it could have been wonderful as a three-parter, with parts 1 and 2 very bleak with Pilkington adding black humour relief, and part 3 ramping up the sentimentality.