Major League Baseball

I don't disagree in principle but most of them have moved on to other clubs.

I read (on The Ringer I think) that part of the punishment was aimed at changing the Astros management culture. One of their assistant GMs was caught yelling directly at female journalists in support of a player who had been suspended for domestic violence. The culture was "win at all costs" and organised sign stealing and signing domestic abusers was part of that mentality.

I hadn't read that reasoning but it is a fair way to do it. The draft doesn't seem as important in MLB compared to other US sports when draft picks are usually send down to AA or AAA for a few years before even getting a chance at the major league and with MLB being a closed shop there's only so much they can do. Cora must be fearing the worst at this point if he's been labelled as the ringleader.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The 60 game season has started. The Red Sox have already lost a series to the Orioles but at least JBJ has started hot with the bat, he wouldn't get away with one of his cold streaks in a season this short. As a casual TV viewer the lack of crowds isn't having that much impact to me and honestly the removal of the US military fetishism at the stadiums is a plus point for me. Only three games in and the Marlins have already had an outbreak of COVID-19 with one player and two coaches testing positve resulting in two games being postponed today. Hopefully they can keep it contained otherwise it's unlikely they'll even manage to complete a 60 game regular season. 

EDIT Turns out it was a lot more than three

Yikes. At least its not an NFL team who have huge numbers of players and support staff in close proximity. Though saying that MLB teams must have a good amount of staff too.

MLB is still traveling around the country.  To the extent that the Toronto Blue Jays have to play across the border in Buffalo because the Canadian government won't let them and their opponents travel.

The knock on effects on athletes are only now being seen and has to make the MLB more cautious after the outbreak in Florida. This is a healthy athlete who now has a heart problem caused by the virus.

• 2 months later...