Legend of Grimrock - new old school dungeon crawler RPG!

Mr. Gerbik

Considering how well games are doing on Kickstarter without even having anything except a few concept videos how can you be complaining about a lack of demo for a cheap indie game with such polish?

Odds are people would just play the demo, get their nostalgic fill (or get pissed at the initial frustrations of such a game) and not buy the full game. They'd be stupid to make a demo. Making a good demo that would sell the game, rather than just the first few easy levels, would be extra work with little return.

I wasn't really too bothered about this in the run up to launch but after reading all of the gushing praise from you lot I just couldn't help myself but spend the £8.36 by buying it from the developers directly.

I'm meant to be saving money you bunch of bastards :quote:

Who the fuck decided this sub-genre was dead?

I guess when Ultima Underworld proved that first-person dungeon-crawling could be done in free movement and gamers started to expect that kind of freedom thanks to the rise of the FPS, technology just left this kind of thing behind. Also, I think dungeon crawling at a pace like this is a pretty niche interest, and most gamers prefer something more dynamic and action-packed, and with more features crammed in.

Spare a thought for the motion-sickness afflicted gamers (myself included) who have been denied years of dungeon crawling because of this. Grimrock is like mana from heaven, and I can only hope both the developers and the community make full use of the upcoming editor and all the tools at their disposal to keep cranking out adventures in this engine.

I love this for the same reasons I love Dungeon Master; its atmosphere-drenched deliberate pace, the simplicity and immediacy of the interface, the relatively modest collection of stats and abilities. It's focused down to a few core things that are totally compelling. There's no fat.

Speaking of... I was checking out the Dungeon Master forums last night, and I realised as I read back that Grimrock sort of sprang out of the fan remakes scene of that community, first as a one-man hobby effort, renamed and retooled along the way until ultimately becoming the full-time project of four guys.

Hmmm, I just finished level 2 and quit last night with no sign of a mortar n pestle. Will go back up the stairs when I load up this eve (feels wrong playing this in the daytime) and see if I can spot it. Is it a tiny wee thing on the ground somewhere?

It's unmissable, you probably already have it:

it's right next to the stairs leading down to level 3, in a waist-high alcove that you walk right into before turning left to the stairs. It's inside a big sack though, so I'm guessing you just picked up the sack and never bothered looking inside it :P

Also, boxes and sacks are awesome because they allow me to carry MOAR TORCHES.

It's unmissable, you probably already have it:

it's right next to the stairs leading down to level 3, in a waist-high alcove that you walk right into before turning left to the stairs. It's inside a big sack though, so I'm guessing you just picked up the sack and never bothered looking inside it :P

Also, boxes and sacks are awesome because they allow me to carry MOAR TORCHES.

Can you do bag in a box in a bag. :)

Now stuck on level 3 puzzle -

Moving portals - throw stone to end but then stone gets picked up by portal?

See my earlier post on this one. It's certainly the first head scratcher, took me 10 minutes at least to figure it out.

Level 3 all fitted on one sheet of paper with no jumps. I :wub: my mapz. But now 4 has all teleporty fragments of level. To the printer!

Bastards. I'm trying to write a novel! Now, instead, I'm posting to ask, should I just get this from the dev's site?

Answer needed in 2.5 seconds, because I'm heading right there to hover over the buy button....

The

four scrolls

Puzzle on level 5 is currently bamboozling me, but it feels good!

I thought I had to place them in the alcoves in order to complete the four sentences, but nothing's happening. Must be missing a vital part. Thought I'd clocked it by doing the switch-timed leap into the centre pit, but that just led me to a secret armour.

No hints though, please :)

Edit: Cracked it!

I misread 'By his call' as 'By his cell', which made me put the scrolls in the wrong places.

So Skyrim is getting kinect support now? Mainstream games can go *&^% themselves as far as I'm concerned now, I'll stick with games like this, other indie games, Kickstarter and gog.com for my RPG fixes now I think

Oh man...this takes me back. The instant I took my first step, it reminded me of playing Bloodwych on my ST for the first time. Pleasingly, the new netbook plays it on high settings - it's a real looker! I wasn't expecting it to look quite so good.

Bloodwych! Jesus, now there was a game! Thank you, I'd almost forgotten its existence entirely. I loved that game!

I'm stuck on level 2 (To my shame)

The door with two keyholes next to the blue health crystal. I've unlocked the door, gone through the teleporter but all I have at the other end is a scroll telling me about poison bolt, and a locked door that I can see a mushroom man on the other side of. No idea how to get past that one.