Legend of Grimrock - new old school dungeon crawler RPG!

Mr. Gerbik

I'm 14 hours into the game now and don't think I'm even close yet to finishing it. I've made it to around floor 7 I think currently and all my team are nearing or on around level 10 ish in stats. There have been a ton of restarts after messing up too many times, so 14 hours really would probably be more like 16 or there abouts. From what I've heard, it's supposed to be around 15 to 16 hours to play through, but typically as I tend to search around a lot, I almost always maximise play time way beyond the average play time.

As I've just started fighting slimes and the flaming armor guys, I decided to go back to floor 4 where I found a hidden stairway into a room full of slimes, that at the time, was almost impossible. To my delight I've picked up the first of the 7 key treasures hidden in the game, along with a green gem into a treasure room containing a crossbow.

Really feeling the pace and the difficulty of puzzles on the whole, as so far I haven't needed to resort to any outside help, and no matter how many times I've been stuck, I've managed to suss things out eventually. I'd heard they did some good puzzles in LoG and I have to agree on this one. It can get a bit too much at times though being in such samey environments, so this 15 hours or so over the last few weeks feels like 40 so far.

Haha, can't remember specific examples, but there have definitely been posts of your I've read that surprised me in terms of disagreements on good games.

Anyway, isn't it less than a tenner? Is there no demo? Yarr it if you really want a test drive.

I love the way you can place notes on the map wherever you like. I've don't play many PC titles so it's the first I've been able to do that sort of thing. Whether or not you'll enjoy the game will be down to whether or not you can handle the samey environments and slow pace. It's all about the puzzles, traps and creatures. The RPG elements I really like, as you really choose how to build your team up and each play through will be different for different people. It's definitely worth the asking price. The puzzle's aren't stupidly obscure either but do test your awareness quite cleverly. Above all though, for me it's a fresh experience as I haven't played this sort of thing before.

Someone posted a link in this thread to a mod site with a number of mods that can be tried out, and I think there's already a DM remake using this engine. I haven't tried any of them out, but some of them do look quite different having altered things quite a bit graphically.

Around level 9 I found the puzzles do get a bit obscure. In the sense that you could get the jist of what to do just fine, but the game is looking for something else that also works. I remember a room where you have to leave lots of objects especially had me stumped because I'd made a very slight mistake even though my thinking was correct. The long corridoor. too...

How do you find out how much you walk forward each time from the poem? Was it trial and error?

Amazin game though despite the enemy designs : slimes and snails? Would love to see some more threatening looking enemies in the next one. Something like the birdmen in eye of the beholder, or lizard chaps or , anything. I'm not scared of snails.

Nah, if it's less than a tenner, I'll just grab it on steam. And, yeah, there are plenty of games that are pretty much universally acclaimed that I just happen to hate (Bayonetta is the prime example).

I'm Working my way through Planescape Torment at the moment though, revisiting it after ten years. So this'll have to wait.

I've got a spare copy sitting in my Steam inventory I'm not going to use as I got another as part of a humble bundle. It's yours if you want it?

If you do PM me a note of your steam id or e-mail and I'll get it gifted over :)

I might try that actually because, although it does play on high settings, there's still a bit of a difference when lowering things. I've been ok with it all on highest but there feels like a slight latency with it all, just subtly though.

• 3 weeks later...

Around level 9 I found the puzzles do get a bit obscure. In the sense that you could get the jist of what to do just fine, but the game is looking for something else that also works. I remember a room where you have to leave lots of objects especially had me stumped because I'd made a very slight mistake even though my thinking was correct. The long corridoor. too...

How do you find out how much you walk forward each time from the poem? Was it trial and error?

Amazin game though despite the enemy designs : slimes and snails? Would love to see some more threatening looking enemies in the next one. Something like the birdmen in eye of the beholder, or lizard chaps or , anything. I'm not scared of snails.

I think I'm actually stuck majorly for the first time right now. I'm also on floor 9, and have most of it uncovered. I figured out the long hall way, in fact it was the first thing I did when I got teleported back and I was surprised to get to the other side. The other room where you lay items, I take it you are referring to a room called Chequered Room, in which case I sussed that one out as well. The place I'm quite suck on though is a room with a door on one side, a crystal and four alcoves to place items on with a message against each one, except no idea what is supposed to be put there. It could literally be anything as they don't seem to give you anything to place down. It looks like this is pretty much the decided way to go in order to continue down to level 10 as well.

I'm about 21 hours into it now too, not including extra time restarting after deaths.

Yeah I know that, but it's like it could be anything. I've read something worrying as well which suggests there's something on that level and most likely it's this bit, that you have to do it using items that exist across the whole of the game, in which case I have absolutely no idea and life it too short. It's unlike the rest of the game as the puzzles so far can be done without having to search every floor. The clues aren't useful in the slightest as it could literally be anything.

Read up on one of the items and would have never guessed in a million years, so decided fuck that, no way am I searching the ENTIRE game trying out every item. Easily the worst puzzle. I read a guy complain on another forum about this exact thing and I can relate entirely.

Hmm. I don't remember the details of the puzzle, but I remember it making sense to me. Anyways, I've been stuck on a later part of the game since then so I managed to hit my own brick wall with it. I'm too stubborn to look up solutions. Same reason I never finished Braid.

I rarely give up on these sorts of situation too and it was something that annoyed me because I haven't looked up anything until then. The problem was knowing that it could be any item in the entire game that could be used for one. Secondly not knowing that if you get the right item in the right spot, it makes a click sound. And finally knowing not only did I need the right item, I needed 4 of them in the right places. Without knowledge of knowing if I had one placed in the right place, it seemed like something that could have added hours and hours and hours of exploration onto my game. I'm getting bored of it all now though anyway and really want to just finish it. There was another door like this to a secret place just outside the room through an iron door which I did suss out quite quickly. It was a bit random though my decision to use the item I did, but it just happened to work.

Personally I think the puzzle should have had some sort of note with an indication as to what maybe one of the items was, just so you'd be aware of the click noise to indicate you have it right before solving the whole puzzle, and secondly to reveal what sort of item you are needing to use. I was worried it may have been one of the very very rare secret items, of which I have two of about 7 and really did not want to fuck about with every possibility imaginable.

Ok, so I'm now on the lowest of floors 12/13 in the prison area. Strangely, I'm sure I had read or seen somewhere that there were 11 floors, clearly not. I've also twice come across it supposedly being a 15/16 hour game too. Well I'm approaching 26 recorded hours, and am probaby nearing 30 real hours. I'm struggling trying to find one more piece for this central machine. I'm liking the environmental surroundings in this prison section.

Just thought I'd point out that it's now over as I managed to finish it off not long ago.

I love the final areas of the game, along with the...

final crazy mechanical box boss that turns on you suddenly. I really wasn't expecting that.

I had written out some thoughts in another thread, but it's more likely to be related to within this thread so here is again in the spoiler below.

Feels like I've been playing this game forever, and that's probably down to the isolated feel of roaming around samey looking dungeons for the past 6 weeks or so as I have played this on and off. I had read that it was on average a 15-16 hour game, but it took me just short of 26 recorded hours and must have been certainly around the 30 hour mark if you include the restarts after deaths, and there were many, maybe 200 or so throughout the game.

It is a fantastic game though for what it is, and the game truly does offer a nice variety of puzzles, combat and exploration all the while providing an excellent absorbing atmosphere. The graphics are really good and highly detailed with some very nice lighting effects. I was running this on my new i7 laptop with integrated HD4000 graphics, and it managed to just about pull off the high settings with only a slight noticeable difference to basic settings.

I suppose as I tend to search around a lot, I was able to increase the amount of time I'd typically spend on this game and would say it's easily worth trying out if you can see yourself playing this sort of thing. It's actually the first time I've really properly played a game of this type aside from a few brief encounters with Dungeon Master on the ST when I was young, but back then I had no idea what to do. All the puzzles are well thought out, and I was able to resist looking up online for any solutions, all apart from one odd one which seemed to go against the grain of the rest, which relies on using items that you may or may not have on you which could potentially be anything instead of providing you with all you need in the local area around.

I thought the final area was really refreshing and loved the "box" thing idea to finish things off. The fact that not only do you get the original game, but also have access to expansions from users makes this so worth while. I think it's standard price is $15, but there was an offer on at one stage for less than 5 during the sales which is clearly a superb price. Legend of Grimrock isn't short of being excellent, but I'm now happy to have brought it to an end so I can concentrate on something new.

Aside from that puzzle above I'd mentioned earlier, I didn't have to resort to any further aid thankfully. It's definitely one of those that quite numerous times I'd felt completely stumped, but then somehow managed to figure out the correct way through. I think on the previous puzzle, I gave up too quickly because of the scope of how deep it felt it could be. The thought of having to travel back through the entire game and search for items was unbearable so I very quickly opted out of that one. None of the other puzzles had that feeling about then. Great game though overall.

• 2 years later...