Legend of Grimrock - new old school dungeon crawler RPG!

Mr. Gerbik

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If anyone is interested I have recorded a scripted 'Game of the Year' review complete with music for Grimrock as part of the Sonic's Ring 200th episode celebrations.

http://www.sonicsring.com/sonics-ring-200-bi-centurions

All the old guests are back with similar scripted reviews with bits on Dredd, The Walking Dead, the Wii U and the current hosts doing their top 5s in Film, TV, Games and Comics.

I'm around the halfway mark, it's also on itunes under Sonics Ring if anyone fancies subbing, it's a polished geek culture podcast that's been on the go for 4 years now ... the comics bit is convienently at the end to skip if that's not your bag either.

• 1 month later...

I just read a developer blog post http://www.grimrock....012-hello-2013/

Best bit of news? LoG has sold over 600,000 copies bitches! Who says there is no market for these games any more? It's not enough a big enough market to fund multi million dollar games with Martin Sheen as a voice actor but it's more than enough to keep smaller studios and teams in business.

I think it's great news and bodes well for more old school type RPGs in the future, I'm genuinely more excited by the indie scene these days than new consoles or whatever the latest AAA is from Ubisoft.

• 1 month later...

Expansion/DLC is no more...

log_2_tease.jpg

Secondly, and this is a biggie (probably more to ourselves than you!), we are now officially working on… Legend of Grimrock 2! Creating a mere DLC or expansion to Grimrock simply would not have felt right. As today’s meeting proved, we still have a lot of ideas we’d like to explore, lots and lots of new content already done (originally made for a DLC/expansion) and a big engine update in the works. Simply put, a DLC would have limited too much what we can do. With a full blown sequel we can raise Grimrock to the next level.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

As I've just upgraded to a new laptop as of the last week or so, I thought I'd start trying out some games to see what it's like beginning with this title as I've been intrigued for a while since reading up on it in Retro Gamer Magazine a while ago. It seems to run fine but the menu seems delayed when hovering over it. The game itself is fine and smooth though. The only real connection I have to this sort of game is that we had Dungeon Master on the ST back when I was quite young. I never really understood it myself as it all went over my head, but my dad and uncle would play it. Shame I never actually watched either of them do this and only really learned of that years later.

So anyway, I have just begun a brand new adventure, had a little sense of familiarity from back in the ST days, and have now ventured through the first few gates and corridoors. The problem came when I faced my first angry snail, which backed me into a corner of catch 22, where I tried everything I had, which resulted in throwing away all of my items at it, only to be continually attacked and unable to move or pick anything up again. I'm just looking online to find out a bit more to get to grips with the basics, but I'm quite excited to get into this. I smiled and raised an eyebrow when clicking that broken rock to open the wall on the left the first time. Made me feel like I was about to begin the first drop of what will be to come.

Been pottering away in the dungeon having probably played around 6 to 6 and half hours so far (total) and I think I'm around the third floor or so. A lot of it has been quite intuitive and obvious due largely to experience in searching around with games for years, seeing the obvious quite quickly. I did once get stuff briefly but that turned out to be a dead end because I just failed to notice the hidden cracked switch despite checking the room over and over several times (I swear it jumped out from nowhere). Found a few secrets too so far, (possibly around 18 or so).

Did have a frustrating moment earlier today while opening the door to that room with 4 spiders in for the first time. I had to keep re-loading lots of times to prevent either death or generally mass poisoning. The controls I'm really finding hard to get used to when having to do things quickly. It's just not what I'm used to seeing as I tend to play on consoles a lot. Still though it's a great game in all.