Legend of Grimrock - new old school dungeon crawler RPG!

Mr. Gerbik

Alright alright. No need to rub it in.

And I'm not even a native English speaker! :D

I'm just kidding btw. I had to look up other puzzles and more than likely there's a few among those that you solved in one go. That's always the case in games like this :)

Oh and I thought my hint for googling an image search was pretty good! Wasn't it?

It was :) I actually knew what 'checkered' meant (personal trivia: I once painted my bedroom in black and white checks), but I was so hung up on the solution being something to do with moves in the game of checkers that I lost the plot. I was doing stuff like moving two steps forward and one right, one back... all that kind of nonsense. In the end though, as everyone is probably clearly aware, I was just being a bit thick.

I got it through checkers though, as soon as I read "checkered room" I thought it would be related to how the pieces move and, starting from the first square, stuck items on each of the squares I could move to. 10 seconds later I get an achievement.

And yeah, I've spent ages at a puzzle only to facepalm when I realize how simple the solution is.

Times are tough so had to wait till pay day to pick this up so only got a brief go last night but I like it so far, maybe there was a quick tutorial somewhere but must have skipped it so may go back and do that to learn about mage spell casting. I only have a sword and throwing knife to far really and chose two fighters and a mage and a rogue for the rear 2 spots.

Check out my own personal band of mercenaries! I am hoping Brian will pick up Fus Roh Dah! shortly.

150985_10150768285022435_515437434_9456667_923532358_n.jpg

I have heard a few people say the game is a bit of a punisher for graphics card because it keeps trying to draw the scene as fast as possible although it isn't a particularly graphical intensive game. I have 2 5770s in crossfire and the noise it makes is unbelieveable, I have Vsync set to always on in drivers and heard the latest patch fixes this but doesn't seem to fix it for me it seems.

Finally finished, and just in time for Risen 2! :D An absolutely brilliant game, and a strong candidate for my personal GotY of 2012. More from these talented devs please! Also, my final stats:

grimrockstats.png

Missed out on quite a few secrets, but overall not bad. This was on normal, mind. Definitely one to be replayed a few times, but first: Risen 2!

Having read through the thread and seen all the brilliant comments about this I took the plunge and I'm not disappointed - it's brilliant.

Where do the hours go though? Seriously, I've been sat playing for 4 hours and I have no idea where the time went!

I'm on level 4/5 and the game has just took a massive jump in difficulty, mainly due to me having no food left. Sounds like a common problem people have run into.

Looks like I'll have to keep running back to the crystal on level 3 to heal myself.

Still enjoying this (apart from the abundance of spiders) but wondered about later levels and whether or not there's a bit more of an emotional/character element to it? For example, will I meet any NPCs later on e.g. a trader or fallen comrade? I can't help feeling that it would enhance the gameplay if there were more of that. At the moment all I have done is fight sketon warriors and spiders and there hasnt been much variation in the environments so far.

Obviously dont want any spoilers, just an idea of whether things change as you progress.

There will be visual environment variation, the game will become more atmospheric as you go along, but at the end of the day it's a dungeon crawler. Storyline is not the focus.

There is a completely brilliant new game+ mode of sorts but I've already said too much :)

There will be visual environment variation, the game will become more atmospheric as you go along, but at the end of the day it's a dungeon crawler. Storyline is not focus.

There is a completely brilliant new game+ mode of sorts but I've already said too much :)

Ok thanks - as I say I'm really enjoying it. Just wondered if there was a bit more variation to come!

The variation comes from the look of the environments, the game introducing new enemies on a regular basis, and the puzzles becoming ever more challenging and complex as you progress - but the basic gameplay will remain the same throughout. I loved it from start to finish, but I could see why it wouldn't appeal to others as much as it did to me :)

Finally made it to level 6. OMFG! I was really glad to get here because it's been an age since I last ate. But, boy was I not expecting spiders like that.

I've just had a couple of goes, but I'm not sure how I'm going to get through it, death from every angle, and no way back.

I've just finished (100% - only on normal, mind). Didn't quite hit 50 in any particular skill - too busy cherry picking! - but I'll do that next time on hard mode.

Incredibly enjoyable - they've taken the best of DM, EOTB etc and streamlined it, giving a modern feel to a hectic old school game. Some of the puzzles/secrets had me grinning from ear to ear, either with nostalgia or with admiration for the devs - the term "you clever buggers" was mumbled on more than one occasion.

I'm sorry to report that I tried the no-mapping mode and got horrendously fed up by the third level. I think the days of me having the patience to map it myself are long gone! :(

:D

Nice. And you do know how to proceed from there, right?

Yeah. Not much of a fan of that though - should have more choice in the... wait, do spoilers work here?

Stats loadout - he'd work amazingly as a roguey type with backstab; as it is, what's the point in all that speed when you only need to play as normal? He's interesting on hard at least, though hard mode is already losing its appeal - the monsters hit harder, they move slightly faster, and they take a ton more damage, but when you get dumped into those fights where you can't help but be surrounded (e.g. Fighter's Challenge) it feels VERY cheap and frustrating.

• 2 months later...

This is $7.5 on gog right now. Offer ends Wednesday.

http://www.gog.com/e...end_of_grimrock

Nice! Also, I forgot to post that the level editor is almost here and that the iOS and MAC version are still coming. The level editor looks pretty sweet btw:

People are going to try and recreate Eye of the Beholder or Ultima Underworld, aren't they :D Apart from the token level 1-1 of Super Mario Bros of course.