Legend of Grimrock - new old school dungeon crawler RPG!

Mr. Gerbik

Your friend must be such a hit with the ladies.

I'm on level 3 of my old-school hard playthrough - unarmed ninja n axe tank on front, ice n fire mages at back. Using a guide to find all the secrets this time, have to say it's actually easier than the normal playthrough so far.

Fucking level four.

Throwing something by having it in your mouse pointer and clicking in the top half of the screen and throwing something by putting it in dudes hand and right clicking are two separate types of throw. I've been stuck for an hour on Time and Tide because of that. Bah!

Game is awesome.

Hint - Rogue with thrown weapons makes things much, much easier.

I'm currently on floor 3 and using the default characters. I decided to go for for a back row dagger rogue and pump points into assassination. Even now though, I'm starting to think I should have just gone with the headstart the game give me in throwing weapons because...

having to deal with multiple spiders up close is a pain in the fucking arse!

Hopefully she's just a late bloomer

I'm currently on floor 3 and using the default characters. I decided to go for for a back row dagger rogue and pump points into assassination. Even now though, I'm starting to think I should have just gone with the headstart the game give me in throwing weapons because...

having to deal with multiple spiders up close is a pain in the fucking arse!

Hopefully she's just a late bloomer

Late game assassination builds do feature really fast melee attacks - though you also learn to throw weapons faster than that, and can pick up rocks you throw even before killing the enemy. She'll end up useful though, since she's nice and protected at the back.

May just have been my group setup, but thrown was indispensable to me during my run - a few of my characters had low HP, so straight up fights were okay against some monsters, but any one that could damage the whole group at once ended up eating shuriken.

Checkered Room

:huh:

Stuck. Well and truly. I know it will come to me in a flash at some point, but right now I've taken to retreading the whole dungeon having another crack at doors I couldn't open (2 for 4 success rate so far).

Side note for the DM-obsessed: I'm pretty much constantly on the verge of getting the Zo Kath Ra symbols tattooed on my arm.

And I'm sitting here in a self-printed t-shirt featuring the hand pointer.

Anyone got any tips for dealing with the green slime dungeon? I could take them one on one, but they hide through the bars, attack you (but you can't attack them!) and I die almost straight away.

Sabreman - consider the name of the room.

Anyone got any tips for dealing with the green slime dungeon? I could take them one on one, but they hide through the bars, attack you (but you can't attack them!) and I die almost straight away.

Sabreman - consider the name of the room.

Once you hit them they'll come following you so lure them out one by one into the 'Feed Me' corridor. Ice bombs are really useful against them as the freeze solid and can't do any attacks for a bit.

I must resist the temptation to import portraits of Freddy Mercury, David Bowie, Billy Idol and Elton John and play the game as "Legend of Glamrock".

Bravo sir :lol:

I suppose you could also import four kiss members and still Grim Rock would still descibe it acurately.

I haven't clicked any of those spoilers because I'm incredibly bloody-minded about puzzles, but I've made no progress at all tonight and I do have one question regarding the 'Checkered Room': Is it a wordplay on the game of checkers? Because I don't know anything about that so the solution probably wouldn't come to me anyway. If not then... I'll just keep putting things on the floor and staring at the walls :mellow:

I have to admit I had to google that hint and then I couldn't believe how obvious it was. TBH like most of the puzzles in Grimrock - takes a few seconds to solve, but you could be scratching your head for ages as your brain doesn't quite shift in that direction.

Those portraits are superb.

I just opened the final iron door and got a nifty achievement for it! :D Probably not long to go now. Minor disappointment that I had to look up the solution for that final iron door (figured all the others out myself) and the item behind it was a weapon that I don't use :(

After the horrible time I had with the enemies on level 9, it's a relief to find that the new enemies in level 10 are relatively easy btw!

I've been back through the game and fallen down all the pits I'd previously avoided. Turned out to be a pretty constructive use of time, but now it's back to staring at the Checkered Room.

I spent an entire weekend stuck on a puzzle at the beginning of level 6 of Dungeon Master, and literally cracked it on the Sunday night. I will not be broken!

That's what I was asking early this morning! Right, I'm clicking those hints because the game has broken its own self-contained logic by expecting me to bring additional arcane knowledge to the table.

:hmm:

Edit:

Goddammit. I'd tried putting items on the floor in various patterns as well