Legend of Grimrock - new old school dungeon crawler RPG!

Mr. Gerbik

photo130ee4b2729.jpg

I thought this deserved its own topic since plenty of people on here are getting hot and bothered about this game but the discussion is currently split across the Steam and the GOG threads.

Legend of Grimrock, made by Finnish indie developer Almost Human, is an old school dungeon crawler inspired by the likes of Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and Ultima Underworld. As you can tell from the pre-order trailer below, it's very deliberately old school. It has grid-based movement, but you can also look around with your mouse and it features real-time combat with 4 player characters in two rows of two (so ranged characters go at the back naturally).

The game releases on April 11th on Steam, GOG and the official Legend of Grimrock website. There is no store page for it yet on Steam, but you can already buy it on the website and on GOG for a 20% discount. If you buy it from the devs directly you get both a Steam key to immediately activate the game on Steam (it has Steam Achievements btw) and a standalone installer. If you buy it on GOG you only get the standalone installer. For pre-purchasing this lovely looking game you get all these nice digital extras on both sites:

• - A beautifully crafted game manual
  • - Legend of Grimrock world map
  • - Custom made grid paper to print out for all your mapping needs (allegedly not on GOG)
  • - Grimrock theme music
  • - Wallpapers
  • - Art sheets illustrating foul creatures of Mount Grimrock
  • - Team photo

Custom made grid paper - they know their audience :D As far as I can tell, the pre-order on GOG doesn't come with the grid paper btw. I can confirm that the grid paper (and the manual for that matter) is very nice indeed but you'll only need it if you choose to play the game in the optional 'old school mode' which turns the auto-map off completely.

Rock Paper Shotgun are wanking themselves silly over Legend of Grimrock, in their latest fanboy article they list the 11 things they're looking forward to most. I'll post it here in its entirety because it also illustrates how great this game is hopefully going to be if you still fondly remember Dungeon Master and the like:

Legend Of Grimrock is out in a couple of weeks, via Steam and GOG.com, and anticipation is building. A game that harks back to the glory days of FTL’s Dungeon Master is something many would like to get their hands on. Get my hands on it I have, and after spending a little time with some pre-release code, I’m excited to confirm it really does seem to be capturing that era, with tile-based movement, a quartet of characters, and the terrifying moments when you’re trying to mix a potion in the middle of a fight. Below you can read the top 11 things that I think make it a game worth taking an interest in. (I have a sneaking suspicion that anyone who didn’t play Dungeon Master is going to find this post a touch confusing.)

Well, look, I’m breaking this to you now: It doesn’t have a portrait gallery at the start. Yes, but we can get over this, because it does have…

1) removeable torches!

grim11.jpg

2) And a party of four characters you create at the start!

grim12.jpg

3) Evil skellingtons!

grim2.jpg

4) Sleeping in risky places where monsters may eat you!

grim3.jpg

5) Horrible creatures that make me want to hide behind my dad!

grim9.jpg

6) Teleport fields that are suitably fuzzy!

grim6.jpg

7) Giant chunks of food made out of beasts (although here a snail rather than a worm)!

grim7.jpg

8) A simple inventory, with room for cloaks!

grim13.jpg

9) Angular made up languages on the walls!

grim8.jpg

10) Pits to fall down!

grim10.jpg

11) And very best of all, hidden switches on the walls!

grim1.jpg

Honestly, hidden switches on the walls are all I could ask for. So here’s hoping that by the time we’ve finished the game we’ll still have the same enthusiasm. And while it’s very faithful to Dungeon Master, it’s also clearly a game made for the modern lady and man, with the ability to freely look around despite the tile moves and 90 degree turns, and some swishy lighting effects, etc. I should stress, after my little fangasm above, this isn’t just a DM tribute band – they’re playing their own songs too. And knowing the original – so far – I don’t think is important at all. Whether it can all hold together, and provide a rewarding experience twenty-five years since its inspiration, is something we’ll find out on April 11th when it’s released.

legendofgrimrockscreens.jpg

legendofgrimrockscreens.jpg

That looks lovely :wub: Loved Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back etc back in the day. Unfortunately i've only got a laptop with crap inbuilt graphics so it might struggle to run on it. Might have to wait for the inevitable iOS version.

That looks lovely :wub: Loved Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back etc back in the day. Unfortunately i've only got a laptop with crap inbuilt graphics so it might struggle to run on it. Might have to wait for the inevitable iOS version.

These are the minimum and recommended specs. I'll spoiler them because nowadays Boozy even wanders into PC-exclusive threads with righteous anger to smite any and all tech talk that isn't specifically about consoles::

Minimum:

CPU: Dual Core 2GHz Intel or 2.8GHz AMD

Memory: 2GB

Graphics: ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or better (512MB graphics memory or more. Shader Model 3.0 needs to be supported). Minimum supported resolutions 1280×720 and 1024×768.

DirectX: 9.0c

Disk Space: 1GB

Recommended:

CPU: Quad Core 2.66GHz Intel or 3.2GHz AMD

Memory: 4GB

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2900 or NVIDIA GeForce 8800 or better (512MB graphics memory or more. Shader Model 3.0 needs to be supported)

Might bootcamp be an option to get this game to run, smackie?

These are the minimum and recommended specs. I'll spoiler them because nowadays Boozy even wanders into PC-exclusive threads with righteous anger to smite any and all tech talk that isn't specifically about consoles::

Minimum:

CPU: Dual Core 2GHz Intel or 2.8GHz AMD

Memory: 2GB

Graphics: ATI Radeon X1600 or NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or better (512MB graphics memory or more. Shader Model 3.0 needs to be supported). Minimum supported resolutions 1280×720 and 1024×768.

Recommended:

CPU: Quad Core 2.66GHz Intel or 3.2GHz AMD

Memory: 4GB

Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2900 or NVIDIA GeForce 8800 or better (512MB graphics memory or more. Shader Model 3.0 needs to be supported)

Might bootcamp be an option to get this game to run, smackie?

*googles bootcamp*

I was thinking more iPad than Mac. My laptop is an HP with dual-core 1.9Ghz and 2Gb ram (Win7). Will need to check what graphics it runs. It's not the embedded Intel number, but might not be good enough to run this.

Not sure how I'll take to this. I've never played any of the old dungeon crawlers and I'm not used to tile based play. I tried Wizardry on the PS3 and really didn't like it at all but I think that was partly because it was turn based as well. But fuck it, I'll give it a go anyway and I loved the way the devs responded directly to their disabled fanbase and took what they wanted into account. I may even end up loving it!