IGNORED

David Cronenberg's Cosmopolis

lordcookie

Synopsis: Based on the Don DeLillo novel of the same name, it follows a young millionaire during a 24-hour odyssey on his way to get a haircut in Manhattan.

NSFW

Although Robert Pattinson has starred in a number of serious films in the last couple of years I think it is this film that will be the one that separates him from the Twilight franchise. It is a very short teaser but certainly looks intriguing.

23rd of May? His last film only came out a few weeks ago!

Anyway, the book is certainly the sort of thing that Cronenberg could make an amazing film out of, but that Pattinson bloke seems a bit young to me. Maybe I've misremembered.

Book spoiler.

I wonder if the scene where he gets a... umm... 'medical exam' in the limousine is still there.

• 4 weeks later...

23rd of May? His last film only came out a few weeks ago!

I think it was mentioned on Kermode's show in an interview with Viggo Mortensen that Cronenberg is still a director who can't make what he wants to make whenever he wants, so he always has half a dozen projects 'ready to go' in case an opportunity opens up for it to get made. A film about a man with all his unmade ideas floating around inside his head combined with the frustration of not being able to make them is a body horror fir for the man himself... perhaps with the unmade films being made manifest with dodgy sex and the only relief coming when they are finally made, probably emerging fully formed as a reel ejaculated from Cronie's fallopian supertube.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw this last night. It's one of those films where you may see people start walking out, a few did in mine. It's just so damn cold and emotionless, I felt it sort of worked given the subject of the film. Great dialogue and direction, good solid performances but very slow paced. I don't mind slow paced films as long as the direction and dialogue is interesting enough so I was able to enjoy it on some level.

• 5 months later...

Incredibly pretentious but I actually liked this until the final sequence. That just made my head spin and it dragged on a bit. I'd suggest 95% of people that watch this will hate it. I thought it was interesting and certainly felt like a Cronenberg movie.