rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
simms

New to PC gaming

Without getting into a tedious M/K vs Controller argument, I'd say the exact opposite, actually. FPS games tailored for pads have to be slower than PC exclusive ones (used to be). Even recent, console-focused games show a distinction - BF3 plays much faster on PC than on console, I find. For this reason, I'm much better when I play it on my mate's 360 than I ever am on PC, haha. That game requires multiple, relatively quick button presses - sprinting, crouching, reloading, changing weapons, going prone, activating bombs etc. Takes some time to get used to doing it on M/K, if you're coming straight from years of console-only play, like I was, but once you can it's just muscle memory and it's easier to do it, if anything. Evey tried playing Quake 3 on a controller? :<

I'm still better with a controller, but I've adjusted to being competent with M/K and I don't think controllers are at all better suited to fast paced games.

Oh dear I did not want to set off a controller vs keyboard debate. Not saying keyboard mouse is inferior as that's obviously a matter of preference and practice. I may have just happened it pick a bunch of games that just were probably not the best demonstration of what pc gaming has to offer and it's left a bitter taste. Can we leave it t that?

I want to try some of the less demanding indie titles on my rusty pc even do a spot of upgrading now I'm armed with a bit of knowledge from you kind gentleman.

Well I managed the build! I'm a little embarrased to say it did however take about 4 hours.

It's a good feeling that I managed it though.

Wow Crysis!

It's always the game I use to try out any updates on my machine! It's still a gorgeous thing to behold when running nice!

Oh dear I did not want to set off a controller vs keyboard debate. Not saying keyboard mouse is inferior as that's obviously a matter of preference and practice. I may have just happened it pick a bunch of games that just were probably not the best demonstration of what pc gaming has to offer and it's left a bitter taste. Can we leave it t that?

I want to try some of the less demanding indie titles on my rusty pc even do a spot of upgrading now I'm armed with a bit of knowledge from you kind gentleman.

I'm a console player tbh, bar a few exceptions I went from NES all the way to the 360 before really getting into PC gaming. As such I hadn't really had any practice with mouse & keyboard controls and found them very fiddly at first. It took me about a year to get used to them, now I just pick and choose per game. (for example, m+kb isn't really recommended for GTA games due to the driving bits). It's just a matter of practice, you can't expect somebody who never held a controller in their life to pick up Halo 3 and just start playing - they will have a similar experience as you had with m+kb. It's a matter of practice. Since I also come from a console background and had to make a bit of an effort to get used to m+kb, I might be able to recommend you a few suitable titles if you tell me what kind of genres you like (no driving games of course, that is always a bad idea with m+kb, the equivalent of playing a strategy game like Total War with a 360 controller).

So, what kind of games do you like? :)

• Upvote 1

If we are talikng about gaming creditials i've been playing games since my parents bought me a commodore vic-20 and migrated from home computing to console gaming only skipping the amiga/atari st era. Not blowing my trumpet too loudly but I had no problem with the wasd keyboard setup and mouse aiming its the other button presses outside of moving and shooting which was proving difficult. I play everything (or trry to as i have a gaming pile of shame) but Iove me sandbox gaming as you may already tell.

If you're already used to mouse aiming and WASD then you're already way ahead of where I was when I got into PC gaming. Couldn't hit the side of a building while standing still at first. Getting used to pressing other buttons apart from WASD is just a matter of time, if you can already do WASD then you'll be hitting all the other keys in no time if you start playing on PC for a bit (i.e. playing a few games all the way through).

If we are talikng about gaming creditials i've been playing games since my parents bought me a commodore vic-20 and migrated from home computing to console gaming only skipping the amiga/atari st era. Not blowing my trumpet too loudly but I had no problem with the wasd keyboard setup and mouse aiming its the other button presses outside of moving and shooting which was proving difficult. I play everything (or trry to as i have a gaming pile of shame) but Iove me sandbox gaming as you may already tell.

Ah, I see your problem now. You're supposed to use the same fingers for that as you use for movement but I can see why you might find that tricky, it does take a bit of getting used to. Perhaps a mouse with extra buttons on the side or a gaming keypad might help. Playing with the keybinds might also help as certain key combinations are easier to hit.

One thing I forgot to mention in my defence which disappointed me was that it was disappointing that joypad controls were not fully reconfigurable as standard. I assumed that they would be.

Ah, I see your problem now. You're supposed to use the same fingers for that as you use for movement but I can see why you might find that tricky, it does take a bit of getting used to. Perhaps a mouse with extra buttons on the side or a gaming keypad might help.

Bingo. I did look into that and was actualling looking into purchasing another mouse with more buttons until I found that some games may not let you assign to more than the standard two buttons. If you look back In the thread you'll see I was asking all kinds of questions about different controller Interfaces I.e trackballs, split fish controller, gaming keyboards, Xpadder etc

One thing I forgot to mention in my defence which disappointed me was that it was disappointing that joypad controls were not fully reconfigurable as standard. I assumed that they would be.

To be honest, joypad controls should always be fully configurable for every game on every platform, PC or console, as far as I'm concerned. Most devs seem to be unwilling to pull their finger out and make it so however, see also: pausable and skippable cutscenes.

Bingo. I did look into that and was actualling looking into purchasing another mouse with more buttons until I found that some games may not let you assign to more than the standard two buttons. If you look bad in the thread you'll see I was asking a kinds of questions about different controller Interfaces I.e trackballs, split fish controller, gaming pads, Xpadder etc

If you buy a gaming mouse with more buttons you can map any keyboard key to any of the extra buttons on the mouse, regardless of which options the game in question does or does not offer.

If you buy a gaming mouse with more buttons you can map any keyboard key to any of the extra buttons on the mouse, regardless of which options the game in question does or does not offer.

Yeah, generally the mice will come with software that lets you bind the buttons to anything you like so you don't need the game to support them directly. Same for the keypads.

Yes I was looking into Logitech mice that were supposed to come with such software.

Yes I was looking into Logitech mice that were supposed to come with such software.

Yeah, they come with SetPoint which is highly configurable, you can even create profiles on a per game/app basis. Logitech do good mice but the wheels on some of them tend to be a bit iffy as they're obsessed with with making them click sideways or roll forever, which interferes with the basic function.

Why no Red dead redemption on pc? Whats the devs excuse. I was quite shocked to hear that it's not released as yet. That would look mind blowing on a mid - high end pc.

Cool thanks.

Another question (sorry).

I want to get Major League Baseball 2K12, which you can buy from Steam in the US, but not in the UK.

The game itself isn't available in the UK this year, but could I get the game from somewhere like: http://www.ultimatumgamekeys.com/en and use that? Or are they still region locked like 360 games?

Which mouse would people recommend?

Razer. No competition.

Also and I can't say this enough, get a good mouse mat like a steel series.

There's been tons of threads about this.

Hiya, not new to PC gaming as such but I haven't played anything on a PC in years apart from Hearts of Iron a bit about 2 years ago. Mrs. Kinketsu and I bought a new computer the other week and it seems good, though I don't know the specs really, and it's all setup in a way I don't like in an effort to be flash, sort of like an iMac or whatnot. Like there is no tower, it's all built into the monitor, and there is loads of daft transparent tool bar guff on the desktop. The wife picked it.

Anyway, I was wondering what demo would people recommend to be a decent test for a half-decent computer? Like I say, I haven't hardly played anything since I was in university on a PC, and then it was all Day of Defeat and so on, outside of wee games of Civ IV or Hearts of Iron, which just about ran on the one we had before and I haven't been keeping up with newer releases. Is there anything in particular which would strike anyone as something that would be nice to run as a kind of middle ground test, and then I could try putting the settings up?

Crysis is definitely the one to go for. It's still one of the most demanding games around, since console limits have dictated things since then for the most part.

And then once you've established that Crysis runs fine, get Shogun 2. You'll love it.

Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced gaming keyboard?

I have an MS Sidewinder X4 which I'm very happy with. Nothing too over the top just a few macro keys and back lighting which is very useful, also not much bigger than a normal keyboard.

• Upvote 1

This may have been a blessing in disguise simms. Just enjoy some nice non-demanding (spec-wise) indie stuff for a bit until you realise that you might as well stick some more ram in your pc. Then you will probably want to upgrade your graphics card. Then you'll realise the CPU is holding your new card back, and before long........... ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ONE OF US! ;)

when I get a chance to play a game I just want it to work then I play

Admittedly, the X51 is a LOT of money to pay for something that doesn't do precisely what you want, and whilst PC gaming has made major strides forward in the last 5 years, it still isn't quite the experience consoles are for gaming in terms of just having things work, 100% first time with no configuration (though some console updates do seem to be doing their best to sabotage that!).

I have an MS Sidewinder X4 which I'm very happy with. Nothing too over the top just a few macro keys and back lighting which is very useful, also not much bigger than a normal keyboard.

I like the look of that one! It's not a bad price either. I wanted to pay no more than £50

Admittedly, the X51 is a LOT of money to pay for something that doesn't do precisely what you want, and whilst PC gaming has made major strides forward in the last 5 years, it still isn't quite the experience consoles are for gaming in terms of just having things work, 100% first time with no configuration (though some console updates do seem to be doing their best to sabotage that!).

Yes, I bang on about it a lot I'm afraid, but jeez that 360 dashboard is a nightmare.

Crysis is definitely the one to go for. It's still one of the most demanding games around, since console limits have dictated things since then for the most part.

And then once you've established that Crysis runs fine, get Shogun 2. You'll love it.

Thanks for reminding me, Rudi. Yeah I want to get that and Civ 5 and I want to get Hearts of Iron on the go again, although in all the time I played it the last time I think I only won the war once that that was as Germany. But I enjoyed all the times I lost as the UK. I think that was Hearts of Iron 2 though, maybe I can run the third one now. I need to figure out how to install Steam I think so I can get some of this stuff as the computer won't let me at the minute. It is a bit annoying I can't try even the demos of some of this stuff without a Steam account!

I got the demo for Crysis last night and it runs fine on the medium settings so do you reckon I'll be ok for Shogun 2 or Civ 5?

Civ 5 should run no bother. Shogun 2 on a mix of medium/high DirectX9 settings should also work well (keep texture detail to medium, that's the major thing). You could try out the demo of Shogun 2 - usability and so on has improved since the demo build, but you'll be able to see how it runs on medium settings anyway (high ones are restricted). Napoleon: Total War is also worth a look - you'll probably be able to run it on higher settings than Shogun 2 even, and it'll probably look slightly better. Assuming you have a DX10 card, anyway - Napoleon has DX9 and DX10 settings, Shogun 2 has DX9 and DX11 so if you don't have a DX11 card you've got to stick with slightly worse graphics than you can get with the earlier game.

Don't get Hearts of Iron 3, ever. It's really bad. Get Darkest Hour instead - it's a remake of Hearts of Iron 2 - and then get the Kaiserreich mod for it. It's an alternate history mod where Germany won WW1 and the US didn't intervene at all, and it's got a brilliantly worked-out setting with tons of events for every single country. It's a lot more fun than the historical campaign!

You should also look up Crusader Kings 2, Paradox's newest game, which is also their most polished and a properly good game even without mods or anything.