To congratulate/console myself for getting a crappy job I whipped out the credit card and treated myself to this -

http://www.chessbaron.co.uk/chess-M2040.htm

I'll be saving up to move in with the GF soon and won't have any cash after that so it's probably my last big treat for a while. Depending on how silly you all think I've been, I might show you the board I bought to go with it...

To congratulate/console myself for getting a crappy job I whipped out the credit card and treated myself to this -

http://www.chessbaro...chess-M2040.htm

I'll be saving up to move in with the GF soon and won't have any cash after that so it's probably my last big treat for a while. Depending on how silly you all think I've been, I might show you the board I bought to go with it...

I like it! The size reminds me of a chess board for visually impaired children that John Lewis on Oxford Street used to sell ages ago. A mate of mine and I played a game on their demo model in the toys section once - I was really tempted to pick it up at the time but just didn't have the space for it at home.

http://www.chessbaro...chess-M2040.htm

That's really very nice! I want to get back into chess and shake off the rust now so I can justify buying and displaying something like that.

But why does it have four queens?

That's really very nice! I want to get back into chess and shake off the rust now so I can justify buying and displaying something like that.

But why does it have four queens?

Pawn promotion. It's feasible that you could have two Queens of one colour on the board at once so it's handy to have the extra ones if that happens. Of course it's possible you could have three but that would be very rare.

• 1 month later...

Do you guys allow takesybacksies? I mean perhaps face to face or against a friend but online I don't. I make massive mistakes and I wouldn't even want to take them back as I think even the stupidest shit is a reflection on your skill. Just seems cheeky when people ask for it, yes I can checkmate them now but did I ask them for a takeback when I moved my Queen into the path of a Knight?

Chesscube in general seems to have a horrible community... I mean I don't mind resignations but 90% of the oponents disconnect before losing.

Do you guys allow takesybacksies? I mean perhaps face to face or against a friend but online I don't. I make massive mistakes and I wouldn't even want to take them back as I think even the stupidest shit is a reflection on your skill. Just seems cheeky when people ask for it, yes I can checkmate them now but did I ask them for a takeback when I moved my Queen into the path of a Knight?

Chesscube in general seems to have a horrible community... I mean I don't mind resignations but 90% of the oponents disconnect before losing.

Takesybacksies?! Hell no, IRL if you take your finger off the piece thats you, committed.

In chess with friends you can place a move, and examine it, before hitting the submit button, the close proximity of the cancel button and committ has resulted in a number of unintended moves. That shit sucks.

I saw the documentary about Bobby Fischer that was on a while ago and they touched on how a lot of great chess players can seem to go a bit mad which I thought was interesting. Having played a bit now I can really understand why and I think if I started getting really into it then it might be a bit dangerous. I know that sounds a bit silly but it probably affects people differently and after yesterdays mammoth session I was definitely finding it hard to think of anything at all without squares and chess moves invading my thoughts. Very strange.

http://www.amazon.co.../dp/0141185988/

Ooh, you use Chesscube. I set up an account after watching a funny youtube video of a guy playing a tournament consisting of solely consecutive 1 minute games. Then I lost a few 1 minute games and now it won't let me play 'cos I don't have enough 'points'. Do I need to keep creating new accounts to continue playing? Or is there a better program/system I should be using?

http://gameknot.com/ seems much more civilised, there is the option to play quick rounds but it's unrated so people will quit when they start to lose (but that happens in Chesscube anyway). It tends to be geared around 2-3 day a move games on Gameknot but it's a good tool to learn the game properly, as for ChessCube - I think if you play ranked matches you gain more points than lose?

Edit: Maybe not.

Argh. I keep making the mistake of playing unrated games which actually eats away your 'cubits' because it costs them to play, but there's nothing if you win. I was up to 60+ but now I've burnt through them all. Accursed system!

I'll put that one on the list, really can't afford any more books at the moment. I think I've been improving at chess overall. Learnt a lot from various websites and stuff.

It's not a book about learning chess; The Defence (a.k.a. The Luzhin Defence, as the 2000 film adaptation is named*, and now the novel too for some reason, though its original English title is simply 'The Defence') is a novel about someone who goes insane due to their obsession with chess, the world eventually mirroring a chess board in their perception. Your post about going 'slightly insane' after a seven-hour chess session and subsequently having chess moves and the geometry of the board invade your thoughts while lying in bed reminded me a little of it. Well, the early stages of it.

Not to worry you, but... you know. It's a great novel anyway.

* Don't bother with the film - as with other film adaptations of Nabokov's works, it's not even a pale shadow of the novel and loses all its subtlety and soul, and almost all of its intellect.

Here's an interesting BBC4 documentary about 'How to Win at Chess'. Most of the advice has been covered by previous posters, though.

Someone has already mentioned The Luhzin Defence, and anyone interested in chess fiction might want to read The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tevis (author of The Hustler). It's not great literature, but anyone who likes chess will probably find it interesting nonetheless.

I like playing correspondence chess (via email) with friends. It frees you from time pressure and thus from annoying mistakes (most of the time), and it's great if you have a board in your living room to study the position from when you have a few spare minutes. However, I never seem to play anyone that is willing to see a game through over the course of a few days/weeks.

If anyone's up for a game, let me know. I'm not very good, but have known the basics for a long time.

It's not a book about learning chess; The Defence (a.k.a. The Luzhin Defence, as the 2000 film adaptation is named*, and now the novel too for some reason, though its original English title is simply 'The Defence') is a novel about someone who goes insane due to their obsession with chess, the world eventually mirroring a chess board in their perception. Your post about going 'slightly insane' after a seven-hour chess session and subsequently having chess moves and the geometry of the board invade your thoughts while lying in bed reminded me a little of it. Well, the early stages of it.

Not too worry you, but... you know. It's a great novel anyway.

* Don't bother with the film - as with other film adaptations of Nabokov's works, it's not even a pale shadow of the novel and loses all its subtlety and soul, and almost all of its intellect.

Yeah I saw it was Nabokov and assumed it would be a novel. I meant that I've just spent too much on books in general, not just (but mainly) chess books. Sounds good though, cheers, I'll add it to the ever growing list. I've got no idea how I'm going to fit a job into my life. I guess I'll have to find one that fits into the hours I spend job searching.

Fortunately the chess moves in my head have calmed a little as I understand more. Once the moves are "resolved" they leave me alone.

|♖|♘|♗|♕|♔|♗|♘|♖|

|♙|♙|♙|♙|♙|♙|♙|♙|

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

|♟|♟|♟|♟|♟|♟|♟|♟|

|♜|♞|♝|♛|♚|♝|♞|♜|

(I'm sure at least one OS/browser combo will not render this properly)

That board's set up wrong. The Kings and Queens should swap places. Otherwise, cool pic, although I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be looking at beyond a chess board with some weird lines.

It's not a pic, it's all text.

|♖|♘|♗|||♗|♘|♖|

|♙|♙|♙|♙|♙|_|♙|♙|

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

|_|_|_|_|_||_|_|

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|_|

|♟|♟|♟|♟|♟|♟|♟|♟|

|♜|♞|♝|||♝|♞|♜|

see where I'm going...

(well personally I suck at the game, but I thought it might be interesting/cool to see a game played out like this on the forum, move by move)

• 2 months later...

So... What do people think about Chess 960/Fischer Random? I love the idea of it and there's obviously lots less theory about starting moves and such - yet to play it myself but I will do once I find a better site than Chesscube.

Also had what felt like my first proper win a couple of weeks ago against a guy ranked 1414 and it felt good. By proper I mean I felt like I deserved it lol. There was this gut-wrenching moment when he thrust his Queen into the centre checking me, I was a couple of pieces down with my Queen out of action on the middle right so it really looked like it was the end - he even said "Good game!" and everything. I was so close to being mated or losing a hefty amount of material that pretty much any wrong move could have ended it all. It was amazing that I managed to run my king around, systematically suffocate spaces for his Queen and protect all my pieces at the same time. Planned it all in advance and honestly all the deception and plotting made taking his Queen so sweet that I actually let out a "Oh fuck yeah!" followed by a *little* bit of manic laughter. From there on the game was lacklustre and I took it comfortably. :D

• 1 month later...

So I've been trying to find a way to show you chess games, I haven't found a way to embed yet but I've uploaded my latest game to this Chessvideo site - apparently they won't delete any games so that's cool as gameknot won't show you old games unless you pay their fee. (You just paste in the PGN code and upload, most sites/programs use a PGN system it seems.)

http://www.chessvide...er.php?id=70257

I'm black in that, just the last 6 or so turns are worthy of note (and especially the last one), I thought I did pretty well not to lose everything. It's still on-going but I think I've nailed this game. It's my first attempt at a Caro-Kann defense too!

• 3 weeks later...

The best way to get better at Chess (at least it helped me) is to download Chessmaster: The Art of Learning videogame. It's got a fantastic basic tutorial section as well as the greatest games ever played, all with Josh Waitzkin (the kid chess genius from "Searching for Bobby Fisher") narrating and explaining the thought processes behind various moves.

You will learn the basics as well as advanced techniques and it's a fantastic package anyway.

I love me some chess.