rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
dirk_beefhammer

Wasteland 2 - Director's Cut

I loved Defense Grid, but I think some all of their stretch goals are pretty ambitious. They want $1M to make a full sequel!

EDIT: Actually they just want to remake the original in a new engine, adding a bit of extra content, unless they reach their 1M target, at which point they'll go into "full sequel" mode. That's not just ambitious, it's kind of deceiving.

A bigger version.

JroxW.jpg

Nice to see some colour in there rather than just the usual post apocalyptic brown. I glad they decided to go for a more stylised look rather than gritty realism. Looking promising so far.

• Upvote 1

I hadn't put any thought into how I expect the game to look, just liked the concept so funded. Do really like the look of that it's very promising, now just to wait for any UI shots.

When I played it, repeatedly, back in the day, I had to have a print out of dialogue references to turn to. I don't know if you'd still need that, but that's the only thing stopping me going back to it.

Yeah you still need a guide today, its difficult but still worth it. You can complete it fairly easily too but the big point is being able to explore. Still holds up today.

Moon Intern: http://www.kickstart...xel/moon-intern

Moon Intern is a serialized side-scrolling action RPG set on a Moon Colony played almost like a comic book with each day acting like a single issue or a single episode. Our game is light hearted with a lot of love, action and adventure starring you, the backers! Navigate between the various areas of the Moon Colony as you preform odd jobs and random tasks in order to pay your rent (you're an intern after all). Also, keep your soul mate (the game’s most important NPC) happy by spending time with them and taking them on missions. Sometimes, however, you must face the perils of living on the Moon. You might have to stop an attack on a factory by the dangerous Robot Gang, clear out a nasty infestation of Moon parasites, or even face the brilliant and ruthless Moon King. In the end, you’re just an intern trying to make rent each month and keep your soul mate happy. The only difference is, on the Moon, you might have to fight a few ghosts, robots, parasites, and self-proclaimed monarchs to do so.

f0f55d328065afba8a4fb11fe32ae9e3_large.png?1340718500

8b782f88c5b17b75316ecf974b3e3cc8_large.png?1340734859

Interesting interview with Chris Avellone on gamesindustry.biz today where he talks about working on Wasteland 2, but more importantly he says he is very tempted to do a Planescape sequel via Kickstarter, or rather a spiritual successor (without the D&D rules) that is to Planescape as Fallout is to Wasteland.

Q: One last thing. Tempted by a Planescape Kickstarter?

Chris Avellone: Yes! Very tempted.

Q: It seems like a prime target...

Chris Avellone: Yeah - I think the challenges we've spoken about would all have to be considered and to be honest I don't know if I'd want to do it as a Planescape game - I think a better approach would be to ignore the D&D mechanics and respect what Planescape was trying to do and what the game did and see if you can do what Fallout did when it became the spiritual successor to Wasteland.

I think if you made a game using some of the concepts of Planescape, the metaphysical ideas and the plane travel, without using the D&D mechanics, you could actually come up with a much better game. With Torment, I'd argue that the D&D base actually, in places, got in the way of the experience. It was a lot harder to make a game with those ideas in it with D&D mechanics. So much that we had to break a lot of them. We had to ignore certain spells, change up the class mechanic so that you can switch at any time you like by remembering abilities.

That was stuff that D&D didn't allow for, it was to restraining in some respects. If we did do a spiritual successor, then I don't know if we'd use the Planescape licence or attach the mechanics, perhaps something that has a different feel to Torment.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-07-24-obsidians-chris-avellone

If you like Minecraft you'll probably love Castle Story. A voxel-based creative strategy game about building castles brick by brick and then defending them against enemies.

Voxels! :wub:

Interesting interview with Chris Avellone on gamesindustry.biz today where he talks about working on Wasteland 2, but more importantly he says he is very tempted to do a Planescape sequel via Kickstarter, or rather a spiritual successor (without the D&D rules) that is to Planescape as Fallout is to Wasteland.

http://www.gamesindu...-chris-avellone

Don't tell the missus but honest to god if Avellone ever did this I WOULD GIVE HIM ALL MY MONEY

Got my Double Fine Adventure t-shirt and poster last week (and a badge and a couple of postcards). Poster is really high quality thick paper, and the t-shirt... actually fits me.

If anyone else backed it, there was a gorgeous bit of concept art from an isometric perspective for shadowrun returns recently, I'll fish it out if I can and update its own thread...

Some Wasteland 2 in motion, taken from a speech Brian Fargo gave at Unite 2012. Doesn't really tell you much but then it wasn't really meant to, does look good in motion.

From following that link, I just now only realised that Jon Hare and Chris Yates (the original founders of Sensible Software, if you're a young 'un) also made Wizball. I don't know how I missed that over the years, they are probably my two favourite ever developers now.

Where's Wizball HD on XBLA ?!

Wizball? Pah, it's all about Wizkid!

Ah, the good old days, when relatively major releases weren't afraid of a bit of surreality.*

*admittedly, a "relatively major release" of the time would have been equivalent to a modest indie release now in terms of manpower and expense, so it's fairly understandable.

The good old days when a relatively major release took about half an hour to load. Kids these days...

Although I don't want to 'do a Rubber Johnny' but when you haven't got the ability to make really realistic tears! ( © David Cage ) games were a lot more abstract and weird.

Wizball? Pah, it's all about Wizkid!

Ah, the good old days, when relatively major releases weren't afraid of a bit of surreality.*

*admittedly, a "relatively major release" of the time would have been equivalent to a modest indie release now in terms of manpower and expense, so it's fairly understandable.

Wizkid was the second game I played where the solution to a puzzle came to me in a dream.