rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
RubberJohnny

SimCity 5 - What a load of rubbish

Will the review scores change once they fix these server problems if they are marking them down currently?

God knows. Sites like polygon are only making life more difficult for themselves by doing this. I notice GiantBomb's review only went up today, and it's a 3/5 (that reads somewhat on the low end of that score), that takes into account the terrible online infrastructure issues. That's how to do it, instead of rushing to publish a gushing review of a game you played under controlled conditions, which harms your site's reputation, screws customers and is only of benefit to EA.

The review is worth reading and in depth, as usual when Alex Navarro is writing them. http://www.giantbomb...eview/1900-563/

Well it would matter to be because my progress from about 7pm to 10pm last night would have been saved.

I'm now in a queue too busy to login, If I switch server I can login but then it says I have no saved games at all even though they're meant to be playable from another server (I think?).

EDIT: Still fucked. I guess I'll try again at work when the US have gone to bed.

I'm not sure, but i noticed last night i have two cities in one region. I gave 100,000 simoleons from one to the other. It came out of my balance from one, but i never received it with the other.

So - RR3, Dead Space and now this. How's this new strategy working for you EA?

That depends on one thing, sales figures. All the bitching is for nought if it sells well. We bitch whilst they swim in cash

In work now and connected fine. At home I'm connecting through a BT hotspot through a US VPN so I guess that's not helping.

No excuses if it doesn't work fine from the weekend though! But I do think it's funny how upset people get. I'm sure it'll all be fine in a day or two. #firstworldproblems

I'm not sure, but i noticed last night i have two cities in one region. I gave 100,000 simoleons from one to the other. It came out of my balance from one, but i never received it with the other.

Some people say it can take a while.

EDIT: Spoke too soon - Connected fine but can't change server and if I load the default one it goes to the tutorial with no save games.

Origin says I've played 11hrs! All gone by the look of it.

Surely they should review what Maxis have developed and not what EA have forced?

They should review the product. Not one component of the product which has been severely hampered by the other - the whole thing.

If it was released onto Steam would the review suffer if Valve/Steam had issues?

I would certainly hope so. Sympathy for developers is all well and good, but the reviewer's primary concern is (or should be) the people who'll be paying money for the game.

The game itself is amazing fun, I think, when it works. It's rare I sit and play a game solid for 7 hours or whatever it was. And I would gladly start again from scratch. And again and again.

The only thing I don't like about it is the map size. It's too small. Not bad if you're creating a cute little town but try to make a huge city and it fills out so quick.

But I do think it's funny how upset people get. I'm sure it'll all be fine in a day or two. #firstworldproblems

Origin says I've played 11hrs! All gone by the look of it.

Doesn't that strike you as a pretty terrible flaw to allow in a game? Especially when it sounds not entirely uncommon?

Well I dunno if my saves have been lost yet. I think the servers are having issues which isn't helping. Also I'm not even meant to be playing the game until tomorrow. People like me connecting when we shouldn't be are probably part of the problem :lol:

Of course I'd have preferred an offline game though. Although that might change once/if I get to experience the multiplayer.

Expect the exact same thing later this year with Battlefield 4. Wonder if the games media will nut up following this and actually call them on it then.

Odd that Morrius disappeared after saying this wasn't anything to be afraid of and would be good for the consumer.

What, exactly, is the point of this post? Unless he's deleted his posts, he's not participated in this thread, so I'm really confused about where you're coming from and what you're talking about.

I managed to get on and thought I'd go through the tutorial to get rid of it but it failed loading the second city during the tutorial and now I can't get back on.

Yesterday I started around 10:30am without issue so hopefully it'll be ok by then.

Expect the exact same thing later this year with Battlefield 4.

Absolutely. EA must have looked at how Diablo 3 both eliminates the second-hand market, and remains un-piratable, and decided they can't go forward in any other way.

Regarding the capacity issues, I'm not forgiving them, but I can totally see this from EA's perspective. If you look at the concurrent player figures for any new game with an online component, you'll see a near-vertical drop-off in numbers from the moment the game launches. The actual number of players who you'll need to provide any kind of support for beyond the first week will be a fraction of the total, so why pay for all the infrastructure you need to support everyone to a satisfactory level, when even 48 hours later you'll probably only need half of that? It's a problem I would have hoped elastic computing would have resolved by now, with the ability that gives you to spin up new virtual hardware, quickly deploy your server images, and keep them only for as long as you need, but it doesn't seem to be a technology anyone in gaming is taking advantage of.

• Upvote 1

As mentioned, the problem isn't just at launch though - the need to store stuff on the server has massively reduced the scope of the game, meaning you get like 8 cities to link up instead of "as many as you want on your hard drive" - it affects everyone negatively, as well as the game itself.

Not to mention the absurdity of making a server based game that'll be turned off in 18 months for a series where the last entry was 10 years ago.

Absolutely. EA must have looked at how Diablo 3 both eliminates the second-hand market, and remains un-piratable, and decided they can't go forward in any other way.

Regarding the capacity issues, I'm not forgiving them, but I can totally see this from EA's perspective. If you look at the concurrent player figures for any new game with an online component, you'll see a near-vertical drop-off in numbers from the moment the game launches. The actual number of players who you'll need to provide any kind of support for beyond the first week will be a fraction of the total, so why pay for all the infrastructure you need to support everyone to a satisfactory level, when even 48 hours later you'll probably only need half of that? It's a problem I would have hoped elastic computing would have resolved by now, with the ability that gives you to spin up new virtual hardware, quickly deploy your server images, and keep them only for as long as you need, but it doesn't seem to be a technology anyone in gaming is taking advantage of.

Sure, but do you think they'd have these server issues if it was a free-to-play game, and they knew their only chance of getting paid was making it playable by millions concurrently? I'm not convinced. Dropoff be damned, if you're making a game that requires a constant connection you simply have to ensure you have more than enough capacity for week-one numbers, and scale down from there.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I have some sympathy for launch loading issues. But only some. 1 - it's entirely self-inflicted, 2 - There's no reason they couldn't just spin up loads of cloud CPU at it for launch, is there? Just stick a load of Amazon AWS or whatever at it.

Wonder how much of that drop-off is due to people who have the audacity to try and play their shiny new game on launch, have an utterly miserable time and think 'fuck it'. and move onto something else.

• Upvote 3