IGNORED

Fable: The Journey

roskelld

This is a side-story, it's not a sequel, and it's a very different beast from the other games. It's not really fair to compare it.

Why isn't it fair? The whole point of it being a Fable game (as opposed to a new IP) is to make people think it's the next in the series.

Why isn't it fair? The whole point of it being a Fable game (as opposed to a new IP) is to make people think it's the next in the series.

No, it's a spin-off. It's like saying Link's Crossbow Training was a step in Zelda's decline. Okay, The Journey is a little more substantial than that, but you get my point. It's a game that takes place in the same universe. It's not Fable IV.

Danbot, in the interests of full disclosure, I've already been to Guildford to preview the game. Played it for three hours and rather enjoyed it. Then obviously I climbed back in my gold-plated Hummer that I bought with all the bungs I get from publishers for giving their games high scores because that's exactly how games criticism works.

Danbot, in the interests of full disclosure, I've already been to Guildford to preview the game. Played it for three hours and rather enjoyed it. Then obviously I climbed back in my gold-plated Hummer that I bought with all the bungs I get from publishers for giving their games high scores because that's exactly how games criticism works.

I knew it!

• 2 weeks later...

That Destructoid Review is hilarious:

The fatal flaw of Kinect games is that they are built on a foundation of lies.

You are the controller -- except most games control much of the action themselves to make up for the lack of input. It's more immersive -- except the waving of your arms at nothing just makes you feel incredibly self-conscious and alienated. It's intuitive -- except the lack of tactile feedback and inherent imprecision of the input makes it far more unwieldy than button-based games. It's always better with Kinect -- except it never, ever is.

Fable: The Journey is the story of one man falling in romantic love with his horse. That is, at least, the impression I get of the relationship between protagonist Gabriel and the equestrian companion we spend most of our time with. There's some incidental storyline involving an ancient evil and Gabriel's heroic destiny, but the most pressing concern is clearly how much Gabriel wants to take that horse out to dinner.

A 3/5 from Giantbomb, a 7.2 from IGN. Hardly craptastic is it. Opinions seem mixed but instead i guess we should just focus on the negative ones to suit our pre-judged opinions on how we want the game to turn out. Fucking gamers man.

Mostly-average scores, with a few hitting very low figures + Kinect = No Hope Left.

Plus, of course, average scores really meaning "fucking shit" to most reviewers.

Serious?

completely. those scores are hardly disasterous are they? Unless you're one of those awful people who think that anything getting less than 9or above is garbage. In the quick look Brad says the game is alright and you know what, in that video it does. The destructoid review is awful, fuck people who feel self concious playing a god damn videogame!

If you are that worried about what other people think then perhaps you are not thebest person to be reviewing a game and giving your own honest opinion

I'll grant you that the 'self-conscious' thing is a bit silly, but the scores are pretty much a wobbly line - you can't expect people to just dismiss them when they're so inconsistent.

and that is completely fine but to call it craptastic is slightly off when the post linked to covers a range of opinions from bad to good. That is all i had issue with.

Well that and the way good scores are deemed mediocre just to back up pre existing opinions.

I agree that some are a little too quick to want to damn this to hell. You're obviously going to enjoy it more if you're a Fable fan, and not entirely closed-minded to the idea of a game that exclusively uses Kinect as a control method. It's far from perfect, but I think some of the kickings it's getting are harsh to say the least.

I played the demo, it is very polished and great fun when it works, but it doesn't a lot of the time and becomes frustrating. It really doesn't matter if it is on rails or not, what matters is it fun, and sadly because Kinect hardware is lacking it isn't. The only thing that failed a lot of these games was the cut back hardware, they could have worked but I guess it was too expensive to produce better harware.

• 2 months later...

Well, this tanked here didn't it. I got this for a tenner from Simplygames before Christmas and have put a few hours in now and it's fun. Yes, there are times that the tech doesn't work, and the repetitive movements can give you sore shoulders but it does manage to feel like it belongs in the Fable world. I haven't played Fable III (ironically because of the loathing directed towards it on here) but have rinsed the first two and would consider myself a fan of the series. Not one who is blind to the ways in which they didn't live up to their promise (hell I even remember selling Black & White at launch!) but one who can appreciate the way in which the storyline complements the main games. For me, it feels as valid a game as Dead Space Extraction; another on-rails game that seemed to be universally hated by all those who hadn't played it. It's not the reason why I bought a Kinect - that was for games for my daughter and Your Shape Evolved - but it is worth picking up now it has been discounted so heavily. Not exactly a ringing endorsement I know but I do feel that it is a game that more open-minded (i.e. non-waggle haters) gamers could have a lot of fun with.

tl;dr If you aren't completely against the idea of Kinect gaming, give it a try.

The main character's a bit of a dick though...