IGNORED

Good new horror films

squirtle

Just watched Men. Loved it, but I can see why it's only got a 40% audience score on rotten tomatoes. It's not a straightforward "quiet quiet loud" horror film to appeal to the Conjuring or Saw crowd. And it's not as good as it thinks it is, but there's some really lovely and weird imagery in there, and it's obtuse with a lot to unpack. 

On 05/07/2022 at 07:00, Papaya Dance said:

Watched A Tale of Two Sisters this week. Korean horror, genuinely moving. Don't want to give much away but one of the best horrors I've seen in a while. 9/10.

Its an all time classic, while not similar but horror related watch I saw the devil.

On 29/06/2022 at 00:47, squirtle said:

Anyone watched Dark Glasses yet? Argento's latest. It's fucking awful.

Not yet but it's queued up. I'm not expecting greatness that's for sure, but I'm at least hoping for competence. I'm thinking it can't possibly be worse than Mother of Tears and - oh my God - Dracula 3D.

5 minutes ago, Sabreman said:

Not yet but it's queued up. I'm not expecting greatness that's for sure, but I'm at least hoping for competence. I'm thinking it can't possibly be worse than Mother of Tears and - oh my God - Dracula 3D.

Just wait until you see the physics defying car crash.

On 20/06/2022 at 18:39, Arn X Treme said:

I've just watched the first episode online.

Wasn't thinking much of it at all (Don't rate Colter as an actor) but with the introduction of George followed up with Ben Linus I've got the second episode buffering as I write this.

Providing they keep those two characters, I'll keep giving it a try until it sticks.

I'm watching episode 4 now, and while I've been enjoying it so far, the tech plotline they've been building is proper crap. This episode is absolute bullshit nonsense.

25 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

I'm watching episode 4 now, and while I've been enjoying it so far, the tech plotline they've been building is proper crap. This episode is absolute bullshit nonsense.

I'll be honest I'm not sure which episode four is right now.  

I'm down to the last two episodes of season two and I'm trying to save them while I wait for more of season three to be released. 

It took me ages to remember where I knew the lead woman from and it finally came to me the other day that she's the Man In Blacks  daughter in Westworld.

29 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

I'll be honest I'm not sure which episode four is right now.  

I'm down to the last two episodes of season two and I'm trying to save them while I wait for more of season three to be released. 

It took me ages to remember where I knew the lead woman from and it finally came to me the other day that she's the Man In Blacks  daughter in Westworld.

It was the episode with the

Spoiler

The haunted AR goggles

The main plot, with the boy who's either possessed or a psychopath was fine, if quite on the nose, but the part I've spoilered really didn't work for me.

Incantation is really good, its my style of horror. Found footage + Paranormal/Supernatural type are always so fun and interesting!. Highly recommended.

Black Phone is bizarre. Zero drama, zero jeopardy, zero point. It’s the most dramatically impotent film I’ve watched in ages. 

Spoiler

A man in a crap mask kills some kids offscreen somehow, and then catches a kid and does nothing with him for a while. He is completely non threatening and does absolutely nothing for the entire film. 

Meanwhile the kid receives phone calls from the previous victims for some reason and they tell him how to not get killed. All of the advice they give him is useless and eventually he kills the man in the crap mask anyway and escapes (after already escaping once).

There’s also a subplot about his sister being psychic which is rendered pointless by the fact the boy escapes by himself. And the subplot about the police hunting for the killer is also made pointless by the fact the boy does all the work and kills him anyway. Even after the police decide to follow the lead of the psychic girl. They find a few bodies over the road but they’re already dead so that’s that.

Also there are multiple scenes of children beating the shit out of each other for some reason, making the basement of the killer look a lot less dangerous than going to school. 

I don’t get it at all. It could work with a few tweaks, for example what if the focus was on the sister as the protagonist, and she was navigating visions of the previous victims while communicating with her brother via the psychic talisman of the black phone? What an odd, wet flop of a film  

On 10/07/2022 at 08:34, yakumo said:

Incantation is really good, its my style of horror. Found footage + Paranormal/Supernatural type are always so fun and interesting!. Highly recommended.

Cool. I'll have a gander tonight.

On 09/07/2022 at 23:34, yakumo said:

This was ok. Reminded me of Noroi. Which is very high praise.

On 15/07/2022 at 00:48, Moz said:

Black Phone is bizarre. Zero drama, zero jeopardy, zero point. It’s the most dramatically impotent film I’ve watched in ages. 

Hide contents

A man in a crap mask kills some kids offscreen somehow, and then catches a kid and does nothing with him for a while. He is completely non threatening and does absolutely nothing for the entire film. 

Meanwhile the kid receives phone calls from the previous victims for some reason and they tell him how to not get killed. All of the advice they give him is useless and eventually he kills the man in the crap mask anyway and escapes (after already escaping once).

There’s also a subplot about his sister being psychic which is rendered pointless by the fact the boy escapes by himself. And the subplot about the police hunting for the killer is also made pointless by the fact the boy does all the work and kills him anyway. Even after the police decide to follow the lead of the psychic girl. They find a few bodies over the road but they’re already dead so that’s that.

Also there are multiple scenes of children beating the shit out of each other for some reason, making the basement of the killer look a lot less dangerous than going to school. 

I don’t get it at all. It could work with a few tweaks, for example what if the focus was on the sister as the protagonist, and she was navigating visions of the previous victims while communicating with her brother via the psychic talisman of the black phone? What an odd, wet flop of a film  

Spoiler

It's all a bit religious innit? The sister laments God or Jesus or whatever for not helping, then the black phone rings and all the dead kids say what they tried, and all of their plans come together in a reasonably creative and quite possibly guided way to get him free. 

I dunno. I really enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for a summer ghost movie with big King vibes though.

I kinda agree with @Mozto a certain extended.

There are things that I did like and some of the ideas I thought were well executed but nothing really happens and Moz is totally right 

Spoiler

about the sub plots with the sister and police. They try to pull the bait and switch but it means nothing because we know from the timeline and her visions that everything that's happening with her is happening the same time as stuff with him.

So it wasn't even a case of we think the cops are going to get him, they find an empty house and we come to realise that Finney is already dead and The Grabber won and fucked off.

If you're not going to go full in with the bait and switch depressing ending then at least have her visions be the thing that saves him. 

But I did like parts of it and I'd say its a decent 3/5, but I'm failing to see why it's being hyped up so much.

Obviously it doesn't quite fit in with the title of the thread, but I've been catching up on old films and watched Sinister last night.

Spoiler

I really do think it's a few minor changes off being a classic.

• Cut out the jump scares of Boogie man appearing in front of the camera as they make no sense and aren't needed. (You can keep the shot of him looking at him through his laptop, that one was creepy as fuck)
  • Make the kids much scarier. And none of the shushing nonsense.

The growing sense of dread and overall idea for the plot are both great, and with a better execution it would have been a great horror.

I honestly think the kid in the box near the start is one of the best scares I've ever seen. No gore, nothing technically that couldn't be shown in a PG, but made me shit myself. Not literally.

On 09/07/2022 at 23:34, yakumo said:

Just finished this off after falling asleep mid way through last night. It was pretty good, thanks for the recommendation.

A couple of decent jump scares and some brutal moments! It did feel quite padded to me at an hour and fifty minutes though, I think they could have comfortably whizzed twenty minutes off it and made it a tighter film, but it’s certainly one of the better found footage horrors. I think REC remains my favourite.

I watched Watcher today and again wondered what the fuss was about. It’s competently made at least, but there’s very little drama to be had. 

Spoiler

The killer turns out to be the creepy weird loner stereotype we’re told/she thinks it is all along. After evading the police for ages and even framing someone else for it or getting lucky, he decides to murder the woman who lives next door to another woman he’s on record harassing, and then gets caught in the act and murders her too. And then she’s magically alive again and murders him. Ok? Meanwhile the 2D husband character has no interest in his wife being stalked at all and she eventually gets to say I told you so.

There’s no real subtext to get your teeth into, no twists or reveals, and only competent forgettable filmmaking guiding you to the foregone and forced conclusion.

I’m not sure what this recent trend of bone-dry plodding anti-thrillers is all about but I’m not into it!

Surely a much more interesting ending would have been for Burn Gorman to simply be a low-IQ janitor/carer with an odd way about him, and for her husband to be the killer? That way his gaslighting makes sense, because he knows it’s not Burn Gorman decapitating people. And there’s a more interesting thread where she realises she’s been harassing an innocent man while missing the killer under her nose. OK, it’s a little more cliché, but at least it’s not a deflating anticlimax. Maybe her husband tries a second time to frame the killings on someone else, this time Burn Gorman, but the prior conversation between Burn and the protagonist on the train reveals a bit of info which causes her to see her husband’s lie. Then a bit of tension as she races to save the life of Irina. 

There’s at least a bit of subtext and a message you can draw from that. The serial-killer element becomes almost incidental and secondary to the revelation that the protagonist has become the accidental antagonist by making assumptions etc  

I did laugh when I thought “this bit reminds me of It Follows” and then realised it was the same actress, at least. 

Incantation is ludicrously boring, 99% filler. It can’t even get the quiet quiet bang jumpscares right. A really ineffective film on every level. 

I've got a presentation to prepare for Weds, woke up at 1pm then put Sinister on which seems to be a higher level than a lot of recent horror. The sense of impending disaster as Ellison goes into his isolated research means the presentation will have to wait. 

4 hours ago, Moz said:

Incantation is ludicrously boring, 99% filler. It can’t even get the quiet quiet bang jumpscares right. A really ineffective film on every level. 

You've basically explained 99% of Asian horror.

Watched a new one last night called She Will which has been getting good reviews from Kermode and others. It's about 'An ageing film star retreats to the Scottish countryside with her nurse to recover from surgery. While there, mysterious forces of revenge emerge from the land where witches were burned.' It's a mix of folk-horror and supernatural thriller.

I thought this was good but probably not worth some of the raves it's been getting. There's loads of nice imagery but at times it feels like lots of weird stuff happening but no plot to tie it all together. The two leads are excellent and the Scottish scenery looks beautiful. It's a debut feature and I'll definitely keep an eye out for future releases from the director. 

3/5

On 16/07/2022 at 08:15, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It's all a bit religious innit? The sister laments God or Jesus or whatever for not helping, then the black phone rings and all the dead kids say what they tried, and all of their plans come together in a reasonably creative and quite possibly guided way to get him free. 

I dunno. I really enjoyed it. I'm a sucker for a summer ghost movie with big King vibes though.

Yup I'm with you.  Really enjoyed it.

Not scary in the slightest bit a good tale told well. 

Must try harder to remember opinions are like arseholes and some people's stink.