Good new horror films

squirtle

I did enjoy that section in VHS 94. Perfect aesthetics and the lead was excellent. Wasn’t quite sure where it would go. The shot of

Spoiler

The girl seeing her reflection was pure horror and utter sadness and repulsion.

Not as good as his VHS2 section, but worth seeing. And you could just skip to that section, the single films don’t have any real bearing on the bookends.

VHS 94 was mostly shit, with a couple of very interesting ideas. Mostly in the segment people have been mentioning.

On this basis, I will absolutely be watching the next one when it inevitably arrives too. 

On @ImmaculateClump's recommendation, I also checked out Son. Yep, it's pretty damn decent

2 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

I thought The Night House was a great piece of work. Kept the jump scares to a minimum and had me properly scared at times. 

Yeah its really, really good. One of the only movies which lived up to the hype and more, in comparison to something like say Saint Maud which I was half expecting Night House to be like but was a far better movie.

I really liked the visual motif with the antagonist, I could have done with a lot more of that. Perhaps hidden through the film like Lake Mungo/Hill House. It was a little too humdrum at times and took a while to start firing on all cylinders. 

I know the chat is a few days old, but signing up directly to Shudder and signing up to Shudder through Prime are 2 different services so your credentials aren't transferrable.

I thought V/H/S 1 was decent in places, the second one was absolute garbage but 94 was actually pretty decent all round. Not a must see but has a load of gruesome practical effects which would have made it a video nasty in the 80s.

I watched the first episode of Chucky and the first two episodes of the new I Know What You Did Last Summer this evening and they've both nothing to write home about.

IKWYDLS is the better of the two, I've always had a soft spot for the film. This has the same basic setup, group of teenagers accidentally kill someone and a year later all kinds of weird stuff starts happening to them. This was decent but like a lot of TV these days take ages to get going - the first episode is 50 minutes long and could easily be cut down to 10 for the amount of story it's telling. It looks decent and there's some interesting kills but it's a bit flat or something. I'll probably watch a few more.

The Chucky show is exactly as you'd expect - wisecracking, killer doll starts murdering a bunch of people. I was never crazy about the films so this didn't really land for me. Chucky himself is well done though and the voice acting is decent.

History of the Occult

Low budget Argentinian film about the last episode of an investigative television show and how it could reveal the biggest conspiracy known to man - linking the government to an actual covern.

Really well told, intriguing. Been hearing about it for a while and it definitely lives up to its hype 

Just watched the night house as well.

Enjoyed it as well. Thought it was going to go full House of Leaves at one point but nope it was much simpler than that.

One thing I still don't get mind 

Spoiler

I'm guessing the bodies in the other house werent real but what did they metaphorically represent. Excuse my stupid. 

Spoiler

My read on it was that the bodies were real and that her husband had purposely sought out women who looked like her and killed them in an attempt to trick the demon into believing that he had genuinely killed her as it had been urging him to.

The Deep House 2021 - possible one of the worst horror movies I seen for a while, premise sounds OK but crappy acting, low budget and just scenes of people swimming underwater is boring. Possible influenced by my tooth ache being in a grumpy mood, total shite.

5 hours ago, MechE said:
  Reveal hidden contents

My read on it was that the bodies were real and that her husband had purposely sought out women who looked like her and killed them in an attempt to trick the demon into believing that he had genuinely killed her as it had been urging him to.

This was my take too. 

On 25/10/2021 at 22:11, squirtle said:

This was my take too. 

Watched it last night and that was my initial take on it aswell. However, my other half's take was ...

Spoiler

That her husband was just a serial killer and using all the "protecting her from the demon" thing to rationalise his need. We already know that she died when she was 17 and she saw nothing so maybe all the demon stuff was her coming to terms with the fact that he was responsible for killing multiple women, which I think is also a plausible read of the situation.

I've just started getting really into horror. Recently I've really enjoyed Hereditary, Midsommar, Mandy, Beyond the Black Rainbow. Can anyone suggest their favourite films from the last 20 years or so I can add to my list of films to watch?

6 hours ago, Timmo said:

I've just started getting really into horror. Recently I've really enjoyed Hereditary, Midsommar, Mandy, Beyond the Black Rainbow. Can anyone suggest their favourite films from the last 20 years or so I can add to my list of films to watch?

Off the top of my head

The Thing

The Shining

Alien

The Exorcist  1 & 3

It Follows 

Evil Dead

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Blair Witch Project

The Descent 

Hellraiser

Trick Or Treat

The Fly

REC

Re-Animator

Misery 

In the Mouth of Madness

Autopsy of Jane Doe 

Creepshow

The Changeling

The Witch 

Ju-on

Ringu

Dark Water

Shutter

Let the Right One In

Descent

NIght House

17 minutes ago, Timmo said:

There's tons. Recent ones off the top of my head...

Train to Busan - South Korean zombie mayhem

One Cut of the Dead - Japanese one-take zombie thing

La Llorona (not The Curse of La Llorona) - spooky goings on in the family home of a bad Guatemalan general

Thelma - Danish lesbian Carrie

Extra Ordinary - like Father Ted but with ghosts and not written by a cunt

6 hours ago, Timmo said:

Notable stuff from the last 20 years that I can think of (and roughly in order of how much I like them):

Noroi: The Curse (2005)

Kotoko (2011)

Pulse (2001 NOT the remake)

The Wailing (2016)

The Witch (2015)

Lake Mungo (2008)

It Follows (2014)

Raw (2016)

November (2017)

Lords of Salem (2012)

Terrified (2017)

Host (2020)

His House (2020)

Saint Maud (2019)

Although I should maybe say to take them with a pinch of salt as I don't really like Ari Aster or Panos Cosmatos' stuff. 

My favourite horror movies:

1. The Thing (1982)

2. Susperia (1972)
3. Hellraiser (1987)

4. Posession (1981)

5. Get Out (2017)

6. It Follows (2014)

7. The Devil’s Backbone (2001)

8. Sleepaway Camp (1983)

9. Angel Heart (1987)

10. Goodnight Mommy (2014)

EDIT: To be clear, these are not necessarily the best, just the ones I enjoy rewatching the most.