Good new horror films

squirtle

9 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

A few I watched recently that I’d not seen before and really enjoyed (sure you’ve seen these but just in case):

Goodnight Mommy - Creepy

The Skin I Live In - Although this is technically a Hitchcock-Esque thriller it still weirded me out more than most recent horrors

Haunters: Art of the Scare - Documentary, but The section on McKamey manor was far more disturbing than most actual horror films, particularly as the guy running it clearly got off on fucking people up. 

I also really enjoyed the two four hour ‘In Search of Darkness’ docs, which were great for suggesting some forgotten gems from the 80’s. 

Thanks, I have seen both of those films and great shouts.

One I always mention that I find not too many have seen is The Eyes of My Mother, I wont say anything more than to say just go watch this  :)

9 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

The Skin I Live In - Although this is technically a Hitchcock-Esque thriller it still weirded me out more than most recent horrors

This is a great movie! Technically maybe not exactly horror but I'd recommend it to anyone who likes horror movies.

1 hour ago, marcus said:

One I always mention that I find not too many have seen is The Eyes of My Mother, I wont say anything more than to say just go watch this  :)

Added this to my list. Will watch it tomorrow or friday.

2 hours ago, Sane said:

This is a great movie! Technically maybe not exactly horror but I'd recommend it to anyone who likes horror movies.

I'd say it absolutely is horror. It's not gory or explicit, but the ideas contained with it are unquestionably horrifying ideas.

People use thriller as a shorthand for 'PG-13 horror' too often. It's a different thing, though they can overlap a lot.

On 16/09/2021 at 18:09, Dark Soldier said:

Candyman

A film of exceptional style with a solid premise. Unfortunately it's handled rather poorly. Oh what could have been.

It's decent enough, just not quite as clever as it appears to believe it is.

Are you talking about the new one? 

I like where they went with it. 

20 minutes ago, NexivRed said:

Are you talking about the new one? 

I like where they went with it. 

Yep.

I felt the message put across was very heavy handed and ultimately it felt somewhat forced.  The original short story touches more into this message in a far more subtle way.

It looks stunning in places and the paper puppet work is delightful when used but it's not really a horror.

Spoiler

It came across more as a grimdark Superhero origins movie than an actual horror.

12 hours ago, Goose said:

Was it VHS2 that had that awesome section by Gareth Evans, set in the Doomsday cult? 

Yes, I recently watched this and that segment is pretty amazing gruesome and batshit mental.

I love horror anthologies, two of my favourites are oldies, the Nightmare at 20000 Feet story from the Twilight Zone Movie, and General the cat vs the breath-stealing troll in Cats Eye.

Candyman was pretty good, a decent twist on the concept. Not particularly scary though.

I wasted an evening yesterday on Spider-man Far From Home. I wish I watched another horror movie.

19 minutes ago, Sane said:

Candyman was pretty good, a decent twist on the concept. Not particularly scary though.

Enjoyed this up to the last half hour or so, which I found pretty terrible :( It felt rushed, and tacked on to the rest of the film. I loved the setup and loved where it was going, but it totally ruined it for me.

Spoiler

The laundromat guy was awful. Gah.

18 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Enjoyed this up to the last half hour or so, which I found pretty terrible :( It felt rushed, and tacked on to the rest of the film. I loved the setup and loved where it was going, but it totally ruined it for me.

Hide contents

The laundromat guy was awful. Gah.

Yeah that seemed weirdly tacked on and unnecessary. 

The best part of Candyman was the the shadow puppetry throughout and the super prominent use of reflections in almost every shot is really impressive to me. The problem I had with this new one was it is as subtle as a brick. It felt kind of insulting having every little thing explained to me like a child. Disappointing.

I watched the first half of It Chapter 2 yesterday until I fell asleep. Now I was tired even before starting but I was not very engaged by it. Should I finish it or just forget about it? I really liked chapter 1 btw, but the grown up actors weren't really doing it for me.

2 hours ago, Sane said:

I watched the first half of It Chapter 2 yesterday until I fell asleep. Now I was tired even before starting but I was not very engaged by it. Should I finish it or just forget about it? I really liked chapter 1 btw, but the grown up actors weren't really doing it for me.

I just finish it, but I'm one of those people that no matter how bad the film is I still finish it.  However, if not just avoid it, I didn't think it was great either.

Also Midnight Mass is out!!!!

Finally watched Malignant last night. Had a great time with it. 

Loved the Argento colour palette of the film. 

Thought the tracking shots in one take following her around the house was superb from the ground floor and around (was it CGI or a real set? 

Loved how batshit crazy it went. 

And I think they made the main actress look very much like Daria Nicolodi in her prime. Even down to her haircut. 

No one gets out alive (Netflix)

I rather enjoyed this tbh. Some rather spooky scenes. A good tale. Doesn't overstay it's welcome and most importantly for me 

Spoiler

A truly fucked up looking creature that reveals itself at the end. Really think it's like nothing I've seen before. 

I thought 'Coming Home in the Dark' walked the line between horror and thriller really well. Started off as a New Zealand version of Wolf Creek or Deliverance then turned into something totally unexpected. I really liked it and the director is one I'll look out for in future. 

Edited by Silent Runner

On 30/09/2021 at 20:16, cassidy said:

I rather enjoyed this tbh. Some rather spooky scenes. A good tale. Doesn't overstay it's welcome and most importantly for me 

Reveal hidden contents

A truly fucked up looking creature that reveals itself at the end. Really think it's like nothing I've seen before. 

Ooh, the book was fantastic! I'll have to watch this :D Thank you.

Aw man, those character were so specifically british. I was worried when I read that, but I think it worked, overall.

It wasn't the same as the book and they left out a lot of the best bits and changed lot of things, but I enjoyed it.

It could have been better, but it could have been far worse.

A solid 3 bagger, I'd say. Definitely worth a watch!

On 30/09/2021 at 20:16, cassidy said:

Reveal hidden contents

On 03/10/2021 at 00:04, ImmaculateClump said:

Aw man, those character were so specifically british. I was worried when I read that, but I think it worked, overall.

It wasn't the same as the book and they left out a lot of the best bits and changed lot of things, but I enjoyed it.

It could have been better, but it could have been far worse.

A solid 3 bagger, I'd say. Definitely worth a watch!

I utterly hated it. It's nothing like the book at all. The actual evil entity is completely different and the ending....FFS

Spoiler

How does a tiny woman with a broken ankle get a large man down countless flights of stairs and chain him to a sacrificial table? 

It didn't work at all for me. 

If I'd watched this and it had a different title, I wouldn't have had a clue it was based upon Adam Nevill's book.