IGNORED

Good new horror films

squirtle

10 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

I really like the ending although I realise a lot of people don't but I also really like witch / coven based folk horror fare.

Hereditary’s ending? It was perfect, for me. Suitably grim horror ending.

41 minutes ago, Silent Runner said:

Had an absolute blast with Malignant. It was probably trying to keep too many plates spinning but it was totally worth it for the last 30 minutes. 

Definitely, its like a homage to the type of movies we see in the late 2000s.

1 hour ago, Silent Runner said:

Malignant -

Hide contents

the bit when Gabriel cleaned out the two cops by hurling a chair about 70 feet at them is the funniest thing I've seen in ages. 

The whole thing is farcical once they get to the Police Station, its just goes balls to the walls and is proud of it.

Just finished Malignant. What a weird film. For the most part it’s one of those polished but weirdly bloodless early 2000 PG13 horror movies like 13 Ghosts or Gothika, then it just suddenly turns into an 80’s low budget gorefest for the last 30 minutes.

Spoiler

Still, it’s nice to finally be able to see what a Platinum Dunes remake of Basket Case would have been like. 

Edited by Silent Runner
Added tags for a potential mild spoiler.

I do love this new artsy/dramatic/thought provoking style of horror (Hereditary, Midsommer, Babadook, etc.), but movies like Malignant remind me of why I fell in love with the horror genre in the first place. It’s wacky, action packed, doesn’t always make a lot of sense, and just a fun time. I don’t care to know why Gabriel has super powers, I don’t care how cheesy the dialogue and acting was, I don’t care about the plot holes. I had a fucking great time watching the movie and had a smile on my face nearly the entire time. 10/10 for me

Aw man, I get what you're saying. The ingredients were all there, it could have been a brilliantly fun romp, but it didn't work at all for me.

So badly made. Terrible script, terrible acting.

It was knowing but without the sense to lean into that, without the wit to make that enjoyable, just flat, dead humour, and when it played things a bit more straight, it was emotionally numb and too light.

I like it when the tone is all over the shop, but this was just flat nothingness. They needed to ramp up the horror. It should have taken itself way more seriously for that first hour and a half rather than it just feeling like a dumb comic.

I'm with ya. I bailed on Malignant. Having to watch 70 minutes of tedium first before it becomes fun isn't my bag. Its similar to the 'game gets good after x hours' thing.

There needs to be a slither of a draw before the pay off. It felt like Wan wanking himself off with camera tricks.

The new Conjuring is shit, unsurprisingly. I thought the first was good for about the first half. The second was good for maybe the first quarter from memory. This continues that trend by being good for absolutely none of its runtime. Competently made but with no tension, scares or interesting events or characters.

As a big horror fan who lives with others who are not I usually don't get to indulge much in my hobby. But I suddenly have some time alone the next few weeks so I've queued up a long list of horror movies to watch (largely inspired by this thread) :). So far I've watched Color out of Space and A Quiet Place part 2

Color out of Space was a bit disappointing. Maybe I was expecting too much or I wasn't in the right frame of mind but it didn't seem to have much substance. I liked the visuals and some of the body horror stuff was very well done, but ultimately nothing really interesting happens. You basically know immediately what's going to happen and more or less how it will play out.

A Quiet Place part 2 was good but also a bit pointless. It's well made with some tense scenes and good acting but it doesn't really add anything to the first movie. Also the monsters just aren't that scary.

Next up: Saint Maud and Possessor!

14 hours ago, Sane said:

As a big horror fan who lives with others who are not I usually don't get to indulge much in my hobby. But I suddenly have some time alone the next few weeks so I've queued up a long list of horror movies to watch (largely inspired by this thread) :). So far I've watched Color out of Space and A Quiet Place part 2

Color out of Space was a bit disappointing. Maybe I was expecting too much or I wasn't in the right frame of mind but it didn't seem to have much substance. I liked the visuals and some of the body horror stuff was very well done, but ultimately nothing really interesting happens. You basically know immediately what's going to happen and more or less how it will play out.

A Quiet Place part 2 was good but also a bit pointless. It's well made with some tense scenes and good acting but it doesn't really add anything to the first movie. Also the monsters just aren't that scary.

Next up: Saint Maud and Possessor!

I enjoyed COOS but if you want to see some real Cage mayhem you need to watch Mandy.

45 minutes ago, max renn said:

oof! that's some double bill man you're gonna need happy pills after

I will do one at a time. Today Saint Maud, Possessor tomorrow. I'll keep the pills handy.

2 hours ago, marcus said:

I am at a point whereby I am struggling to find good-to-decent horror movies that I am yet to see.  I might instead go on a spate of re-watching horror movies until something else catches my eye.

Have you seen November, Naboer, Sauna and I Remember You?

Just trying to chuck out some more obscure ones!

3 hours ago, marcus said:

I am at a point whereby I am struggling to find good-to-decent horror movies that I am yet to see.  I might instead go on a spate of re-watching horror movies until something else catches my eye.

A few I watched recently that I’d not seen before and really enjoyed (sure you’ve seen these but just in case):

Goodnight Mommy - Creepy

The Skin I Live In - Although this is technically a Hitchcock-Esque thriller it still weirded me out more than most recent horrors

Haunters: Art of the Scare - Documentary, but The section on McKamey manor was far more disturbing than most actual horror films, particularly as the guy running it clearly got off on fucking people up. 

I also really enjoyed the two four hour ‘In Search of Darkness’ docs, which were great for suggesting some forgotten gems from the 80’s.