Jump to content

Good new horror films


squirtle
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

Has anyone seen this yet?

 

 

I watched five minutes of the start the other night while I was cooking, and it seemed OK! But was wondering if anyone has seen it before I invest time in it?

Have a look a few posts above yours!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, JPL said:

Have a look a few posts above yours!

 

Apologies, I don't know why that didn't show up on mobile.

 

https://decider.com/2021/07/14/a-classic-horror-story-on-netflix-stream-it-or-skip-it/ - It's a SKIP IT from these guys. 

 

Other reviews basically say to not bother watching it if you are expecting anything decent or new, so it'll sit on my not going to bother pile then. 

 

There you go, saved you guys some time too!

 

At least there's Fear Street & Escape Room to watch tonight instead....

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

 

Apologies, I don't know why that didn't show up on mobile.

 

https://decider.com/2021/07/14/a-classic-horror-story-on-netflix-stream-it-or-skip-it/ - It's a SKIP IT from these guys. 

 

Other reviews basically say to not bother watching it if you are expecting anything decent or new, so it'll sit on my not going to bother pile then. 

 

There you go, saved you guys some time too!

 

At least there's Fear Street & Escape Room to watch tonight instead....

 

 

No worries.

 

I’m going to give Werewolves Within a go tonight I think. Looks like a lot of fun from the trailers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JPL said:

No worries.

 

I’m going to give Werewolves Within a go tonight I think. Looks like a lot of fun from the trailers.

 

I've got it set to watch but not got that far yet. 

 

Is it based on the party game "Werewolf" does anyone know? If anyone has ever played it, they'll know how easy you could translate that into a film.

 

All the positive reviews for it makes me think I'll enjoy it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Arn X Treme said:

 

I've got it set to watch but not got that far yet. 

 

Is it based on the party game "Werewolf" does anyone know? If anyone has ever played it, they'll know how easy you could translate that into a film.

 

All the positive reviews for it makes me think I'll enjoy it. 

It’s based on Werewolves Within by Ubisoft. Not that I’ve played it mind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Arn X Treme said:

Has anyone seen this yet?

 

 

I watched five minutes of the start the other night while I was cooking, and it seemed OK! But was wondering if anyone has seen it before I invest time in it?

This thing was Texas chainsaw meets Midsommar meets A Cabin In The Woods. But done as poorly as possible. Cinematography was beautiful I’ll give it that, but that’s it. Story was derivative and clumsily executed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fear St. 1666 was pretty good - but I was a little confused by the end.

Spoiler

And I was happy when it switched back to 1994 - Oasis and the Offspring made me smile. I enjoyed the series overall, 1978 was my favourite. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Silent Runner said:

Fear St. 1666 was pretty good - but I was a little confused by the end.

  Hide contents

And I was happy when it switched back to 1994 - Oasis and the Offspring made me smile. I enjoyed the series overall, 1978 was my favourite. 

 

What do parts were you confused about?.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, yakumo said:

What do parts were you confused about?.

 

I kind of zoned out a bit

Spoiler

when they were making their plan but I didn't understand why the monsters were attacking some people in the mall (the cops, the sheriff) and ignoring others (the kids and the janitor). I know it was something to do with the day-glo blood but I wasn't paying attention. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

 

I kind of zoned out a bit

  Hide contents

when they were making their plan but I didn't understand why the monsters were attacking some people in the mall (the cops, the sheriff) and ignoring others (the kids and the janitor). I know it was something to do with the day-glo blood but I wasn't paying attention. 

 

 

Spoiler

They killed the cops because they were in the way, its why Gillian Jacobs tells the janitor to stay out of their way as they will ignore them.

 

The Sheriff, the big bad was "Carried" with the blood, so its why the monsters turned on him.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Silent Runner said:

There a new Purge film out. Anyone seen it? I like most of the films in that series (the TV show is wack) so I'll check it out at some stage over the w/e.

Awful. It's so cringe. 

 

 

The Hunt was better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, krenzler said:

Anyone seen The Empty Man?

Yes and it was actually pretty good. 

Very cosmic horror and told well. 

 

Finally saw Caveat last night. Really enjoyed that, had some proper creepy moments especially those scenes  at the end. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vicious fun on Shudder is very poor.  It's a good idea the serial killer meet up, it's why Gaiman wrote it in a issue of sandman in 1990. 

 

Needed a better script, better cast and better acting. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've finally got a copy of the below, which is supposed to be incredibly fucked and is causing a stir. Been chasing it for a while. Its not available anywhere, really, so if you want the link let me know.

 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_scary_of_sixty_first

 

https://www.berlinale.de/en/programme/programme/detail.html?film_id=202105883

 

https://variety.com/2021/film/reviews/the-scary-of-sixty-first-review-1234919297/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Blood red sky was a great action horror. Don't watch the trailers but would recommend. Blame me if you dislike it but was not expecting anything but came away impressed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/07/2021 at 21:28, Dark Soldier said:

I've finally got a copy of the below, which is supposed to be incredibly fucked and is causing a stir. Been chasing it for a while. Its not available anywhere, really, so if you want the link let me know.

 

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_scary_of_sixty_first

 

https://www.berlinale.de/en/programme/programme/detail.html?film_id=202105883

 

https://variety.com/2021/film/reviews/the-scary-of-sixty-first-review-1234919297/

that sounds mint would love a link :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched Saint Maud last night (now it’s on Amazon Prime) and really enjoyed it. The griminess reminded me of Mike Leigh’s “Naked”, and the general atmosphere was spot on. That bit with what she does with her shoes had me squirming. 
 

I read that Taxi Driver was an influence too, which makes sense, the shots of her walking the streets of Scarborough at night worked really well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Tried watching Fear Street 1994. Utter tripe and about as scary as a boiled egg. Also, why is it rated 18?

There's a really bloody gorey death towards the end.  Other than that. No reason. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not new, but new to me, I very much enjoyed The Night Eats the World, currently on Amazon Prime. Bit of an art house zombie film. 
 

One bloke has the run of a Parisian apartment block following a zombie apocalypse. It follows his methods for survival, fears and frustrations. Feels very natural. It’s slow but not dull, looks fantastic (some very nice interiors, albeit smeared with blood), and a great central performance. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watched The Scary Of Sixty First, enjoyed it although its not a horror as such.  What it is is very difficult to explain and I think I need to let it digest a bit.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spoiler

"It's like a modern giallo. Very tongue in cheek."

 

I wrote in another thread.

I spoilered it because

Spoiler

I think that really added to my enjoyment of the film, not being quite sure about the tone and where it's going at times. It was a slow burn and I think it really helps if you're not expecting one thing or the other, because I think this can be fun and trashy and playful and provocative and that doesn't have to mean that that's all it is. I think the way it blurs the line is it's main strength.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.