Good new horror films

squirtle

I enjoyed Conjuring, its mainstream horror I should loathe but I really like Patrick Wilson and Vera Farmiga as the Warrens. Thankfully it was not a straight forward possession movie, although it was in places  but somewhat different enough to be entertaining. Weakest of the lot, but I still enjoyed it.

Watched Caveat again, and despite its issues I just love the scenes with the mother. Reminded me of the chills I had when I watched Ringu and Ju-on, haven't had that unnerving feeling for a loooonnng while. Also the film was made for half a million?, still subscribe that horror movies work best when they're limited in budget and have to come up with ways to be more creative i.e Evil Dead.

On 05/06/2021 at 11:34, Silent Runner said:

Caveat has been on my list for a while - I'll watch it over the weekend I think.

Anyone watched Liseys Story? I really like the book but it's got a bit of a kicking and the trailers didn't really sell it.

Only one episode in so far and it's a pretty faithful adaptation of the book, which isn't a ringing endorsment tbh. Very trippy and meandering with lots of questions lingering and horror hinted at but not shown. It might pick up - iirc the book did - but found the first one a bit of a slog.

Watched Deerskin last night and had a blast! 

Its a film about a guy who really, really loves his deerskin jacket.  

Adèle Haenel is also in the film, which is a major plus in my book.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed In The Earth for the most part, but word of warning for anyone who is sensitive to strobes/flashing imagery, the latter part is full of it and even for me was a hard watch on a big screen.  

4 hours ago, marcus said:

I enjoyed In The Earth for the most part, but word of warning for anyone who is sensitive to strobes/flashing imagery, the latter part is full of it and even for me was a hard watch on a big screen.  

I had to pause this about 40 minutes in last night because something came up, but it was really dragging so I don't know if I can be arsed resuming it. Does it pick up in the second half?

I really enjoyed A Field In England but I was finding this pretty dull in comparison.

53 minutes ago, PK said:

I had to pause this about 40 minutes in last night because something came up, but it was really dragging so I don't know if I can be arsed resuming it. Does it pick up in the second half?

I really enjoyed A Field In England but I was finding this pretty dull in comparison.

Mentioned a few posts back and a few of us didn't really enjoy In the Earth, worth just finishing it off really if you already started.

4 hours ago, yakumo said:

Censor is out

Just saw it. I was kinda hoping/expecting it to go in a different direction. Similar to Saint Maud in some respects but yeah disappointing after all the hype.

On 18/06/2021 at 17:04, yakumo said:

Mentioned a few posts back and a few of us didn't really enjoy In the Earth, worth just finishing it off really if you already started.

Thanks, I watched the rest of it last night. I found the build-up far too dull, and the visually interesting stuff was too infrequent.

The strobing was much less effective than how it was used in A Field In England, which at certain points manages to perfectly capture what it's like to be tripping off your nut and how horrifying that can become.

Watch In the Earth on the biggest screen you can find. Wheatley revisits A Field in England but with added synths. Reece Shearsmith just loves this role, you can almost see him licking his lips at one point. 

In the earth is a proper pile of pants!

Edit: i see ive picked up a posirive already by stating its rubbish. I get it that its amazing if you are into your arry farty film pieces, but this is just a load of ARSE.

I will give you a tip. Go and watch The Borderlands instead. Thats proper unnerving.

Hmm, I thought The Borderlands was okay, but pretty obvious and telegraphed. Suggests I'd really hate In The Earth.

What did you lot who didn't enjoy In The Earth think of The Witch or Midsommar?

3 hours ago, Scribblor said:

Hmm, I thought The Borderlands was okay, but pretty obvious and telegraphed. Suggests I'd really hate In The Earth.

What did you lot who didn't enjoy In The Earth think of The Witch or Midsommar?

Loved both of them. In The Earth doesn't create a sense of creeping dread as effectively as The Witch, nor a sense of unnerving 'wrongness' as well as Midsommar does.

Which is a shame, because the central premise should have provided opportunity for both - which coupled with the type of psychedelic strobing sequences in A Field In England would have made for an amazing film.

(And for what it's worth I think The Borderlands is a mediocre found footage film with an utterly terrifying final five minutes!)

I thought the final five minutes were the worst part! But thanks, it seems like I won't be going out of my way to watch In The Earth. Shame, as I loved A Field In England, Kill List and High Rise.

5 minutes ago, Scribblor said:

But thanks, it seems like I won't be going out of my way to watch In The Earth. Shame, as I loved A Field In England, Kill List and High Rise.

Oh it's not terrible, I was just a bit underwhelmed because I loved A Field In England and was really looking forward to another psychadelics-based horror from Wheatley. I would still say it's worth watching.

I also stopped it 40 mins in and watched the rest the following night, so I'm probably not going to provide the most reliable review!

I watched Saint Maud knowing nothing about it. I wish I hadn’t - or at least looked it up first - as it brought to mind things I’d rather not have. 

I watched a girlfriend I had maybe 15 years ago, decline into mental illness and at the same time become more and more religious (Evangelical Christian). It got to the point where I was terrified she was going to seriously injure or kill herself (or me). There were so many parallels with this film such as how she’d flip from being extremely pious to the complete opposite and back again.

So, Hunter Hunter.

Family out in the woods being terrorised by a wolf. Father goes off to hunt it, leaving his wife and child behind. Very slow burn that turns into an unholy fuck me of an ending.

95% of this is an exceptionally slow thriller with some blood/gore (animal skinning etc). The other 5% is fucking 80's horror throwback insanity.

And due to that of course I loved it. One of the ending scenes is similar to another horror great.

11 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

Anyone seen bloodmachines? I saw a vfx breakdown of it on a YouTube channel  (corridor crew). I think it's more Sci fi than horror but looks totally mental. 

Been on my watch list for ages. (it's not horror as far as I know) 

I'm a big fan of Synthwave and Carpenter Brut so I need to get round to it sometime. 

Trailer for the new Halloween film which seems to be the whole film in two and a half minutes. I didn't really like the first David Gordon Green Halloween which turned Laurie into a horror version of Sarah Connor - this loos like more of the same. 

Just watched Gaia, I loved the early parts, showed so much promise but it lost me a little towards the end.  Some nice design and effects, and beautiful rainforest scenery.  I enjoyed it but I need to let it sink in a little. 

It's been mentioned a couple of times earlier in this thread, but I watched Possum last night and thought it was fantastic. Really got under my skin. It's not a traditional horror, but I think if you enjoy films like The Witch or Under The Skin, you might get something out of Possum.

I watched Saint Maud the other night. Really liked it. It looks gorgeous - the photographer in me wanted to make images in those sets with that light. Plus it's always interesting to see films set in places you know.

5 hours ago, Scribblor said:

It's been mentioned a couple of times earlier in this thread, but I watched Possum last night and thought it was fantastic. Really got under my skin. It's not a traditional horror, but I think if you enjoy films like The Witch or Under The Skin, you might get something out of Possum.

Have you seen Cronenberg's Spider? I watched that around the same time and they complimented each other nicely.

Spider is amazing!

Recommend Vicious Fun, maybe I had low expectations but it was better than I expected and just a whole lotta fun.

Werewolves Within is another recommendation, both are comedy horrors but definitely both are great watches if you have time.

Can't wait to watch 8th Night, my kind of horror.