Good new horror films

squirtle

17 minutes ago, Avuncular said:

Is it any good?

I enjoyed it, especially Niamh Algar who is proving watchable in everything she’s in.

The film is low-key, more of a drama edge to it than cattle-prod horror but the atmosphere is decent. As much as I liked it, think the ending will be both decisive and divisive. Fully expect pretty polarised reactions to it.

• 1 month later...

Excited to watch Ben Wheatley's new horror into the earth but found it absolutely shit. Be interested to hear what other people think, but I did not like it all.

On 08/05/2021 at 01:53, yakumo said:

Excited to watch Ben Wheatley's new horror into the earth but found it absolutely shit. Be interested to hear what other people think, but I did not like it all.

It was shite, predictable & shite.

On 13/05/2021 at 10:48, Arn X Treme said:

It was shite, predictable & shite.

When I heard the excellent Clint Mansell score a month or two ago I already knew that would be the highlight of the film but it's still disappointing that Wheatley again fails to deliver. His first couple of films were incredible and showed so much promise but since then...

On 15/05/2021 at 08:37, Arn X Treme said:

Wow.

You've hit it big when you're doing a Statham movie. 

I was very high when I watched The Meg 1, but I really enjoyed it. It knew exactly what it was, and Statham was great, hamming it up in exactly the right way. I swear at one point he winked at the camera. But as I say, I wasn't in a very critical state of mind.

Neil Marshall's Shudder exclusion "The Reckoning" is properly unwatchable poopoo, and not in a good way. Avoid avoid avoid unless you want to watch a deeply pointless of misogynistic waste of time.

Psycho Goreman and Fried Barry are out now though...

I've got the next week off so I'm going to watch some rubbish and report back!

On 05/04/2021 at 11:52, three1ne said:

The Vigil is an absolute must see in the category of low budget/first time director horror.

I haven't watched this yet but I've just seen the premise. Is it based on the father Ted episode?

I really enjoyed Psycho Goreman. The name was a bit off putting, but once I realised it was essentially Power Rangers directed by Lloyd Kaufman, I was all in. Really impressive what they pulled off with a budget of about 10p. 

And it ends with a rap song about the lead character over the end credits. 

On 05/04/2021 at 11:52, three1ne said:

The Vigil is an absolute must see in the category of low budget/first time director horror.

I said this a few posts back, not because I want some award to be first because the film is just damn great, and no one is talking about it. Really, really enjoyed it.

Also Seance is shit, if you're a teenager it probably be half alright.

On 23/05/2021 at 17:19, yakumo said:

I said this a few posts back, not because I want some award to be first because the film is just damn great, and no one is talking about it. Really, really enjoyed it.

Also Seance is shit, if you're a teenager it probably be half alright.

Finally watched The Vigil last night. Highly recommended. Tense as fuck.

After watching A Quiet Place, my son (13) is now keen to start watching some horror, so we're making tentative forays into the classics, with me wracking my brain for how appropriate (or not) each film is for that age. We watched the Daniel Radcliffe "Woman in Black", which I still think is a cracking ghost story and made him jump a couple of times. We watched Troll Hunters (the found footage one), which was loads of fun.

We've watched Alien (and Aliens), Lost Boys, that kinda thing. We watched Cronos, which is a lot slower than I remember, and he just thought that was 'OK'. Then Blair Witch Project yesterday, which went down really well. He was not impressed when I was stood in the corner of the lounge last night when he came in 😀

Thinking of letting him watch The Shining next, but skipping past the naked woman/hag bit. He doesn't need to be sat next to his dad for that kind of footage. Also The Thing. Not Halloween, though; nothing that has sex stuff in it, really.

We have the original Dark Water on DVD, and a couple more del Toro joints.

Any other recommendations? Are any of the classic Hammers good? Keen he gets a good rounded view of the genre without getting properly disturbed!

An American Werewolf in London is pretty tame by modern horror standards, but is still one of the classics in my eyes. See what he thinks of that.

Evil Dead II as well. Another classic. You could even watch Ash vs Evil Dead if he likes that. It’s an excellent series, but it’s a shame it was cut short.

"Fright night" and "The Gate" spring to mind.
Trying to think of stuff that didn't scar me :D

Me and my sister were all over the omen films. We watched them a lot.

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

An American Werewolf in London

Really? That scared the crap out of me so much that I still can't watch it to this day!

My sister would ruin my life by putting the video in when i was sitting at the table, knowing I'd be too frightened to turn around and walk out of the room and would have to just sit there, shuddering, hearing every nightmarish sound.

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

Evil Dead II

Good shout! Excellent. This is the one! Perfect age, that should go down very well :D

5 minutes ago, JPL said:

An American Werewolf in London is pretty tame by modern horror standards, but is still one of the classics in my eyes. See what he thinks of that.

apart from the shower scene, obv.

The Monster Squad

Gremlins

Housebound

What We Do In The Shadows

Warm Bodies

Happy Death Day

Get Out

Tremors 

Poltergeist

Paranormal Activity

Ginger Snaps (bit borderline this one)